BTW, that 1970 TR6 with 42,500 miles from new............

I was watching "chasing classic cars" the other night and an interesting comment was made about patina on a barn find cobra. They were going to preserve the dust on the car until they discovered it had had 3 not 1 owner. The comment being that "barn dust is only worth money on a single owner car. "

Cheers

Tim

So Gavin, if we lock up the Brussels Botox Brigade the pubs around the "Grand Place" will soon run out of buisiness :lol: :lol:

Not being a freak of originality I still believe that a TR should look and smell like a TR and not like a pimped up lady cruiser

The same applies to patina with people. There's an amazing amount work that has been done here in Brussels, mostly to the Chanel and fur wearing, small dog-clutching ladies that love to lunch and drive gold coloured M3 and Mercedes 350 cabriolets. There's a few chaps about too, mostly wearing red pantalons.

It's an interesting analogy. Rare to see much interest in a Homo Sapiens GT with 45 years on the clock and no major restoration work. Probably too many of them around.

Strange, on reflection, that collectors of this particular model also appear to prefer the work of the customising industry.

Funny old world.

.............. I don't know what the red thing on the left wheel arch is but it shouldn't be there.

GoProTR. The 'Red Thing' on Andrews car is a Maserati Horn Compressor!

Yep,

10277574_10202252321404657_4176064737721

A few more pics from today's photos session - these are before the cleaning and 'preservation' starts!

10172564_10202252449007847_2093985151699

10305059_10202252444887744_4455504959724

10320532_10202252454447983_7875962600474

603691_10202252446927795_276499154750317

10334244_10202252454287979_4789153935921

10155666_10202252451007897_2710287584036

10171844_10202252482888694_8240442252968

Cheers

Andrew

Keep those original hose clamps - the only people I know who sell the 'correct' ones now are TRF in US, although they say they source them from the UK.

Call me an anorak, but I just insisted that Stuart REPAIR the radiator cap on my Italia - stamped 'Firsat' and possibly only one of 2 surviving on the planet.

Those little details won't be noticed, but you will get pleasure just from knowing they're right.

Welcome to anoraksia madness - it is quite catching.

Welcome to anoraksia madness - it is quite catching.

Paul - yes, it could be if I let myself.............

Better keep your eye out for the correct water pump Andrew

Neil - it works and I'm happy with that.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest ntc

Paul - yes, it could be if I let myself.............

Neil - it works and I'm happy with that.

Cheers

Andrew

Not for long Andrew 3/5000 miles tops have a spare in the boot :rolleyes:

Not for long Andrew 3/5000 miles tops have a spare in the boot :rolleyes:

Well, it was fitted by Cox & Buckles in January 2013 at 41,963 miles and with 42,500 miles now on the clock and, based on its mileage history and your prediction, it's got another four years left in it which will give me plenty of time to find the correct one............with a detachable pulley. ;)

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

Was in IKEA today... I know... should have been out in the car!!

But what did I see....

Looks like IKEA are using old 1970s car colours in their new kitchen range (see attached) and one looks like a direct match for this car....

Now this opens a whole can of worms..

Matching house decor with car colour :)

It is true that I matched my lounge colour scheme with that of the old "gold leaf" lotus 49 e.g. white and maroon with a gold line between (in this case a gold picture rail!).

Tim

post-9977-0-67796500-1400948775_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim D.

.................................Looks like IKEA are using old 1970s car colours in their new kitchen range (see attached) and one looks like a direct match for this car....

This car? - what car is that then Tim?

Cheers

Andrew

I have just spent about 30 minutes speaking to the second owner, George Niblett (a very nice chap), who gave me a first hand account of the early history of the 'Saffron survivor' and corrected the history of what I understood to be so. George advised me that he and St, John Bulison-Rush (first owner) worked together in the London Stock Exchange. St. John bought the car new in 1970 and drove it as a daily driver until 1975 (28,000 miles) when his fortune changed and he put the car into storage i.e. up on blocks, covered in old carpets and dust sheets and the engine correctly prepared for a long hibernation. This is where 'Saffy' stayed until George bought from it St John in December 1992 (not 1983 as first thought) paying £4,500. So it spent about 18 years up on blocks - just as well it was Ziebarted from new! George hasn't seen or heard from St, John Bulison-Rush for some years, but has given me a good lead which I shall follow up.

George then asked Steve Hall at TR Enterprises to recommission it which was completed in January 1993 (at a cost of £3,800) and he drove it for 3,000 miles before deciding it was far too nice to take on road rallies, so bought a TR4 which TRE also prepared. He sold the car to Rob Carter (third owner) through TRE in November 1994 for £12,500 (see Oct 1994 C&S ad below), Rob owned the car for 20 years and covered a mere 11,500 mile in that time. Then I bought it!

10311768_10202211882393707_4325603940348

We are meeting up in mid-June to chat further about the car and George said he'll have a hunt around for some old photographs for me to scan; he also road rallies a Swallow Doretti and is having an ex-US TR6 restored at TRE.
The future is bright, the future is Saffron................. B)

Cheers

Andrew

Having written to the first owner of my TR6 (St. John Burlison-Rush (Ukfield, Sussex)) a few weeks ago, we spoke this afternoon for what seemed like ages; he is a very pleasant gentleman (now 77 yrs old) and most helpful. St. John was delighted to hear from me and thoroughly enjoyed talking about the car and reminiscing about his youth.

He filled me in on some of the cars earlier history telling a few potted stories about driving off to the coast most weekends (as a single man) in the TR6 with his mates in their E Types, Alfas and Porches etc - they all worked together in the London Stock Exchange in the early seventies until they all lost their jobs in 1975 and went their separate ways.

Their cars were all sold, pretty much given away as no one was buying back then and St. John put the TR6 into storage for 18 years until he sold it to his friend George Niblett in 1992. Apart from the Ziebart treatment, it also transpires the chassis was pumped full of Supertrol from new too, and the drivers' door was 'scratched' in a supermarket car park soon after he had bought it, hence the blow-in by the supplying dealer.

We'll be meeting up in a few weeks’ time (when I come back from holiday) and he'll dig out some old photos of the car during his youth.

St. John hasn't been in contact with his old friend George Niblett (second owner) for many years, so I passed on George’s phone number (they live 10 mile apart!) and will try to get us all together in the same place to drive and talk about the car’s history and for the old friends to meet up again after all these years.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks chaps,

Yes, I'm very fortunate to have made contact with the first and second owners, both of whom are very keen to see, drive and talk about the car and have offered to dig out old photographs for me to scan and any other info they may still have. That said, the car hasn't changed much at all since first registration on 2 September 1970, apart from a bit of patina (which is not the same as dirt!), so I guess it will be very interesting to see photos of the car in settings and street scenes from the early 1970s and 1990s - the dates in the middle were the 'hibernation years'..........

Once all the history, anecdotes and photos are collected I will write an article for TRAction.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew,

Have been very interested to follow this thread,as have many others. Do you think it would be worthwhile for there to be a forum section dedicated to "survivors" - not just TR6?

I am the proud keeper of 2 survivors, reference cars, originals, unmolested, or whatever they may get called - one in my custodianship for almost 40 years, and another a mere 5 years (bought from the first owner!), and both nice "used"cars with full history and interesting stories.

What do you think?

Edited by alan57