So what happening in your garage this weekend?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with both heritage rear inners. Had to cut them up and remove metal is some places, grind down the arch opening in some places and indeed weld in metal into the arch in other places to get them fitted. Got there eventually. I haven't got to the fronts yet but they are waiting for me. I have one replacement which is a NOS panel which I bought on ebay (red primer but with lots of surface rust) and the other is a heritage panel from Rimmers so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two when I get to doing them.

Fitted a relay for my electric cooling fan which has run without one for 15years. Now works ok with one.

fitted a computer so I can do a poll about polls and what age my colour is

Peter W

PS Set up the oxy/propane torch kit and tested it by undoing some very seized screws.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Today I seam welded the bottom of my nearside A Post. Then had my first attempt at lead loading which is bloody difficult!. the outcome is not perfect by any means, but I'm very happy with it. Its quite hard to grind/sand the lead flat! especially when you put it on in big dollops like ice cream.

post-12473-0-56346900-1471206643_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-91502000-1471206665_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-60876000-1471206712_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-32226900-1471206732_thumb.jpg

Yes you may struggle to get the wing to sit in so the swage lines up with the sill line with that little of a cut in. Its been a problem with all the repro sills for years. A small cut along the edge and up on each side of it then tap it in a bit more and re-weld will make all the difference then a little lead over it to finish and get a nice clean edge will pay dividends.

Well done though for seam welding the post in. If it hadnt been for me doing that on my 4a when I built it (Same as I do with all of them) then I probably would have been injured in the accident I was in the other night as the rear wing was flattened up hard against the "B" post with the side swipe it took.

You shouldnt really use power tools on lead filling unless you are using a very good mask and proper PPE as you dont want to be ingesting lead dust.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I wore a mask - one of the better quality dust masks. Not sure if this was/is good enough. How do you flatten the lead without power tools? I found it very difficult to flatten in the curves!

Thanks Stuart. I wore a mask - one of the better quality dust masks. Not sure if this was/is good enough. How do you flatten the lead without power tools? I found it very difficult to flatten in the curves!

Body files/80 grit and perseverance! It also helps if you have the patience to shape it near enough to start with but that really comes with practice. Ive been doing it since the 70`s and I still struggle sometimes to get intricate shapes right first time!

Stuart.