So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Well done boys, I have to say Steve i'm impressed with your panel reproduction abilities , Sean not sure if you purchased the DVD from trr shop on lead loading, I went to the seminar run by Stuart at iwe , having not seen the DVD Stuart used a stainless steel bone handled kitchen knife like the ones our grandparents used (mine did) . Great for smoothing out the lead. I keep looking in charity shop's haven't found any yet. Anyway well done both and keep up the good work.

Mark

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Well done boys, I have to say Steve i'm impressed with your panel reproduction abilities , Sean not sure if you purchased the DVD from trr shop on lead loading, I went to the seminar run by Stuart at iwe , having not seen the DVD Stuart used a stainless steel bone handled kitchen knife like the ones our grandparents used (mine did) . Great for smoothing out the lead. I keep looking in charity shop's haven't found any yet. Anyway well done both and keep up the good work.

Mark

Here you go Mark http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mixed-Lot-of-8-Large-Vintage-Firth-Stainless-Steel-Table-Knives-Butter-Knives-/262566936528?hash=item3d22357fd0:g:SVIAAOSwTZ1Xly0r

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on my other classic, an MG midget.

Changed the gearbox oil, refilled the differential, tightened the gearbox bolts (solving knock) and fitting a USB port.

Goodwood next weekend if the weather's good.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Mike, have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Sometimes get annoyed with new panels that don't fit, but now I expect it, it's just a question of getting on with it

Credit where Credit is due :):)

Can understand the frustration :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mike. B)

I have been modifying the wiring so that all the high current switching is via relays. I already had a relay for the fuel pump but added further relays for Ignition, high and low beam and Radiator fan. I also replaced the fuse box with a 10 blade unit that comes with connectors to allow multiple circuits to be fed from a single feed. A master fuse to the fuse box supply.

I made a mounting plate out of aluminium to fix the new fuse box and relays to so that I didnt have to drill any new holes in the inner wing. The loom was stripped back so that I could add some extra cables for the additional alternator feed, fan and so that I could pick up the feeds for the lights.

All worked OK except that once started I couldnt turn the engine off. This was due to enough current passing back through the alternator warning light cct to keep the ignition relay coil energised. A series diode in the warning light feed sorted out that issue.

Chris

post-13559-0-25245300-1473241879_thumb.jpg post-13559-0-07509500-1473241778_thumb.jpg

Edited by TRsixchris
On 8/16/2016 at 10:33 AM, stuart said:

Picked 6 of these knives up at local flea market 50p each , wife commandeered 4 for the kitchen . Brand NOS

Bargain just need lead and thinning stuff.

Edited by Mark69

Pete,

I don't why an ignition relay is a problem. The relay feeds all the ignition switched circuits except the fuel pump and fan (although it does feed the relay coils of these) and this is common practice in vehicles today. As well as improved lighting and protection for the wiring loom I wanted to reduce the load on the cars switchgear including the ignition switch.

Chris

Edited by TRsixchris

Pete,

I don't why an ignition relay is a problem. The relay feeds all the ignition switched circuits except the fuel pump and fan (although it does feed the relay coils of these) and this is common practice in vehicles today. As well as improved lighting and protection for the wiring loom I wanted to reduce the load on the cars switchgear including the ignition switch.

Chris

Personally Chris I wouldn't risk a relay failing and leaving me without ignition on a motorway in the overtaking lane. It's not a high current item either. Your choice as always though.

• 3 weeks later...

Being a total newbie to restoration I found myself in a position whereby I had restored the chassis without realising that the body needs to be restored on my nicely painted chassis (not happening).

So after many weeks I have finally finished the body rotisserie, Let’s hope it works !

BTW Does anyone have a use for the jig that I used to transfer the chassis measurements to the rotisserie as I am just going to cut it up for the metal?

Cheers

Rob

errr.... yes...!

about to start my own restoration and planning to take the body off once i replace the floors.

i would like to make sure that the chassis is in good order, particularity the back as it seems that my door gaps getting bigger at the top after two years of driving it very very gently...not...!

let me know if its still about..cheers

nick

Hi Nick

Yes still about, and the rate my restoration is going i will be for some time. Sorry the jig a used to transfer the measurements to the rotisserie has been cut up.

I have now checked the rotisserie several times and feel that it's accurate enough to allow me to replace most panels with confidence. However the final fitting I will do on the chassis, I doubt that I will be finished with the rotisserie this year, but you are more than welcome to use it when I have finished.

Cheers

Rob

Hey Rob

oh well that a shame... back to good old off the floor measurements.....!

have you got a thread on the progress....? I've just started the strip out of mine and it would be good to compare work and get some tips....!!!

...and your not that far from me either...

cheers

Nick

Steve T very kindly agreed to make me a pair of his front filler pieces. Very good price and I'm very happy with them. Saved a lot of cutting and welding. I fitted the driver's side a couple of weeks ago while I was doing the front inner wing. Worked a treat. Thanks Steve!

post-12473-0-86489300-1476558117_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-54930000-1476558142_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-33199500-1476558169_thumb.jpg