Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

Thanks Marco.  

I looked that Wolfcraft up and at first glance it seemed pretty handy as it has a non-slip base and a v-block for drilling into tube.  It's also quite inexpensive, but the markings for accurate alignment is crude - so each hole would need to be just started with a pilot to guide it in the right place.   While looking that up I came across < this >  guide to drilling guides.  Even though Wolfcraft isn't listed,  it usefully advises - the similar one would need long drill bits.  I have some of these long drills in 2 and 3mm diameters so I could use those for pilot holes.   But oh wait., the Wolfcraft smallest size is 4mm.  That's no good to me, I generally use 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 mm diameters.  Amazon reviews (I always look at those who are not happy with the product) says its guide holes are too slack anyway.    

The Millcraft one only has two reviews so I cannot judge from that, but is just under £9 including delivery ( < here > on Amazon) and goes down to 1/8" (3.175mm).  That ought to work for what i generally need so I've ordered one.   I won't use it very often but just occasionally,  I think it will pay for itself  - most likely when I want to drill into a round tube section and the spars commonly used on boats.

Many Thanks.  Pete.

Edited by Bfg

A tool I would like to find cheaply (used ?) or to make  is one to make stiffening ribs and anti-drum insets in flat sheet panels,  for example ribs in the floor panels and the odd shaped insets in the inner wing panels.   Any (polite ;) ) suggestions ?  

Pete

8 minutes ago, Bfg said:

A tool I would like to find cheaply (used ?) or to make  is one to make stiffening ribs and anti-drum insets in flat sheet panels,  for example ribs in the floor panels and the odd shaped insets in the inner wing panels.   Any (polite ;) ) suggestions ?  

Pete

Take a look at this video regarding dual-sided dieless forming (hammer and block to you and me)  Maybe an air hammer and a slotted lump of steel or hardwood would work.?

Cheers

Peter W

23 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Maybe an air hammer and a slotted lump of steel or hardwood would work.?

Brilliant idea on your part - Thanks..  I'll have to play with this.  I'm quite handy with a hammer and dolly but never thought to power the process.  I have a big reciprocating cut-off saw and also a number of reciprocating hacksaws either of which might be adapted.  :rolleyes: 

..I might need to invest in new ear defenders though !

Edited by Bfg
19 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Brilliant idea on your part - Thanks..  I'll have to play with this.  I'm quite handy with a hammer and dolly but never thought to power the process.  I have a big reciprocating cut-off saw and also a number of reciprocating hacksaws either of which might be adapted.  :rolleyes: 

..I might need to invest in new ear defenders though !

Used to use a flypress, 4" lump of steel shaped for the depression as the die, rounded at one end openended to other, and a 3" long punch that was , rounded to fit the die at each end.  Whack it in with the flypress and tidy with a dolly and hammer as required.  I lent those tools to someone and cannot remember who.  The flypress sits on the floor in the garage still and the spare is at the end my brother's garden.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi,

returned today to a "sleeping" project from this summer,

to built my own 20 tonnes "small" hydraulic press.

Shure I could buy a set, ready to bolt, but with 20 tonnes they are too big/large for my limited space.

Ciao, Marco

• 3 months later...

Drain plugs — that’s what adjustable spanners were made for wasn’t it !:ph34r:

but love the nut mod to fit. 

29 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Hamish,

in so many ways the adjustable spanner is the spawn of Satan.  They can easily round off a sump plug.

I did the same as Andrew but welded it permanently on.

Roger

Hence the “:ph34r:

Google für "Knipex Armaturenzange", this is the best!

Buy one and your grandchildren will laud you long after you are gone.

And please hold it the right way around, they are self locking - if you do!

On 2/2/2020 at 11:19 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Hamish,

in so many ways the adjustable spanner is the spawn of Satan.  They can easily round off a sump plug.

I did the same as Andrew but welded it permanently on.

Roger

aaaah but then you haven't tried this new little gizmo yet :

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 2.07.15 AM.png

Edited by Geko
spell
  • 2 months later...

Anyone come up with neat home made sheet metal working tools ?

I've seen cheapo manual folding devices on auction websites - are they any good for chassis-weight steel (like for making up new chassis U sections) ?  

and aside from a disc on an angle grinder is there an easier way to cut long lengths of sheet metal ..that's too thick for hand shears.? 

Cheers, Pete

24 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Anyone come up with neat home made sheet metal working tools ?

I've seen cheapo manual folding devices on auction websites - are they any good for chassis-weight steel (like for making up new chassis U sections) ?  

and aside from a disc on an angle grinder is there an easier way to cut long lengths of sheet metal ..that's too thick for hand shears.? 

Cheers, Pete

I did all the folding with two lengths of angle iron clamped in the vice and careful use of a hammer and block of wood.

The thick steel was cut with a jigsaw.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...