R.i.P Peter Buckles

Many of you will have heard by now that Pete Buckles, one of the founders of Cox & Buckles Spares, the forerunner of Moss Europe, passed away on Christmas Day. 

His passing, together with the devastating fire at the Roadster Factory in America on the same day is a tragic blow to anyone who owns or drives a TR.  

Peter often collaborated with Charles Runyan in getting spares made because the size of the American market made it viable to produce  parts for for the much smaller UK and European market. 

Peter was a forthright person who didn't suffer fools gladly and yet could also be the most generous of people. It wasn't unknown for him to donate parts to people he knew were having trouble with their cars and bills were sometimes never sent. 

His generosity to the TR Register is known only to a few but it should never be forgotten that without his help and support the club could have ceased to exist.

I knew him as a friend for over 45 years and his ability to quote part numbers never ceased to amaze me because he was never wrong.  He was a man with a sharp wit and an encyclopedic knowledge of the triumph marque but in all of those 45 years I never once saw him in a TR  even though he did once own a Dove. 

Our thoughts go to his daughter's and to his partner Irene who was in many ways more than a match for him. 

Hoges 

This is so sad.

I noted that over the last few years Peter was getting a bit achy to say the least.

He was invited to the London Group 40th anniversary in 2010 and he took the trouble to be there. He could have been anywhere better.

And he was very complementary about what was on offer to the guests.

I only knew his friendly polite side of life.

Rest in Peace dear Pete.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I was deeply saddened to read of Peter's demise.

I had known him for nearly 50 years, from his early days in London Road, and worked for him from the days of move to Market Road from Balham right through to the very late 90's.

As Hoges so aptly wrote, Pete didn't stand fools gladly but his generosity, over-arching intellect and genuine care for his staff made him a real pleasure to work for.

I sincerely doubt that the TR world would have developed as it did without him. All TR owners owe him an enormous debt of gratitude.

RIP.

Adam

An enormous loss to us. I think it was Pete who suggested I join the Register 52 years ago whilst I was buying bits from him, stored in one of many lock-ups in South London.

No, he didn’t stand fools wisely, but his intellect, memory and generosity were legion. Who can remember Goodwood in 1979 (?) when John Welburn flipped his TR2. Some quick witted soul started passing round the hat to make a collection to aid John in his repairs. A fair sum was collected and Buckles said he would match it pound for pound - so some wag passed the same hat around again and of course Buckles played ball. It was the way he was.

A good man is gone

james

I only spoke to Pete on a few occasions in the 70's and 80's. I always found him affable, even if there was a hint of Anglo Scottish 'Banter'.

A legend indeed within the longer serving members of the TR Register.

May I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

Cliff

Very sad to hear this.  I'd known Pete for over 50 years and can echo all the sentiments posted above.  His foresight is the reason we are so well supplied with spare parts, all TR owners owe him a massive debt and don't forget that he came back and saved Moss when they were going under at the same time protecting the interests of the TR Register.

He was always very supportive during my years as club treasurer.  I last saw him at our 50th anniversary celebrations at Hopcroft's Holt where he was in his usual fine form and still quoting part numbers.

Mike

Yes, sad news indeed and thoughts are with Irene and the Buckles family at this time.

That said, and from my own experience, has anyone spoken with Irene and sought her permission for Pete's passing to be published on the forum and on Facebook; I know she wants privacy, time and space at this time. So the last thing she wants right now is to be taking phone calls from well meaning but none-the-less intrusive phone calls at such a sad personal time.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Rest in Peace and condolences to the family and friends. 

I also did not know him well, I went up to London in the late 70’s to part exchange a 4-pot engine with a broken crank - I was a teenager on a budget, he was charming, but feeling the minuscule play at the pulley, he told me that I would not be getting the surcharge back. - The rebuilt engine was magnificent!

I was at Goodwood in 79 and remember the well stuffed hat being passed around but not the specifics

Allocated Membership Number can be deceptive as Val Simpson was presented with a whole stack of applications, and some odd things happened!

Terry Simpson, founder, received 104.

I received 152 even though work prevented me attending the first meeting, but I applied.   Ian Gibson, who attended the first meeting, received 180.

It is correct that Darryl now has the lowest number.

Ian Cornish

I was at the 50 years of TR Register evening. It was interesting at that meeting to listen to how Pete Buckle became the TR Register spare secretary, to then go on, work with Pete Cox and together with their contacts form a business that has gone on to provide TR parts amongst others all over the world.

That these two men, and indirectly the Register,  are part of the reason why we have so many TR’s still on the road today.

We all know loosing a family member is difficult for those remaining but there must be some comfort knowing that as a result of providing for one’s family, he also made a difference and brought much pleasure to the likes of me and many more.

Thank you Mr Buckle RIP

RIP Pete,

Even as late as early this month Pete was working hard to support the SDF. I doubt many TR owners  know of his contribution and the debt we all owe to this man.

The efforts he initiated will continue long after his sad demise.
Ian

Never met him but know the name so well. A very sad time to lose such a TR icon. RIP Peter.

I remember the early days with the railway arches and London Road. This is how I kept my car on the road when I was still a student living nearby. thanks very much for the start of Cox and Buckles.

Well done.

Richard & B

I am so sorry to hear this sad news, as I too knew Pete for 52 years and always found him helpful and generous once one had learned to accept his , let us say, somewhat abrasive style......my first dealing with him was in late 1972 when he was trading in TR parts from his home garage in Crossways, Mitcham....he sold me a new TR2 halfshaft for just two quid (all the money I had with me in those shoestring days) and then promptly helped me to change it in the road outside his front gate! How the neighbours must have loved him......a splendid bloke gone, Bill P.

PS  and in all those years I too never saw him drive a TR!

4 hours ago, Bill.P. said:

I am so sorry to hear this sad news, as I too knew Pete for 52 years and always found him helpful and generous once one had learned to accept his , let us say, somewhat abrasive style......my first dealing with him was in late 1972 when he was trading in TR parts from his home garage in Crossways, Mitcham....he sold me a new TR2 halfshaft for just two quid (all the money I had with me in those shoestring days) and then promptly helped me to change it in the road outside his front gate! How the neighbours must have loved him......a splendid bloke gone, Bill P.

PS  and in all those years I too never saw him drive a TR!

I did see him drive his red TR3A.   It was written off not long after that and he broke the wreck on his driveway at No 11.  I bought the wheels and near new tyres they were Dunlop  165 SP sports that probably came from Cox at a fiver a corner.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 12/28/2023 at 11:03 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I did see him drive his red TR3A.   It was written off not long after that and he broke the wreck on his driveway at No 11.  I bought the wheels and near new tyres they were Dunlop  165 SP sports that probably came from Cox at a fiver a corner.

Like Bill P above I never saw Pete drive a TR but he did have a BRG Dove sitting on his drive at home. I wonder where that went? 

Hoges 

When rebuilding my car I remember driving through Old Town Beaconsfield and Pete pulling alongside in his Bentley T2 …I think or was it a Silver Shadow ( good old badge engineering:-) )

Iain