I know I should always use my nitrile gloves, but you know what is is, sometimes you just open the bonnet to look at something and before you know it you have done a complete engine rebuild (OK, slight exaggeration)  and your hands are covered in grime.  I have always used Swarfega, following my father's use of it running his Automobile Electrician* business from the 50s until he retired, it is one of the things I associate with him.  I'm just getting to the end of my jar and wondered if anyone has a preferred product.  I'm loathe to change for sentimental reasons but if there is a superior hand cleaner out there who am I to be a luddite.  

*My Grandfather started the business in 1912 as the first car electrical business in the UK, initially to convert the London taxi fleet from acetylene to electric lighting.  

I found Swarfega gave me rash if used a lot, I now prefer

Comma / Manister

It a yellow "gritty" paste, which removes oil etc. well, & is kinder to the skin. I buy it in 3 Ltr pots

Bob

I use some Orange gritty stuff bought from Costco years ago which has shifted dirt for me really well.

Sorry label long gone so no name. But this post has remained me to buy another 5L when I'm next there.

Andy  

35 minutes ago, PodOne said:

I use some Orange gritty stuff bought from Costco years ago which has shifted dirt for me really well.

Sorry label long gone so no name. But this post has remained me to buy another 5L when I'm next there.

Andy  

Probably my preference.   Tufnega. https://www.doveshygiene.co.uk/janitorial-supplies/hand-care/deb-tufanega-original-heavy-duty-hand-cleaner-4-5ltr/

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

Andy  

I use an orange one too, Orange Swarfega https://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-orange-hand-cleaner-pump-pack-4ltr/23527?kpid=23527&cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Auto and Cleaning?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=Google-_-TOKEN1-_-TOKEN2

Edited by Kevo_6
1 hour ago, Kevo_6 said:

That's the one Kev.

Exactly the same packaging. Saved me a trip to Costco and buying other things I really don't need.

Andy 

8 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

WD40 anyone else tried it?

I use WD40 for the initial clean, get the muck and oil off. And then I use washing up detergent to get the WD40 film off. Works a treat.

NP

16 hours ago, RogerH said:

Stay with Swarfega.  At BEA in the early 1970's they changed from Swarfega to some cheaper rubbish,

BEA saved a few pennies but everybody had dirty hands.  They had to change back.

Roger

At Lakers and British Caledonian I recall Boraxo powder.  That worked very well and is still around    Certainly good at getting the muck of P&W  engine reverser sooty oil off your hands   Filthy old coal burners those B707 compared to UK made era stuff or the later wide bodied ac

https://www.excalibur-hygiene.co.uk/brands/boraxo/  

I use WD40 for an initial clean and then wash off in the parts cleaner which is full of a lemon based fluid from Screwfix.

A bit like the old add on the telly "Hands that do TRs can be as soft as your face ":)

George 

Edited by harlequin

My grandad was a mechanic and 'taught' me to clean my hands with petrol and sand and I am yet to find a more effective solution.....but accepting this is probably not good for you, now use WD40 followed by Manista (Swarfega just isn't what it used to be)

Not a fan of Swarfega products. Advertising budget over function and past reputation.

Bilt Hamber “Heavy Duty Citrus” is the best I have come across since Millers stopped stocking X-Clean in the UK.

I thought plastic beads had been phased out and largely phased out and replaced with biodegradable alternatives such as coconut husk based beads.

WD40 is excellent for shifting some of the more stubborn stuff and cleaning tools!

My mother used white spirit or paraffin on my hands when I was a kid and messing around with push bikes, the start of a slippery slope. I now use Manista.

Cheers

Richard

1 hour ago, Dic Doretti said:

My mother used white spirit or paraffin on my hands when I was a kid and messing around with push bikes, the start of a slippery slope. I now use Manista.

Cheers

Richard

I used to know a ships' painter who'd spent many years cleaning paint off his hands with turpentine. He had dermatitis so badly he had to wear cotton gloves impregnated with Vaseline. If he left them off for a few hours, clenching his fists would cause the skin on his fingers to crack and bleed.

1 hour ago, iain said:

Rozalex barrier cream before work and Simple soap bar to wash off.

Dermashield (https://www.dermashield.co.uk/) works better than Rozalex.

Pete

Thanks for all of your views, seems like I'm spoilt for choice, but Manista just seems to take a small majority.  Do anyone know if the 'polybeads' in it are plastic or perlite?

My father spent decades washing car parts in his paraffin bowl, parts cleaners were not available then, he ended up with skin like a rhino on his hands.  At the end of the working day, he would clean his hands with the old green Swafega, then rub in glycerine, still in the winter his knuckles would split and he had to rub in lanolin and wear cotton gloves when he went to bed.