BTW, that 1970 TR6 with 42,500 miles from new............

Ok, I was supposed to be inspecting an original and unrestored 1970 Saffron TR6 last weekend with a view to selling it on behalf of the owner who is no longer able to drive it due a triple bye-pass and sciatica. He has owned the TR6 since 1994 and is only the 3rd owner with a genuine 42,500 miles from new!

Well, I did view the car and it is truly a time-warp TR6; it still wears its original paint, panels (for factory gaps they are impressive!) and it still has its original interior (except for the Motolita), even down to the door seals/furflex! The factory hood and hood bag are still on the car, as are a pair of dealer fitted Lucas fog and spot lamps. The original log book and owner’s manual are also with the car, as is the toolkit.

It’s a little untidy under the bonnet as Dot 4 brake fluid has damaged the paintwork around the brake master cylinder and areas of paint has lifted off the servo, but after all it is 44 years old! Of course there are areas of surface rust that requires attention, but overall the condition is excellent and bears testament to having been Ziebarted from new. Besides, it’s patina has a certain charm. On jacking the car up at a pivot point the doors gaps didn’t budge a smidgeon and both doors opened as if it was on flat ground!

It drives as per the mileage, it is very tight and not a rattle or clonk from the drivetrain; although it requires some new brake pads/bleed and is a non-overdrive car, but hey!

Anyway, during the inspection I had a ‘Victor Kiam’ moment and bought it - I pick it up on Saturday morning!!

I now just have to sell the E36 M3 Evo Convertible to make room next to TuRK in the garage - first viewer is on Sunday!

10153990_10202141230747460_5049656491409

224812_10202141230627457_568299516371390

10155078_10202141223347275_1858673961619

10174835_10202141223227272_7058162773936

10264851_10202141540235197_1661452605466

1560680_10202103174516078_69294079872096

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Well done Andrew, preserve that patina at all costs as there is a new class coming in the competitions that is going to be very hotly contested. The Originality class which will be very welcome after lots of years of long lines of far too shiny concourse cars.

Stuart.

" and is a non-overdrive car, but hey! "

Well yes, most TR6s of the CP persuasion were non-overdrive, I drove plenty of them at the time and overdrive was a rarity.

If I was you I'd keep it as original, the extra 5 or 6 horses are worth more than the overdrive unless you're doing a lot of autobahn cruising.

Nice find.

Cheers

Alec

Great news Andrew! Good to read that you have the sense to recognise a great car and that you are not put off by it's colour (which is great by my standards).

I hope it will give you endless troublefree motoring miles. And like Stuart says: keep it original!

Menno

Well done Andrew!

I may be in a minority, but I actually like the colour.

Is that some form of sound-deadening material underneath the bonnet? Is/was that original?

Regards

Peter

How nice to see an 'original' car, but I thought a 70 car would have had a body coloured windshield surround, like my 69 car ?

I remember in 1971 being so envious of a customer of mine when he bought himself a brand new Saffron TR6, it was what prompted me to go buy my albeit 2 year old 1969 one, which only had 16,000 miles on the clock then (still only 74k today)

Great car. If it is as original as it looks then PLEASE do not touch a thing unless safety issues dictate otherwise.

The proper term for such cars is 'survivor' and these are becoming the holy grail for serious collectors.

Even the dot 4 paint damage is part of the story of the car.

As Stuart says, this is a serious Concours contender in the proper sense of the original description.

See: http://www.survivorcollectorcar.com/

Hello Andrew

I just brought my first TR6, about 6 weeks ago, a CR 1973 model, two previous owners and 51k mileage. This was also Ziebarted at two years old. Mine is not as good as yours from the photos, but has not been molested. The rear wings have been respayed at some stage. I think its about conservation rather then restoration, as long as the car is not deteriorating.

Dave

Very nice, Andrew.

It's interesting that originality is now becoming significant in its own right. In building conservation, this has been the mantra for the thirty-odd years, where the patina of age must be preserved at all cost. In contrast, the mainland European approach is of 'chocolate box lid rebirth', taking the building back to its appearance at first completion.

As Stuart has said, it is becoming more prominent and I saw in the press coverage that there were several excellent examples of untouched originality at Goodwood a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Paul

Andrew (or anyone) any chance of a picture inside the Boot...showing how the Jack, the handle and the Tools were originally fitted please? I can't make 'head nor tail' of the original Jack position and the leather strap in the corner of the boot of mine! :wacko:

Edited by Denis