The best mod I ever made to my TR6 was ..........

58 minutes ago, Andy1966 said:

Phoenix standard look exhaust system with 6 branch manifold sound great. 

Would be interested to know other owners comments, as its on my wish list for the future when the Boss agrees to let me buy !

You probably don't want to hear this but I ended up removing the Phoenix six branch manifold and refitted the standard cast iron job to cut down on under bonnet heat, and it made next no difference in performance.

I still have the standard looking Phoenix silencer but this winter it's off to a local motorcycle exhaust manufacturer for repacking, as I find the exhaust note to harsh. Having said that the quality and fit of the Phoenix system is first class.

George 

14 hours ago, harlequin said:

You probably don't want to hear this but I ended up removing the Phoenix six branch manifold and refitted the standard cast iron job to cut down on under bonnet heat, and it made next no difference in performance.

I still have the standard looking Phoenix silencer but this winter it's off to a local motorcycle exhaust manufacturer for repacking, as I find the exhaust note to harsh. Having said that the quality and fit of the Phoenix system is first class.

George 

George

Thanks for the feedback, ok that definitely helps me and makes me have a rethink 

Thank you

Andy 

Cheap upgrades...

Electronic ignition.   I have Pertronix but as the dizzy ages, I'm going 123

Surprised this has not been mentioned (unless i missed it), but: 2nd thing I'd do is run relay wiring to the Headlights and fuel pump. Takes current load of aged switchgear and improves voltage at 2 devices that are voltage sensitive.

(In my car's case, extending this to a swap of the glass fuse box to a laded type also v v helpful)

I love the engine sound, but I also love my music.  Ideal is both together IMHO.  Pop a small amp in the boot to run speakers so they don't distort over the wind noise at motorway speeds.

(not as cheap)

A reconditioning of the PI system and (espl in a CR) reconditioning the throttle body controls with a modern upgrade rather than one specc'd by BL accountants made a massive difference.

From a comfort point of view:

MX5 seats with removable headrests

New Inertia reel seat belts with the wheel arch guides.

Factory Hardtop - obviously still have hood, tonneau and hood cover if desired.

Replace too loud exhaust with standard pattern stainless

Technical:

Install relays for all high power items together with 10 way blade fuse box

Spin on Oil Filter (The TR Shop one that doesn't leak!)

Bronze Thrust Washers.

Cooling Coil on your Lucas Fuel Pump.

14 inch steering wheel with a short boss.

Solderless nipple after pinch bolt on Bonnet release cable. 

Stainless steel exhaust system (factory pattern)

Hand Brake lever extenders.

Water Temperature Gauge with numbers on.

And If you do have Wire Wheels? Fit modern ones that are sealed that don't require inner tubes!

I have fitted an uprated cam, converted to EFI, have Phoenix exhaust, LED headlights, MX5 seats, blue LED dash, AFR, Fuel Pressure, oil temp gauges, 15x7 Minilites, uprated driveshafts, new steel front hubs & stub axles - BUT, have now bought a late PFL PI Saloon which is almost standard and I love it, I am going to keep it as standard as possible, it's too easy to take away the essence of what these cars were.

Professional Fighters League?

Regards

Bill 

8 minutes ago, Bill944T said:

Professional Fighters League?

Regards

Bill 

Pre FaceLift Bill

1 hour ago, iani said:

I have fitted an uprated cam, converted to EFI, have Phoenix exhaust, LED headlights, MX5 seats, blue LED dash, AFR, Fuel Pressure, oil temp gauges, 15x7 Minilites, uprated driveshafts, new steel front hubs & stub axles - BUT, have now bought a late PFL PI Saloon which is almost standard and I love it, I am going to keep it as standard as possible, it's too easy to take away the essence of what these cars were.

One cross each

3 hours ago, iani said:

Pre FaceLift Bill

That’s a viscous (sic) rumour! I will admit to having a dental implant though!

Regards

Bill

Daylight Running Lights -  for peace of mind in modern traffic.

Breezebreaker - for more comfort.

LED lamps for all front and rear external lights -  for peace of mind in modern traffic.

Seat belt retainers -  makes it easy to find the belts and can stop them dangling outside of the car.

Laminated windscreen - why would anybody still have toughened glass?