Whilst in the garage changing my sprinting tyres to my vredestiens I thought that On the back of Jonathan’s over heating tr2 thread I thought that there would be little harm in doing the flow restriction mod on my TR3a. The temps have been ok 185 to 207f with the elec fan bringing the temps down but perhaps they could be improved !
so off came the short L shaped hose with little loss of coolant and I found a tight fitting Ali pipe/sleeve to go in the water pump housing.
However, ( its never good if you have to add an “however”) the tight fitting aspect of this engineering feet was due to a little furring up of the hole.
with a little extra pressure, just to make sure it was a good fit you understand, the bloody thing pushed right in.
it turns out that things put in here end up at the bottom of the bottom hose / rad junction.
I have a skid plate under my car as it hold my anti roll bar so the only access to the bottom hose clip is with the near side wheel off and in through the limited space where the steering arms come through.
luckily - sorry with brilliant fore thought. The last time I had the rad out I had all the jubilee clips the right way to allow me to get a socket on this lower junction and I was able to retrieve the sleeve. Whilst dumping all the coolant.
I needed to change the anti freeze anyway (3 years).
i then decided to concentrate on the thermostat housing and after measuring decided on a copper 22mm blanking cap cut down and 8mm drilled at the top.
This tapped on to the housing nicely with the hole at the top to let air out and it’s short enough that the hose holds it in place and yet the hose is still sealed to the housing by the jubilee clip.
all done up and system refilled, with Heater hose off and front of car jacked up and cap off to let any air out it all back together and running.
Moral of the story if it ain’t broke don’t fix it !!!