BTW, that 1970 TR6 with 42,500 miles from new............

GoProTR. The 'Red Thing' on Andrews car is a Maserati Horn Compressor!

I got my 69 TR6 with 16,000 mi on the clock...it was a one owner car. All the hoses were black and yellow stripped, wiper arms and blades were 'semi matt Silver' not 'chrome'...mine never had O/D. Cant remember the HT lead colour, but they had Bakalite Champion right angle plug ends...also the Rubber hoses between the Plenum and the throttle bodies were plain, not the ones with the 'V' shape cast into them. The Gear Knob was a round black ball. And I have the original Black steering wheel.

I would like somebody to show me a picture of the Original jack handle and tiny Jack (I have two) how it stowed in the boot and a picture or description of the original tool kit, mine only came with the Wire Wheel Hammer and thing that fits over the hub nut.

Denis,

Correct, the 'red thing' is a Fiam compressor for the twin air horns fitted at some point in the car's past life and they will wake up the dead!! The wiper arms are the original satin silver, but a previous owner has painted them matt black as the paint is flaking off; the remainder will get stripped off in due course. As far as I know original plug leads were black as are these, but they have been replaced with silicon at some point; not sure cars from CP50001 had Bakelite plug caps though?

Hoses get changed over the life of a car, mine are black and probably not original given the car was recommissioned in 1993 when all perishable rubbers etc were replaced by TR Enterprises. However, I believe the servo hose is the original item being black and yellow.

The plain plastic plenum tubes on your car are correct for its model year as are the 'V' moulded ones on mine - the change point was CP50001 (built from Oct 69). An original gear knob and an original 15" CP satin steering wheel are on my 'to get' list, but I'm retaining the Bosch conversion! However, I will keep an eye out for an original Lucas pump, PRV and filter - all of which I sold last year when I thought I would't get another TR6!!

I don't know how the jack was stored in the boot using the leather strap, maybe it wasn't, but I'll have a 'play' sometime today. I'll take a photo of the small jack and handle and post it; although I note that a number of the tools are missing from the plastic wallet!

Also of interest is the spare wheel - the inside of the rim is painted brown; I'll post a photo a little later.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andrew

I have an original fuel filter, well the CAV aluminium parts less the actual filter!, it's yours if you want it.

Steve

....................................I would like somebody to show me a picture of the Original jack handle and tiny Jack (I have two) how it stowed in the boot and a picture or description of the original tool kit, mine only came with the Wire Wheel Hammer and thing that fits over the hub nut.

Denis,

Sorry, still can't work out how the jack attaches to the leather strap; maybe it's for the toolkit which is also a very tight squeeze?

Some photos below with a few more of the boot area taken this morning here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202210431717441.1073741849.1089104818&type=1&l=d79376b153 - you'll see the previous owner fitted a 6 CD unit in the boot and a player in the glove box, well that kits' on the 'take out or off' list...........

10246387_10202210432277455_5105275486703

10177405_10202210436677565_7149849147734

10264827_10202210436477560_4653419203034

Thanks for the lead Paul,

I'll get in touch with this chap and hopefully he can tell what I should have and find the missing bits.

Hi Andrew

I have an original fuel filter, well the CAV aluminium parts less the actual filter!, it's yours if you want it.

Steve

Many thanks Steve, that'll do nicely! :)

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

JEAN!!!!!!

Did you grab the TR6 plate under the new Belgian rules???? I have written to the DIV about this but have not had a response!

It looks very good - even though I have to say this somewhat begrudgingly...

Best wishes

Hi Andrew,

the brown finish to the inside of the wheel is nothing new, BL standard issue and stayed that way for many years, I've had spare wheels like that on Triumph 2500S, Austin Montego and Rover 820 . . . .

I can probably find you an OE fuel filter . . . . no PRV or pump though.

Cheers

Alec

I have just spent about 30 minutes speaking to the second owner, George Niblett (a very nice chap), who gave me a first hand account of the early history of the 'Saffron survivor' and corrected the history of what I understood to be so. George advised me that he and St, John Bulison-Rush (first owner) worked together in the London Stock Exchange. St. John bought the car new in 1970 and drove it as a daily driver until 1975 (28,000 miles) when his fortune changed and he put the car into storage i.e. up on blocks, covered in old carpets and dust sheets and the engine correctly prepared for a long hibernation. This is where 'Saffy' stayed until George bought from it St John in December 1992 (not 1983 as first thought) paying £4,500. So it spent about 18 years up on blocks - just as well it was Ziebarted from new! George hasn't seen or heard from St, John Bulison-Rush for some years, but has given me a good lead which I shall follow up.

George then asked Steve Hall at TR Enterprises to recommission it which was completed in January 1993 (at a cost of £3,800) and he drove it for 3,000 miles before deciding it was far too nice to take on road rallies, so bought a TR4 which TRE also prepared. He sold the car to Rob Carter (third owner) through TRE in November 1994 for £12,500 (see Oct 1994 C&S ad below), Rob owned the car for 20 years and covered a mere 11,500 mile in that time. Then I bought it!

10311768_10202211882393707_4325603940348

We are meeting up in mid-June to chat further about the car and George said he'll have a hunt around for some old photographs for me to scan; he also road rallies a Swallow Doretti and is having an ex-US TR6 restored at TRE.
The future is bright, the future is Saffron................. B)

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Correct Gavin. If you look at the DIV website you will see that they DO NOT respond on mails or letters :angry: they only provide information by phone. I went 3 times to their office in Alken as they were not able to provide me with the correct information in one time. Make list of preferences and Phone them what's available but check the site for combinations that are possible

Andrew the spare wheel on my 6 is also brown on the inside, it has never been used and the leather strap is not present in my car

I can probably find you an OE fuel filter . . . . no PRV or pump though.

Many thanks Alec, I would appreciate that.

I have a PRV and pump if interested?

Neil,

Thanks, but I jumped the gun on the PRV as the car already has one fitted.............. :wacko:

I'm currently watching a Lucas pump on eBay, but can you please PM with a price?

Andrew the spare wheel on my 6 is also brown on the inside, it has never been used and the leather strap is not present in my car

Jean,

You can't go strapless at your age................. :D

Cheers all

Andrew

Correct Gavin. If you look at the DIV website you will see that they DO NOT respond on mails or letters :angry: they only provide information by phone. I went 3 times to their office in Alken as they were not able to provide me with the correct information in one time. Make list of preferences and Phone them what's available but check the site for combinations that are possible

Thanks Jean, that is helpful. I thought it was weird as I had regularly corresponded with them by email when I got the personal plaque for the X6 - so was surprised not to get a response at all from them. I will give them a ding dong this morning. You didn't hang about did you? :)

Edited by Trigbush

Andrew,

If you miss the BM too much you can always do this:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/08/21/ultimate-motoring-machine-bmw-powered-1973-triumph-tr6/

:) :)

I absolutely LOVE that car……it is the ONLY TR6 I would sell mine for (with the substitution of minilites or even standard steel wheels, it would be just about perfect)

Simon

Andrew,

If you miss the BM too much you can always do this:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/08/21/ultimate-motoring-machine-bmw-powered-1973-triumph-tr6/

:) :)

Paul,

Nice, but no thinks - I'm not missing the M3 at all actually............but I remember that car being built about 4-5 years ago and following it's progress. If I recall correctly, the owner posted the build photos on this forum.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew I sent you a PM.

Chris, your Glovebox contents made me dig mine out...as you can see the contents of mine goes back to 1972...I even found the Dealers note 'Tax Applied for' :lol:

Here I am watching "Flog It" coming from a Naval Aviation Museum.

Their aircraft are being preserved in the condition they were found in .

Planes that have been restored are having layers of paint removed back to their original paint finish . Ie when they we're first built.

To quote the curator"everything was original once" and that's the latest trend. Keep it original.

Is the classic car world going the same way ??

Are cars that have been found to be left unmolested and preserved as is ??

Is "nut and bolt "restoration a thing from the past ??

A friend of mine is a collector of Militaria, Medals & Helmets...and any polishing of the medals or replacing original tatty ribbons is a No No, and reduces the value...Combat Helmets too, MUST be left tatty, and battle scared, any restoration and the value halves and interest is largely lost!

When Bovington Tank Museum Restored their ultra rare WW2 Tiger Tank to running condition they left all the battle damage alone!

I once remember looking at a pre war Alfa Romeo Racing Car in a Museum that had just been Totally restored to better than new condition...as I looked at the brand new unmarked glass windshield and the brand new woodrim steering wheel and brand new re upholstered leather seat...it occurred to me nothing was left that the famous driver who once raced it sat on, held or looked through! Shame, handsome and shiney as it was it had lost it's character! Leave them alone! Just fix the Oily bits!

Edited by Denis

I bought a German steel helmet from a shop in Crete in the1970s.

( I don 't now why, just seemed like a good idea at the time).

Rusty with dents and dings all over it. Remnants of the badges on the side.

What did I do.......painted it in black hammerite.

Ruined it.

That Tiger tank .....what a beast!!

Hahaha! What a Mistaka to Maka! My mates German Helmets are worth between 500 and 2 thousand quid each !!!

But I think we might be going a bit off topic...or are we?...Keep it Original! ....Patina Cars Rule! :D

The same applies to patina with people. There's an amazing amount work that has been done here in Brussels, mostly to the Chanel and fur wearing, small dog-clutching ladies that love to lunch and drive gold coloured M3 and Mercedes 350 cabriolets. There's a few chaps about too, mostly wearing red pantalons.