We are clearing the old branches and bits of timber from the small field behind our house. The pile is mostly quite big trimmings from the hedge next door and the size is 12' x 12' x 5' high.  The original pile was over two years ago but 80% is recent trimming. We are planning a fire and need some advice on safe starting and how long it would take to burn down to a safe glowing patch which could be left overnight. 

I don't want to try petrol so what else is safe ??

Thanks Richard & B

Richard,

I would use a firelighter (one of those solid white kerosene containing things from Sainsbury's or the like) and get a good fire going with some dry stuff before adding the later bits that will be wetter. Can't help with timing as that depends on how big your piles(!) are, but I would urge you to move the pile before you light it to avoid incinerating any hibernating hedgehogs or other sheltering wildlife.

Rod

Here you wouldn’t even be allowed to ask the question or you’ld have the ecological police on your back. To save on pollution we are no longer allowed to light a bonfire.

No, those that govern us tell us to buy a trailer and haul the stuff down to your local recycling centre.

Have we all gone mad ?

Er sorry, I didn’t answer your question…..

I always found old engine oil an excellent firelighter

james

James you make a valid point regarding the environment. The preferred route would be to fill your green bin Richard - we have one (Chichester DC) - it costs an extra ~£55 a year, is on a fortnightly collection regime, and it's surprising how much it will take. We don't have a large garden but a couple of years ago we had to get rid of 4 medium to large-ish trees and a lot of overgrown flower bed in order to carry out some improvements and replanting. With a bit of forward planning it all went in our green bin over a period of a couple of months.

There is also the issue of consideration for neighbours if they have washing out, enjoying their garden etc etc. We have a couple of very inconsiderate people living nearby and often have to rush to close windows, retrieve washing when they generate clouds of smoke.

Rather than just set light to your huge pile of waste I’d make a small bonfire nearby and feed it from the pile. That way you can keep things under control, protect any sheltering wildlife and damp it down safely once you’ve had enough for the day. 

2 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Agree with Iain, it is an ideal over-wintering habitat for hedgehogs. You need to coat them in a ball of wet clay before cooking.  Peter

…and if I ever caught or found out you were doing it I would report you to your local authority for wilful cruelty to a protected species. NO shadow of a doubt. 

” Hedgehogs are protected by British law under Schedule 6 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, making it illegal to kill or capture them using certain methods. Similar protection exists in Northern Ireland under Schedule 6 & 7 of the Wildlife Order 1985.“

Kevin

My father an old style country doctor used to relate a story of offering a lift to a gentleman of the road, who, once comfortably installed in the car then asked him to go back as he had forgotten his ‘furze pig’, which apparently was destined for the evening pot.

james

While I totally agree with Kevin, it should be pointed out that eating hedgehogs was once a common practice in the countryside.
Even Elton John made a reference to it in his song “Country Comfort.”

“Now the old fat goose is flying cross the sticks
The hedgehog's done in clay between the bricks
And the rocking chairs are creaking on the porch
Across the valley moves the herdsman with his torch”

Charlie.

Or maybe do as a local traveller did about 2 years ago - bulldoze a 100 year orchard into a huge pile, add a few lorry tyres, set fire to it. Make sure it also burns down the overhead power supply to the village so that the fire brigade have to send out 2 fire engines to put out the blaze. Not content with doing it once they repeated the whole exercise a few weeks later. The whole village lost power twice and the cost ran into thousands. The black smoke could be seen for miles. No need for green/brown bins except maybe to add to the inferno.

2 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Rather than just set light to your huge pile of waste I’d make a small bonfire nearby and feed it from the pile. That way you can keep things under control, protect any sheltering wildlife and damp it down safely once you’ve had enough for the day. 

spot on advice

12 minutes ago, roy53 said:

spot on advice

I use a garden fire pit, it's a bit like a 3 foot diameter wok on legs, just keep feeding it and the pile soon vanishes. For the greener waste like fresh hedge clipping I run an old rotary lawn mower over it before it goes in the green bin, that way you get much more in

George 

4 hours ago, boxofbits said:

…and if I ever caught or found out you were doing it I would report you to your local authority for wilful cruelty to a protected species. NO shadow of a doubt. 

” Hedgehogs are protected by British law under Schedule 6 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, making it illegal to kill or capture them using certain methods. Similar protection exists in Northern Ireland under Schedule 6 & 7 of the Wildlife Order 1985.“

Kevin

Really?  I had nooo idea. Must inform the local badgers the flea-ridden tiggywinkles are protected species.

Kevin, Its called irony. Peter

13 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

... local badger, the flea-ridden tiggywinkle...

Its called irony.

How ironic…

Having a pet badger called “Irony”.

(Or is that the name of your pet hedgehog ?)

Edited by Charlie D

I have a green bin and fill it regularly with grass cutting and light trimmings but once a year the large cut backs and tree topping I throw in the van and transported to recycling. On rare occasion plant that’s been infected by some parasite is burnt in a tin bin with wholes and a lid with a funnel and only during the early evening in the week, not to effect neighbours not due to environment issues.

Edited by Misfit

Cooking hedgehogs….You learn something everyday:) 

On a serious note: Making a large fire in your garden to burn old wood is not allowed overhere, so I would check with your authorities.

We leave old wood (from trees, hedges) on a pile, it is a perfect habitat for hedgehogs and some birds. It slowly rots away, so in not you big quantities of new wood added, it is never growing bigger.

And make a fence of it as well by sticking some poles in the ground and putting branches in-between. The remainder we being to the “city yard” where one can bring all his old stuff.

Richard given it’s in a small field behind the house 

and you’ve just added to a two year old pile I would just leave it and maintain it as your green waste pile / wildlife haven.
But if you really need to get rid - an alternative would be to borrow or hire a chipper. 
but the wildlife concerns are very valid.  Over wintering habitat soon become nesting habitat.

40 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Over wintering habitat soon become nesting habitat.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 is the primary legislation which protects animals, plants and habitats in the UK.

I’ve just cut my hedge to beat the 1st March deadline.

If you damage the habitat of wildlife after 1st March you can face a £5000 fine.

Sounds a bit silly, but I am all in favour of it.

You can start to pull the pile apart in September, but why not just keep it there as a wild life haven.

Charlie.

17 hours ago, Charlie D said:

You can start to pull the pile apart in September, but why not just keep it there as a wild life haven.

Charlie.

Mrs BN asked me only yesterday what I "planned to do about" a pile of residual fallen stuff at the top of the garden. My reply: "Nothing. Bug hotel" both satisfied and also irritated her in equal measure.

Nigel

I love a good fire it appeals to my caveman instincts!

Make sure no one has their washing out and as above make a smaller fire next to the pile and feed it from the pile. It will smoke until its hot enough to dry out what ever you put on and once down to embers you can leave it overnight by morning it should be a small pile of wood ash which you can spread on the garden as a form of pot ash. No need for fire lighter just some silver birch bark which will burn even if wet and some fine twigs. 

Any hedgehogs or other wildlife will have a chance to escape or can be relocated out of harms way. 

At the end of the day if you want to be all green about it, it's carbon neutral and better than taking it to the tip where there is no guarantee it doesn't end up in a land fill anyway. 

Andy

PS Squirrel tastes better!