Ethanol free Petrol

Ethanol-free fuel can be found in many parts of the US if one hunts. Sites like puregas.org help. Some of the more reliable places to find ethanol-free here are boat marinas.

I'm guessing. Add water to petrol. Shake it around to get the ethanol to mix with the water. Allow it to stand. For how long who knows. Siphon petrol off the top of the water/ethanol layer. If that's half way correct I think I'll stick to using Eric all year round.

Total does'nt have any ethanol added to all its brands of petrol and most of the other's don't add it to their super grades, that was up to last year so it may have changed since then. Shell were the only one who refused to say if they added ethanol to any grade of their petrol.

Dave

There is an easier way.

Pour the petrol AND water into a bucket - stand back and set light to the bucket/contents.

What is left is water and that can then be thrown away.

Wait a mo - I've got to think about that one

Roger

Filtering out water from fuel can be done with one of the special membrane funnels like Mr Funnel.

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

It might indeed work to add additional water to selectively move the ethanol to the aqueous phase. I doubt that would get it all -- I'd need to look at the chemistry in more detail.

Edited by Don H.

Ok, once we have our Ethanol and water mixture is it useful for anything? Rat poison, paint stripper, are there any worthwhile uses?

Alan

Maybe add a drop or two of detergent and put it in your windscreen washer reservoir?

I have never really seen or heard a satisfactory comment regarding the effects the generally low amount of ethanol in UK fuel has on our vehicles. It appears to me that the subject is generally ignored, with nobody really giving a definitive answer as to whether it is a real problem or not. Even people restoring & working on classic cars do not seem to know what should be done.

Uses for an alcohol and water mixture?

Gosh! That's a poser!

Perhaps you could bottle it and give it away as Xmas presents? A picture of piper in tartan on the label might help it be appreciated.

John

Ok, once we have our Ethanol and water mixture is it useful for anything? Rat poison, paint stripper, are there any worthwhile uses?

Alan

Add sloes and sugar?

I've been using standard 95 pump fuel in my Vitesse for many years now, mostly 5% ethanol I guess but also some 10% when driving in Europe. No problems apart from one dodgy fill up in rural France that seemed to be about 20% water and made it knock like hell.

Nick

Don't know about Aral, but Shell told me that V-Power has Ethanol. When I contacted them they wouldn't say what percentage it contained but did say that they sell so much that they had to include Ethanol in order to reach the necessary average proportion across their range.

" once we have our Ethanol and water mixture is it useful for anything? "

Decent enough weedkiller on my parking spaces . . . . .

" Back in the day they used to sell Cleveland Discol petrol which had ethanol as a basic ingredient. I don't remember hearing any problems from that. "

Discol was a problem if left standing in the tank for any period, just as ethanol fuel is today . . . . . which is why my uncle used to drain the tanks of his Alvis and Bentley sports racers every autumn when I was a nipper. Both cars ran on Discol for road use, and a Discol/Nitro/Methanol mix for racing with the blower pressure cranked up . . . . . evil brew that had to be flushed through at the end of a meeting, and even the fumes could kill weeds at five paces.

My experience of having to remove and drain the tank out of KEH as a result of ethanol/water dropping out convinced me never to leave fuel in the tank over winter again . . . . drain as much as possible before laying-up, run the engine until it can't suck any more, then on Spring recommissioning chuck in a couple of gallons of 98 octane and a tin of 'dri-fuel' or somesuch to soak up any remaining water.

Cheers

Alec

Don't know about Aral, but Shell told me that V-Power has Ethanol.

Got my information from German TR Register Detlef Ress

who is official connector to the industry and Oldtimer scene.

Do not know who is right or wrong or if maybe the intention

of SHELL has changed during the time.

http://www.tr-register.de/index.php/kontaktdeutschland

Just expanded the ad in the first post in this thread to full size - looks like the liquid version of BS to me.

Periodically the life of fuel comes up on boating forums, where the consequences of bad fuel may be more serious, especially if you are offshore.

Interesting mixture of fact and folklore, with many putting their boat fuel into their car or lawnmower after a certain time. (For some reason damage to them is less important.)

When I made an enquiry to Shell they implied that in a normal fairly well sealed fuel tank I should get nine months or so before fuel deterioration occurred.

In practice I have found this to be the case. Never had a fuel problem and go for months between trips. Normally put a bit of fresh fuel in on the way to the bay.

We have non-ethanol fuel available at most service stations, I don't use ethanol fuel in Prado or boat.

Although I have had no problems over the years with old fuel in the boat I don't criticise the ones who go to extreme lengths to keep theirs fresh. Peace of mind is part of the equation.

My 2.5 Pi Vitesse is skimmed to a high CR, approx. 10.8.

After the winter before last, I started it up to find it was pinking. I had 10-15 litres in the 40 litre tank, and filling up with the Shell V-nitro I always use got rid of it.

I think the octane number does go down over winter - I should use it more when the weather's cold!

John

" once we have our Ethanol and water mixture is it useful for anything? "

Decent enough weedkiller on my parking spaces . . . . .

" Back in the day they used to sell Cleveland Discol petrol which had ethanol as a basic ingredient. I don't remember hearing any problems from that. "

Discol was a problem if left standing in the tank for any period, just as ethanol fuel is today . . . . . which is why my uncle used to drain the tanks of his Alvis and Bentley sports racers every autumn when I was a nipper. Both cars ran on Discol for road use, and a Discol/Nitro/Methanol mix for racing with the blower pressure cranked up . . . . . evil brew that had to be flushed through at the end of a meeting, and even the fumes could kill weeds at five paces.

My experience of having to remove and drain the tank out of KEH as a result of ethanol/water dropping out convinced me never to leave fuel in the tank over winter again . . . . drain as much as possible before laying-up, run the engine until it can't suck any more, then on Spring recommissioning chuck in a couple of gallons of 98 octane and a tin of 'dri-fuel' or somesuch to soak up any remaining water.

Cheers

Alec

I have always been lead to believe that emptying fuel tanks for the winter was not a good idea because condensation could form in an empty tank, with water possibly then entering the fuel system. It seems to be bad to keep the tank full & bad to leave it empty! Halfway?