Ethanol free Petrol

The ethanol was in the fuel for a reason.

The octane rating will be different if you really get it out with the magic elixir.

Little Jim is correct

If you remove the ethanol from 95 ron petrol, you will be left with around 90 ron.

As the advert said its little more than Tap water :blink:

If you put water into petrol with Ethanol in, the ethanol mixes with the water and drops to the bottom of the tank, this process is called phase separation( same thing happens if you leave petrol in the tank over winter and you get a built up of condensation in the tank).

Thanks for that Peter

I knew it was lower but could not remember the exact figure ;) it was meant to say 90 ish :ph34r:

Edited by Clarkey

Thanks for that Peter

I knew it was lower but could not remember the exact figure ;) it was meant to say 90 ish :ph34r:

Martin, It was just for the record....wasn't criticising your contribution. Peter :)

Add sloes and sugar?

I've been using standard 95 pump fuel in my Vitesse for many years now, mostly 5% ethanol I guess but also some 10% when driving in Europe. No problems apart from one dodgy fill up in rural France that seemed to be about 20% water and made it knock like hell.

Nick

In the UK the ethanol levels vary from less than 1% to 4% the average is just below 3% as our goverment requires "up to" 5% where as France, Germany and the rest of northern europe state 10% as the level of ethanol that has to be standard petrol. Not sure on the levels in 98ron in northern europe but stardard is 10%, this has caused a lot of issues with new and old cars alike.

Matt

the Brazilians get fuel with 25% ethanol.

Guess the motors are set up to handle it.

Once ran out of juice in the merc when working late and put a gallon of medical alcohol (pure ethanol) in the tank. (theft)

Only way to get the donk to keep working was to have the choke fully out.

Edited by littlejim

Once ran out of juice in the merc when working late and put a gallon of medical alcohol (pure ethanol) in the tank. (theft)

Only way to get the donk to keep working was to have the choke fully out.

Ethanol has roughly 75% of the energy content of petrol, by volume. The choke corrected for that.

Peter

Our pure lab ethanol was taxed as if a beverage...ferociously expensive :wacko:

Was this the same stuff years ago? Only just around the corner from me - but years before my time!

Probably not -- "ethyl" in reference to petrol refers to the anti-knock additive tetraethyl lead, not the alcohol ethanol!

Martin, It was just for the record....wasn't criticising your contribution. Peter :)

I know no problem Peter ;)