The best mod I ever made to my TR6 was ..........

As a relatively new TR6 owner with a blank slate to work on, I would be really interested to know what people have found to be the best improvements made to their TR6.

Maybe let's assume Bosch fuel pump already fitted. Maybe the best simple improvements?

Fitted a wooden foot rest on the passenger side for my wife,

without she was „swimming“ on her seat, others may have a wife with loooonger legs

IMG_7765-b.JPG.405d92eeecdf374731b4604bd028c972.JPG

Edited by Z320

Supercharger.... completely changes the feel of the car. Fab on alpine passes :D

There are many to chose from.  Sometimes folk look for mods, when the existing equipment/parts are not up to scratch, so think this is how they must be, as they are an old car.

1. Solid steering rack mounts really help improve the accuracy of the steering & feel.

2. Telescopic rear damper conversion, with TR shop brackets. These have a far more control over the rear damping than lever arms. Trick is to not set them too hard, so still compliant.

Difficult to decide which is 'best', or in order of priority, etc.

Cheers.

Toss up between rear Konis and electronic ignition.  The former significanly improved the handling over lever arms, the latter means I haven't had the faff of changing condensor and adjusting points for over 30 years.

My wife would say the MX5 seats with after marked heating elepments fitted.  She's got a dodgy back and I have always found the early 6 seats very comfortable.

I could say putting the Lucas injection back on (previous owner had fitted Strombergs) and an overdrive gearbox but not sure eithe rof these are mods more reverting to factory spec and a factory option.

If I had to pick one I would say LED headlight bulbs so much better at night.

14 hours ago, peter clarke said:

Beef up the front stub shafts with wheel bearing spacers and shims. No more need to pump front brakes when going down mountain roads. Simple cheap and very effective.

Many say that but if the wheel bearings are adjusted correctly pad knock off should not be an issue.

Interesting the workshop manuals have two fdifferent ways:

One says finger tight and back off to align the hole for the split pin.  I have small hands and this gives knock off.
The other says to torqe to 5 ftlbs and back off to the hole. This works for me.

20 hours ago, harlequin said:

A Marmite thing I know but I fitted a Surrey Backlight. My wife is happy and we now have space for our dog so the TR gets much more use

George 

I like the space and it looks right on the Michelotti cars too. Got one on the 4A but modified it to use a 6 header rail arrangement and push release fittings on the rear.

8 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

I like the space and it looks right on the Michelotti cars too. Got one on the 4A but modified it to use a 6 header rail arrangement and push release fittings on the rear.

As mine is on a TR6 it was an obvious choice to use a TR6 header rail, I have also done the push button mod for the rear of the soft top, both a big improvement on the original arrangement.

George 

I would say it is a toss up between backlight / surrey roof and LED lights in terms of usability.  

High on my list of 'because I can' mods include a free flowing exhaust (gotta love the noise) and mild tuning.  

1 hour ago, chrismitchell said:

Changed the coolant to Castrol 4life.  Saves fooling around with electric fan, modified wiring etc. Bonus point is far more heat from the original heater.

Not sure how using a specific coolant links to the needs to fit/wire an electric fan.

An electric fan is not essential for a TR, however a cooling fan (mechanical or electrical is) whatever coolant is being used.

Phoenix standard look exhaust system with 6 branch manifold sound great. 

Would be interested to know other owners comments, as its on my wish list for the future when the Boss agrees to let me buy !

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
Wrong thread