So what happening in your garage this weekend?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Front suspension bushes on the TR4a.

I'm also in the process of rebuilding a Morris Minor van. We are spoilt in the TR world. Cannot even obtain door skins for the van, so had to remove the skin, repair frame and skin with repair panels from East Sussex Minors. Will attempt to get one door on its way today.

Going to be a long job but hopefully a very useful home utility vehicle once completed. Ideal for collecting all my TR spares!

Kevin

Fitting hidden anti theft imobilisor switch given Phil's terrible week, this seems like a warning shot !

I was thinking of breaking into the wire prior to the Inertia switch, is this a good location and if so what amp age rating switch do i need ? will 16 amp do as i have one spare.

Forum thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Pop a relay in Andy. Then any subtle little switch will be ok. Or: if you relay the whole immobiliser link (mine burned out so it's not a bad plan anyway) you can break into that circuit without issues.

MT

Oh-and it's pi$$ing down in this neck of the woods so the TR is staying under cover...

Hi Les

Replacing rusted metal without spending money is not only a good idea, but a sound principle for a proper restoration.

Too many people are jumping to the easy route to readily by replacing every panel in sight due partly to ease of availability, without considering the possibility of a true restoratioon of a wing/ bonnet/ door skin etc.

A large sheet of steel can go a long way and is cheap! Like the work you've done.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

Every seam on the car had rotted out, so no chance of patching holes here and there. Body flopped about like a wet cardboard box when removed from the chassis, which was also rotten and distorted.

Should have been scrapped but I took the plunge and got stuck in.

Started with new floors, inner and outer sills, and a new boot floor. Using a replacement chassis as jig rebuilt it from there. Most of the inner structure of a sidescreen car is made from flat sheet steel so a metal folder is my most useful tool. It now looks like a TR2 again!

Link below to over 230 more restoration pictures.

IMG_6290_zpszp25kulm.jpg

Regards

Les

Edited by Les

Finally got round to rebuilding the TR3A's control head - it was 'fun' when the the indicator mechanism decided to send its little springs, brass connector strips and other fiddly bits across the kitchen!

13319732_10206886241489763_1116538794691

Cheers

Andrew

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2016/03/0058/TR6-Full-rebuild

23rd May
While the bits are away at Envirostrip I decided to turn my attention to the engine.I removed the gearbox and put engine on engine stand.I was concerned about the weight by using the threads in the block so I enlarged 3 of the holes in the plate and one of the starter holes which was large enough,I attached the block using sturdy bolts and nuts (see pic) having removed the head first to reduce the weight.I removed rear oil seal and housing first.I will replace the oil seal and ali casting with the engine on the bench.After I took the head off I was able to see the condition of the bores which to me looked quite good with no stepping (See pic).The pistons have an 'A' stamped on their tops so I assume it is an original engine and never been bored out.I say that because there is some mystery about the engine as the number does not match the factory record.So it has been replaced at some time with another original unbored engine.Will always welcome comments from tech members regarding method of going forward,bearing in mind In the next few days I will strip the engine completely and check the crank wear and try to get some idea whether to go for a full rebuild or maybe just re ring it.I dont want to go to the added expense of a full engine rebuild if in fact it has only done a small mileage.

Pics on link

Richard.

Edited by Richard Young

Removed the Rad from my TR6 as it running warm. The rad weighs a ton even when empty so I assume its fairly well blocked so exchange unit ordered.

Also fitted bushes to my throttle pedal, as they had disappeared, together with new cable. There seems to be something wrong with the travel though as when the pedal is fully depressed the throttle butterflies are only about 2/3rds open. I would have expected full throttle to open the butterflies fully.

Chris

Hi All

Replaced the rear strap holding the exhaust (broke at Laon and had to wire it up, but don't think this would be acceptable for theMOT next week)

Now sitting in the garden getting quietly p****d

Who's round is it

Cheers

Nigel

Got back home from N Wales Group run out to Llyn Brenig, sat down outside with a coffee,

and saw a male Hawfinch 50 yards away. Only birders will appreciate - and a first for me.

Penance is tomorow - new wiring for the water injection.

Peter

Removed the Rad from my TR6 as it running warm. The rad weighs a ton even when empty so I assume its fairly well blocked so exchange unit ordered.

Also fitted bushes to my throttle pedal, as they had disappeared, together with new cable. There seems to be something wrong with the travel though as when the pedal is fully depressed the throttle butterflies are only about 2/3rds open. I would have expected full throttle to open the butterflies fully.

Chris

If its a Prestige linkage then a bit of bending is required, we have come across this before.

Stuart.

Started the 6 for the first time in my ownership! (it's been off the road since 2000)

Have replaced all fuel lines, cleaned & sealed tank and had all fuel related items (including original Lucas pump) reconditioned by Neil Ferguson and the distributor done by Martin Jay(excellent chaps!)

Sadly the oil pressure pipe has a crack in it so wasn't able to run it for long! New one ordered so looking forward to hearing it run again soon.

Regards

Roger

Finally got round to swapping the attractive but useless Bullet style wing mirrors on my TR6 for standard Tex style that you can actually use.

Followed up by fitting a Tow bar to my 4yr old Kia Sorrento.

God, I hate modern cars!

Steve

PS

Just an after thought.

Following my glowing review of Chrome Bullet style wing mirrors, anyone want them?

Used but in pretty much new condition. Less than 1/2 price new.

Say £18.50 inc P&P to UK otherwise up on Ebay when I can be bothered.

S

Edited by Stevecross

Welded in studs to replace the sheared bolts that hold the heater to the underside of the dash top panel. Thought it would be a pig of a job but the welding gods were smiling on me :-) now just need to get the acre resprayed..

Cheers

Tim