Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

52 minutes ago, RobH said:

The one usually recommended for people used to Windows  is Linux Mint.  

Rather than paying anything for MS Office you can use either Open Office or Libre Office which are both free and do everything most people need.  

Mint is the version I use. It's download gave the option to include Libre Office, which I did.

I used to think Linux was a bit like Unix and you had to do everything through the command line.

In reality there is hardly any difference to using windows. (Apart from being free.)

Charlie.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

+1 for W7.   A great deal of industry still use W7. It isn't going away for a long time yet.

Roger

Including the NHS, which was one of the worst affected orgs by the 2017 Wannacry ransomware attack.    Tens thousands of Pcs running outdated versions of Windows were crippled, as was the NHS service in many Trusts.    It's worth noting that Microsoft knew of the threat, and had protective patches available, but did not issue them until after the attack.  Why should they? They "no longer support" the outdated versions.

Your choice, your business!

Yes it is, it could be worse.

A friend of mine once said: "the number of cats and dogs photos is an indication for the condition of a forum".

Due to this the TR Register forum is in very well condition!

Edited by Z320

Godwin's Law: As an online discussion grows longer (regardless of topic or scope), the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Adolf Hitler approaches 1.

So far, the incidence of cute pets (includung a yacht) in this thread is 4.   5, if you include an ancient US fighter aircraft.     So One in three pages include cuties.   That's nota  probability, and pretty low if it is one.    Let's keep it lower!

Here you are John, to help salvage your last reminiscence of sanity  ..back on topic . . .

P1400076s.jpg.483be0bb6d641a1455573b2de33aaa1b.jpg

^ rear brake adjuster,  aka  a 1/4" drive socket used inverted and turned by an Allen.  In this case the inverted socket being used is the type that holds screwdriver bits, so all together handy to keep in the tool roll, along with a range of different screwdriver heads.

Pete 

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

Here you are John, to help salvage your last reminiscence of sanity  ..back on topic . . .

^ rear brake adjuster,  aka  a 1/4" drive socket used inverted and turned by an Allen.  In this case the inverted socket being used is the type that holds screwdriver bits, so all together handy to keep in the tool roll, along with a range of different screwdriver heads.

Pete 

Ignoring all those interlopers, whose contributions are beginning to make this look like the "Who posts last?" thread - Brilliant, BFG!!   Those long brake adjuster spanners are always too long, and get in their own way.     Did you need to fettle it at all, or was it just (just!) a stroke of genius to reverse the adapter?

It would belittle this master stroke of lateral thinking to include the 'invention' I was about to contribute in the same post, so I will humbly append it below.

John

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

Pete 

Oh i like that !

think i’ll steal the idea and adapt to use my 1/4 mini Wera ratchet with an allen insert driving the 1/4 socket 

top work Pete 

Before BFG contributed an item that ascends the brightest heaven of invention, I had intended to post about a humble device, for a humble purpose, but on which I, Prologue-like,  your humble patience pray, gently to hear, kindly to judge, our play the gadget.

It's a loo seat tightener.       Most loo seats are fastened down by bolts through the back of the bowl, often with butterfly nuts so that they may be tightened with the fingers, but equally often the thickness of the porcelain makes this difficult, if it wasn't hard enough, crammed in behind, in the dark and working vertically.      So I made a suitable socket:

162602677_looseattightener.thumb.jpg.cf251492aac1e3b061e96452cdfc7d24.jpg

A short length of tube, with an ID that will take the bolt, has a slot cut in the end to accept the wings of the butterfly nut.    I first thought just to drill the other end for a tommy bar, but it is so cramped behind the bowl that I welded a bolt into that other end of the tube, and linished it back.   A spanner is more 'flexible'.  The pic was taken with the appropriate spanner to show the scale.

It works well, but I discovered  that the persistently loosening bolt was not due to lack of tightness, but lack of a suitably sized washer, to grip the porcelain!     All is well now, and stability on the job is guaranteed!

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!    No more, no more!

Out! Out! Damned Spot!   Else (and I warn you, Nigel!) who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him.

10 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Before BFG contributed an item that ascends the brightest heaven of invention, I had intended to post about a humble device, for a humble purpose, but on which I, Prologue-like,  your humble patience pray, gently to hear, kindly to judge, our play the gadget.

It's a loo seat tightener.       Most loo seats are fastened down by bolts through the back of the bowl, often with butterfly nuts so that they may be tightened with the fingers, but equally often the thickness of the porcelain makes this difficult, if it wasn't hard enough, crammed in behind, in the dark and working vertically.      So I made a suitable socket:

A short length of tube, with an ID that will take the bolt, has a slot cut in the end to accept the wings of the butterfly nut.    I first thought just to drill the other end for a tommy bar, but it is so cramped behind the bowl that I welded a bolt into that other end of the tube, and linished it back.   A spanner is more 'flexible'.  The pic was taken with the appropriate spanner to show the scale.

It works well, but I discovered  that the persistently loosening bolt was not due to lack of tightness, but lack of a suitably sized washer, to grip the porcelain!     All is well now, and stability on the job is guaranteed!

JOhn

15 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

JOhn

Well done John, that’s such a great invention you deserve to be installed on the throne for that. :lol: