Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

5 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

More than clever, to my mind!  Brilliant!    Epecially the catch inside the chamber to retain the valve - I've never liked the string idea!

JOhn

I agree, brilliant tool.

where do i order one :-)

steve

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

Puts a lot of strain on the conrod.   Probably worse when people try to use the idea to lift off a stuck cylinder head, which can lead to this:

1126153111_Bentconrod.jpg.ae0aa7b9869274db40cb4c69ea462b93.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies

there is a difference using a string to keep the valves up or using it to lift up a stuck head.

Using  a string to keep the valves up is still one of my favorites. I am just not fond of sticking metal parts into a cylinder.

Hi,

years ago I had to bend an aluminium "toy" conrod from an air compressor straight again.

This is why I know what forces 90° to the conrod are needed to do come to any result.

In my opinion the forces with the string inside the cylinder are in line with the conrod and do not bend it,

And the thousands of explosions over thousands of miles on top of the pistons also do not bend it.

This is why I also like to work with the string inside the cylinder (of course not to lift a cylinder head).

The reason for my tool to hold the valve from inside is: the coned collets hold the valves - some less - and some much more tight in the collar.

And I noticed the string is not shure in the correct position and too soft to lift the collets out of the collars.

Some force is neeed and with my tool it is possible to disconnect them very easy.

But everybody is invited to think about this what he wants.

I myself feel good.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 4 weeks later...

Copied from the web.

Made a couple of sets for self and brother from aluminium hexagon bar using M3 grub screws.

Ideal for gripping screws that are to be shortened, chamfered or pointed.  

note:- stamp each one to match jaw number and turn a circle on the face to denote orientation.

B42F88CF-9EA3-488E-A94E-FDC02FB3171A.jpeg

39EFA069-8C53-412D-B06B-1206ABF962A9.jpeg

49BE40E6-4DC5-483E-A8FE-A62F2CFEE304.jpeg

54913467-231D-4381-9CEA-48323A3AB5BC.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

That is a most precise method, and skilful work just to make it! 

But to shorten, chamfer and even point a bolt, I cut it with a hacksaw, and use one of these to chamfer and even point the end.  Leaves the thread in good condition to be started in a nut or threaded hole.

image.png.2277173648a034d4ca259f1013e68009.png

9 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

But to shorten, chamfer and even point a bolt, I cut it with a hacksaw, and use one of these to chamfer and even point the end.  Leaves the thread in good condition to be started in a nut or threaded hole.

I bought one of these and I’ve used it a lot. As John says ideal for tidying up a sawn off thread. Nuts start easily and Takes off that sharp edge.

I use flat a steel bar 4x20 mm to cut small screws shorter with a hack saw.

It has several threaded holes with metric and imperial threads, by using a locking nut it is easy to use the hack saw and file.

Y0N3V0KW2LUOXkSoi-74S-CQa0hVggqzX0RpZYDH

And without locking nut is easy and safe to grind the lenght down on the grinder bench.

L09FMiGq0uVWvku1XHLSJf87xfEDzhTnmp3vXNvF

On 11/5/2021 at 9:53 PM, john.r.davies said:

I've not used one of those, but I think I'll get one as it seems good idea. There's often an occasion where a conical end to a bolt's thread would aide its fitting into a hidden-from-view hole, &/or to guide its nut on.   I guess you clamp the bolt head in a vice and then use a cordless drill with this bit in it shape the end, so that would be quicker than my getting the grinder out. 

Thanks,

Pete

21 minutes ago, Bfg said:

I guess you clamp the bolt head in a vice and then use a cordless drill with this bit in it shape the end,

That’s what I do. 
tidies the bolt or threaded bar up well. 

I just wind a couple of nuts onto the thread, clamp it all in a 3 jaw chuck, hacksaw off to just a bit longer than needed, then finish off with the lathe tool, including adding the chamfer.

Bob

On 11/5/2021 at 9:53 PM, john.r.davies said:

to shorten, chamfer and even point a bolt, I cut it with a hacksaw, and use one of these to chamfer and even point the end.  Leaves the thread in good condition to be started in a nut or threaded hole.

I tried to buy one on ebay this morning, and also so set of 6-point sockets ..but I cannot check-out on ebay.  I don't know if it's my computer dying from old age (it still runs Windows XP) or whether Ebay is having issues.  Tomorrow I'll find another supplier who has a telephone number and try to order directly.

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

Recently, eBay reconfigured itself, and introduced all sorts of "safeguards", including that you must register your bank account with them.    A challenging idea, demanding that they keep up good data security, but also will deter fly-sellers.

You may need to re-register to continue using eBay.

John

Pete,

I use XP and Win 8 on my desktop and I’ve recently found that if I’m using XP I can’t finish off the transaction. On the Paypal page the timer just goes round and round.  I have to switch to Win 8 and start the whole order again. Of course, this ends up with eMails from eBay saying that I have not completed the first transaction, but eventually they seem to give up.

Maybe if you chose the Paypal option of “Pay by credit card “ it may work, as opposed to “Pay with Paypal” (Although they both go through Paypal I guess.)

If you don't want to upgrade the XP to anothr Win version try using Linux. I had a very good HP laptop from my old company that was impossible to get into due to the security software on it . I loaded Linux and found it just as easyto use as Windows, and it's free.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D

I recently upgraded free to Win10 at my workplace ( can be done easily with Google search). But then if you are running software such as ‘ Office’ it asks to re-register your product- fine if you have the key- my Office 2013 was a download on-line some time back, so no record of key.

You cannot view the full product key without installing a proprietary program. I downloaded a program which read installation keys on my installed software, and the installed Office 2013. But, before completing re-registration it required Windows Office 2013 updates. No problem, go to MS support, find relevant page, download/install updates BUT procedure was terminated as product no longer supported by Microsoft. Got a quote from a supplier for Windows Office 2019 ( could go Office 365 route which is an internet browser based version by subscription payable monthly-can work out expensive ).

Got a quote for MS Office 2019 for a couple hundred quid or so. Declined that in favour of this method; Download Office 2019 from Microsoft. When installing it asks for product key. You can then search on-line for sellers like ‘Product Keys UK’ as a generic example. Purchase as I did an Office 2019 Product Key for £24.99 ( rates vary by provider). Pay for key download and install. And it worked as a permanent solution. 

All in all, Win10 update and Office 2019 suite for £25! Not bad.. ( if you do it maximise your PC Ram as I did as Win10 is more graphics orientated than previous versions but now glad I upgraded. If Win7 support hasn’t stopped yet it will do before long). 

Kevin

4 hours ago, Charlie D said:

If you don't want to upgrade the XP to anothr Win version try using Linux. I had a very good HP laptop from my old company that was impossible to get into due to the security software on it . I loaded Linux and found it just as easyto use as Windows, and it's free.

Agreed  but there are lots of different versions of Linux, some easier to use and get used to than others. The one usually recommended for people used to Windows  is Linux Mint.  

Rather than paying anything for MS Office you can use either Open Office or Libre Office which are both free and do everything most people need.  

Edited by RobH