As reported in his column in TR Action, 

Our Wayne is stepping down from his role as TR Action editor, though staying on in his other roles.

These are going to be very hard shoes to fill, his work on our magazine has been astonishing, and he leaves us with a fabulous, professional Mag, the envy of many.

Thanks to Wayne for all his work on our clubs behalf, and good luck to him for everything else in his career in the future.

John.

Fully agree. Well done and thank you Wayne. 

just hope the club looks after you so that you remain in your other roles as inc ace TR ambassador.

Wayne will be greatly missed as Editor, those are big shoes to fill. The brief JD given by Wayne in his Traction article is enough to make one think just how much commitment we have been lucky to have.

Thank you Wayne

Iain

To maintain the standard of magazine which we have come to enjoy , looking at the JD and the commitment required I think we will struggle to find anyone to take it on as an unpaid volunteer I hope I am wrong.

Cheers Chris.

The mag is certainly glossy, and its page count is high.  Big kudos to Wayne for his hard work on it over the years.  To put it out with the frequency and quality expectations we have is a real achievement.  Thank you for the countless hours spent on it, Wayne.

With change comes the opportunity to look at TR Action and its editorial objectives.  Maybe this is a chance to think what the magazine really needs to be/can be for the TRR membership?  From my point of view it seems to have trended more social than technical/historic (my main interest), and as a far-flung member of the club there's alas not that much in all those pages for me.  I'm usually through it in less ten minutes.

Don, your point is well made and recognised. TR Action needs to appeal to all members. It was recommended to the recent UK GL meeting that we drop social scene as it is 16 pages of out of date stuff only relevant to the 20% of the membership that takes part in local group activities. They agreed.

The challenge for the new editor is to stimulate articles on technical and other stuff relevant to all members.

We have many new members that are of a generation that has never repaired or maintained their own cars, how do we help them?

Mick

28 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Don, your point is well made and recognised. TR Action needs to appeal to all members. It was recommended to the recent UK GL meeting that we drop social scene as it is 16 pages of out of date stuff only relevant to the 20% of the membership that takes part in local group activities. They agreed.

The challenge for the new editor is to stimulate articles on technical and other stuff relevant to all members.

We have many new members that are of a generation that has never repaired or maintained their own cars, how do we help them?

Mick

That seems to be a very good idea re the social scene. 

perhaps go to every other month ?

i know it’s been said before but the forum could drive much of the technical articles, but rather than give a tasks to A.N Other or John or new editor to harvest the information. The opportunity should be given to the helpers to turn their advice into an article like Bob has done ( May be get rid of the pen name :ph34r:)

i also think there could be an opportunity for member profiles. As there is such a wealth of interesting lives that involves our TR’s 

eg tims North American rallying. 
iain and his works rally car and international rallying

peter and his encyclopaedic knowledge of part numbers and the history of their supply chain

cheftush and his video channel mick and his racing exploits

Etc etc

• 3 weeks later...

+1

It still needs a skilled editor though to pull it all together into an attractive and coherent magazine.  

Having worked on page layup for a scientific society's monthly magazine, there is a shed load of tasks after the page has been constructed for the editor to make it look professional.   Not a skill I have, it is not simply cut and paste, unless you are writing a ransom note.

19 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hand over    THE money - I hAve a   G ub

Well looks like Roger has volunteered for the

(guardian) job

Assuming they are referring to alkylate fuel it's hardly new I have been running my garden machinery on it for years.  It runs smoother and produces far less harmful emissions which is a real bonus when using chainsaws etc at close quarters.  One drawback is the price, at around £25 per gallon it is not really feasible (for me anyway) in the TR.  

If the Porsches can cope with an octane rating of around 94 they should be OK.

It is still a fossil fuel though.

Mike

Looks like the Porsches synthetic fuel is made from Hydrogen combined with CO2, result is almost zero emissions at the exhaust, but that doesn't take account of the energy used in building and running the facility used to make it, and as a result it must be very expensive to produce on the current scale.

https://www.facebook.com/GoodwoodRRC/videos/the-synthetic-fuel-that-could-save-the-ice/213673834267071/?locale=hi_IN

On 4/23/2023 at 7:37 PM, Mick Forey said:

Mick

Hello Mick

Not sure I agree with dropping all the social scene and replacing it with a version of a Haynes Manual. For me the club is a social club as much as a car club. It could just alienate the 20% who enjoy reading what the different groups are up to. The social scene might also encourage more people to join in with group events. Feature articles about a group tour of Europe or results of a hill climb for example are also out of date being reported after the event. At present the magazine is an interesting blend of articles covering technicalities, restoration projects, overseas trips, social events, letters etc. The forum is the place to go for technical help where there is a wealth of tech info and people willing to share their knowledge of the cars. The magazine should have something for everyone. 20% is a significant section of the members I would have thought.

Keith

Hi Keith, one of the suggestions from a group leader was to replace the existing social scene "snapshot reports" with one or two more in-depth reports each issue from the local groups. This would cover who the group is, what they do throughout the year and what they are planning to do in the future. With lots of photos of their events. These would rotate round the groups willing to put pen to paper. It was thought by many that the snapshot reports were neither news nor enough coverage of group activities.

As a prevoius scribe of social scene for the Leicestershire group, I always found them hard to write given the publication deadlines and the limitations of space for text and photos.

Worthy of developing the idea?

Mick

Hello Mick

It is certainly an idea and would allow a few extra photos and a more 'in depth' look at specific local groups. One of the things that Wayne said some years ago now was to have 'action' photos rather than people sitting round a table in a pub or stood by their cars or a few cars lined up outside a pub. I think that the social activities of the groups can attract new members and if we are talking about 20% of the membership then that is something to encourage. Once new members start going to meetings they usually find that they learn lots about how to fix the cars etc and if they go out on a tour with the group then there is always someone to help if they should break down. Anything that encourages the camaraderie is worth keeping. Never really figured out why there are so many members of local groups who have never been to a local group meeting. CVTR have tried to address this over the years by emailing/phoning new members and organising events in various parts of our patch with some limited success. We have done everything from the usual pub lunches to several airshows, railway events, car shows, skittles, pub quiz, Welsh weekend visit, the Lakes tour, Derby Dales, tours of the Elan Valley in Wales so plenty to choose from but it is usually the same 20% that come to these events. Our meetings are held at a historic National Trust pub with real ale and good food so wouldn't have thought the venue was an issue.

It's a mystery

Keith

Hi Keith,

There is a very similar story for most local groups. Great shame but we must continue to try. The Leicestershire group has had a recent influx of new younger, active members which is good to see but we are still only 20% of the total members in our patch.

Mick

Were we to modify Group Reports to give in-depth coverage of one Local Group in each issue and (as mentioned at the Group leaders' meeting and the AGM) to reduce to TR Action to 6 issues per annum, it would take about 8 years to shine the spotlight on each Local Group.

Hmmm!

However, rather than talk about the past doings of each Local Group with photos of members consuming food,, the future events for each Group could be covered in a format consuming far fewer pages.

Ian Cornish