Where would you like to drive ?

Corsica. We once did a GOME rallye from Spa -> Marsailles -> Corsica and gotta say it's a stunning island.

Of course, you gotta endure 1,000 + of Payage to get to the ferry :wub:

1 hour ago, Steve-B said:

Corsica. We once did a GOME rallye from Spa -> Marsailles -> Corsica and gotta say it's a stunning island.

Of course, you gotta endure 1,000 + of Payage to get to the ferry :wub:

and plenty of wild pigs on the roads when we toured Corsica - brilliant driving roads.
Ian

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, kiwican said:

You could pick up Route 66 in Chicago and follow that to LA.

Simon

That would be a great trip, Ive done parts of it and theres some sights to behold along the way.

Stuart.

Ring of Kerry in Southern Ireland, has the roads for the TRs and the views for the umanbeens :-) 

image.thumb.png.2576821d6cd8aa2eff578656f1ea0f3c.png

4 hours ago, kiwican said:

Simon

Hello All 

We have done Route 66 and The sierra's and Route 1 all in one trip and we were riding a Harley Davidson Heritage Hardtail!!

We covered 4,000 miles in 3 weeks it was magic but we did get lost a few times as we did no bother with satnavs just good old maps

Roger and The Memsahib

I have only driven the parts of Route 66 between Kingman and Flagstaff AZ. That is a nice stretch of country road and some neat little towns. Done it a couple of times in my TR6.

US395 along the eastern side of the Sierras is a great drive from a scenery POV. Have done that few times.

Two drives on my retirement list are the Alaskan Highway, and the Trans Canada Highway (coast to coast). These two would be in a motorhome or towing a caravan.

Simon

15 hours ago, TRier said:

Ring of Kerry in Southern Ireland, has the roads for the TRs and the views for the umanbeens :-) 

Yes thats a great road, havent been for a long time but remember it well for the scenery and all the bends!

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Has to be Corsica so I’m with Ian on this

It was good in a rental car so a TR would be stunning.  Pigs are certainly hazardous, as are tourist coaches on the narrow twisty mountain roads - they don’t take prisoners! Also worth remembering is that some of the locals can be feisty - they carry(and use) hunting rifles: check out the road signs

As you said though, it’s a long drive down to the ferry. . . .

Brilliant place for mountain walking - my all time favourite holiday venue.  Not for nothing that it is known as the beautiful island!

Edited by Alfrom
Typo correction and to add a bit.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 8:08 PM, TRier said:

trip to ireland in 2024 is on the list ....with 21 TR's from Holland...so maybe we can take it to the our tour plans... 

Marcel.

Edited by Quicksilver

In 2002 I was with a group of Caterham owners touring Ireland sitting in a pub in Ballybunion and someone said “hey let’s do the USA”. Being I’m originally from Texas we <foolishly?> put our hands up and in 2005 we packed 40 Caterham and Westfield cars in 49ft containers in Barking and shipped them to Houston Texas.
From there we spent 22 days driving 3,400 miles across Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and finishing on the Golden Gate Bridge. 

Gotta say that organising, coordination for recces, and all the work to do it as leader was great in the end! We did it as a touring assembly with all owners paying the fees directly to the vendors so we handled £0 . 

We avoided Route 66 as so little of it is left, replaced sadly by interstate highways and instead focused on twisty countryside roads  given the vast variety of engines and mileages we plotted the route with fuel ~150 miles to cater for all drivers  given distances involved, we’d have a long day drive with 2 nights stat then a shorter day with 1 night stays a couple places. In the end we drove well <100 miles of interstate highways for the entire route
In Las Vegas 2 owners did a drive-thru wedding which was an extremely kept secret.

Some day I need to write a book how to do it as we learned a lot, and minus an unscrupulous shipping agent here, it was a relatively breakdown free drive. Petrol is so amazingly cheap there all I’ll say is the fun pedal (accelerator) got (mis)used a lot by folks!

Group photo in Arizona and route below…

893121-R1-051-24.jpeg

usaroute.jpeg

Edited by Steve-B
1 hour ago, Steve-B said:

In 2002 I was with a group of Caterham owners touring Ireland sitting in a pub in Ballybunion and someone said “hey let’s do the USA”. Being I’m originally from Texas we <foolishly?> put our hands up and in 2005 we packed 40 Caterham and Westfield cars in 49ft containers in Barking and shipped them to Houston Texas.
From there we spent 22 days driving 3,400 miles across Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and finishing on the Golden Gate Bridge. 

Gotta say that organising, coordination for recces, and all the work to do it as leader was great in the end! We did it as a touring assembly with all owners paying the fees directly to the vendors so we handled £0 . 

We avoided Route 66 as so little of it is left, replaced sadly by interstate highways and instead focused on twisty countryside roads  given the vast variety of engines and mileages we plotted the route with fuel ~150 miles to cater for all drivers  given distances involved, we’d have a long day drive with 2 nights stat then a shorter day with 1 night stays a couple places. In the end we drove well <100 miles of interstate highways for the entire route
In Las Vegas 2 owners did a drive-thru wedding which was an extremely kept secret.

Some day I need to write a book how to do it as we learned a lot, and minus an unscrupulous shipping agent here, it was a relatively breakdown free drive. Petrol is so amazingly cheap there all I’ll say is the fun pedal (accelerator) got (mis)used a lot by folks!

Group photo in Arizona and route below…

893121-R1-051-24.jpeg

usaroute.jpeg

Wow Steve, what an amazing trip. Must of been great fun.

1 hour ago, Kevo_6 said:

Wow Steve, what an amazing trip. Must of been great fun.

It was a load of fun, with huge wide well maintained roads! Counting in USA based cars we had a couple stretches with almost 70(!) Lotus Se7ens on the road. Only saw rain once the whole 3+ weeks, on the mountain passes heading into Moab Utah which turned all our cars sandstone orange. When I laid out the route, it was centered to do a road over Slumgullion Pass in Colorado, an amazing 52 mile stretch which at dawn you can drive the length flat out.

I would get killed by SWMBO were I to agree to do something like it again, but still have all the materials - route books, t-shirt. decals, etc...

Edited by Steve-B
On 7/20/2023 at 3:44 PM, kiwican said:

Simon

Route 66

My daughter and I did it in 2002

I recall the Road Kill Cafe.    “You Kill It, We Grill it”

image.thumb.jpeg.efd9c37c852612b04e292b518162372e.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 10/26/2023 at 11:27 AM, Nigel A said:

I’m doing the West Coast of Ireland next year with one of my friends. We are going with Scenic Car tours and I’m taking my TR and my friend is taking his Stag

Nigel

Take my contact details there Nigel and keep in touch and if you need anything locally beforehand or whilst you are here I may be able to help or offer some pointers. niallpower.power@gmail.com