New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

A big ask but if anyone could check my order of tasks for flaws it would be much appreciated, please and thank you.  The new wiring harness is in and wired to the tail lights, fuel tank and fuse area.  I have decided I will clean up the rats nest next winter as it is a real challenge for me. Completing the dash wiring will be a good start as I am restoring it to normal, I hesitate to call it correct.  Still waiting for a lot of parts.  Including the gearbox top and the re-cored radiator.  (I had 2 rads so I had them both done at the same time as the guy that is doing them is close to retirement)  Anything asterisked is an anytime task.

I have managed to get a fair amount done with all your help and really can't believe the difference in my knowledge level from June when I bought it until now.  My father in law's comment yesterday when he dropped by and saw what I had done was "and to think we used to buy you power tools in the hope that you'd kill or damage yourself".

All critique and any suggestions welcome.

Drill hole for gearbox dipstick

Trim gearbox cover cover for access to dipstick

Make and install hatches for gearbox cover

Grease U-Joint

Paint gearbox cover

Install refurbished gearbox top

Install gearbox cover

*Install dip switch bracket (Drill 7/8" hole and wire switch with spades)

Recover capping

Install capping

Install Vent flap mechanism

*Repaint Instrument cluster panel and original rear view mirror, install new glass.

Reassemble Apron, headlights, support bar. Bonnet lift mecanism

*Clean engine bay

Recore radiators and mount fan - Barton Street in process.

*Paint and seal fibreboard deflector

Install new engine ground and secondary ground

Replace Heater Pipes and hoses  in engine bay

Install new oil pressure pipe

Install dashboard and instruments and wire

Install steering wheel and new control head

Coolant hoses replaced

Install horns with relay

Install radiator

Install Deflector

Install apron, mount LED ballasts

Install battery

Fluids

TEST START

Install bonnet

Install heat and sound proofing

Install rearview mirror

Install jute

Install carpets

Install cockpit panels

Install new seat rails

Install seatbelts

Install seats

Fit new door pulls

Reassemble doors and install

Install hood sticks

Install windshield.

Replace vacuum advance

Get carbs tuned.

image.png

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Lebro said:

Should all be done by March :ph34r:

By LED ballast do you mean the driver box for LED headlamps ? no ballast is required for other lamps.

Bob.

Yes I do mean the driver box.  Ballast seemed a better option than doohickey since I didn't know the correct term.

In the time it took you to write that list you could have had some of the jobs done:D.

Ralph

4 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

In the time it took you to write that list you could have had some of the jobs done:D.

Ralph

If I had the parts!!!  Anyway i needed a new plan so I could try to anticipate any additional requirements beforehand.  I had no idea what I would need (or break) when I started.

40 minutes ago, R.M. said:

I think that is called social funding these days, get others to pay for your, tools, parts, workshop, holiday, etc, does anyone out there like to pay for my restoration as i am broke. Thought not

:lol:  TR Register members have paid the price already.  Having to read through my posts!

On 1/24/2021 at 5:41 PM, David Owen said:

A big ask but if anyone could check my order of tasks for flaws it would be much appreciated, please and thank you.  The new wiring harness is in and wired to the tail lights, fuel tank and fuse area.  I have decided I will clean up the rats nest next winter as it is a real challenge for me. Completing the dash wiring will be a good start as I am restoring it to normal, I hesitate to call it correct.  Still waiting for a lot of parts.  Including the gearbox top and the re-cored radiator.  (I had 2 rads so I had them both done at the same time as the guy that is doing them is close to retirement)  Anything asterisked is an anytime task.

I have managed to get a fair amount done with all your help and really can't believe the difference in my knowledge level from June when I bought it until now.  My father in law's comment yesterday when he dropped by and saw what I had done was "and to think we used to buy you power tools in the hope that you'd kill or damage yourself".

All critique and any suggestions welcome.

Drill hole for gearbox dipstick

Trim gearbox cover cover for access to dipstick

Make and install hatches for gearbox cover

Grease U-Joint

Paint gearbox cover

Install refurbished gearbox top

Install gearbox cover

*Install dip switch bracket (Drill 7/8" hole and wire switch with spades)

Recover capping

Install capping

Install Vent flap mechanism

*Repaint Instrument cluster panel and original rear view mirror, install new glass.

Reassemble Apron, headlights, support bar. Bonnet lift mecanism

*Clean engine bay

Recore radiators and mount fan - Barton Street in process.

*Paint and seal fibreboard deflector

Install new engine ground and secondary ground

Replace Heater Pipes and hoses  in engine bay

Install new oil pressure pipe

Install dashboard and instruments and wire

Install steering wheel and new control head

Coolant hoses replaced

Install horns with relay

Install radiator

Install Deflector

Install apron, mount LED ballasts

Install battery

Fluids

TEST START

Install bonnet

Install heat and sound proofing

Install rearview mirror

Install jute

Install carpets

Install cockpit panels

Install new seat rails

Install seatbelts

Install seats

Fit new door pulls

Reassemble doors and install

Install hood sticks

Install windshield.

Replace vacuum advance

Get carbs tuned.

image.png

Location for your dip switch  if you are still searching for an image.

It comes from this advert. 
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/perfection-achieved-1956-triumph-tr3/amp

Peter W

image.jpeg.dab23dc4dc95a294f22dd3f7b9304129.jpeg

Well another lesson learned.  Gearbox # is CT12348.  Early TR4 #.

So I purchased a TR3B/TR4 Gearbox top

Different forks.  :angry:  More wasted time while I sort this out.

Original has the arrow.

Well lots of other things to do although I was hoping to wrap this up this weekend. 

1993140816_TOPScopy.jpg.d165da0dd9a37c4b0253b14700915268.jpg

The bottom gearbox cover on your photo is a TR2 / 3 non synchro in 1st gear one. you could probably change over the reverse fork (or all of them) to get it right.

(will hold off dipstick machining till you get it sorted).  Being an early box cover I would have expected the dipstick hole to be there already, but maybe they deleted it near the end of production of that box type.

This from TR 2 workshop manual:  Note position of locking screw on reverse selector fork.

1637616462_gearboxtop.thumb.jpg.b64470294702c3a02572821679fee24d.jpg

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
30 minutes ago, Lebro said:

The bottom gearbox cover on your photo is a TR2 / 3 non synchro in 1st gear one. you could probably change over the reverse fork (or all of them) to get it right.

(will hold off dipstick machining till you get it sorted).  Being an early box cover I would have expected the dipstick hole to be there already, but maybe they deleted it near the end of production of that box type.

This from TR 2 workshop manual:  Note position of locking screw on reverse selector fork.

1637616462_gearboxtop.thumb.jpg.b64470294702c3a02572821679fee24d.jpg

Bob.

Thanks Bob...you just made my day.  It wasn't me that made the mistake.  The one I just purchased was listed as a TR3A/4 gearbox top but is obviously not.  I still should have had a closer look at the forks though.

Edited by David Owen

A TR3A gearbox is not the same as a TR4 one, the changeover from 3 synchro to 4 synchro boxes happened with the release of the TR4, although some TR3B's were also fitted with them.

What is your plan now ?

Bob.

13 minutes ago, Lebro said:

A TR3A gearbox is not the same as a TR4 one, the changeover from 3 synchro to 4 synchro boxes happened with the release of the TR4, although some TR3B's were also fitted with them.

What is your plan now ?

Bob.

I will return the one I have and order the right one immediately.  I may have to return it with the dipstick since I already drilled it..  Which, if it turns out to be my fault, would only be fair.

I have just looked at the ebay post for the cover you bought, it definately states it is for a TR4, but it definately is not !  I would not worry about the dip stick hole, as that type usually had them anyway.  I don't really want to make you a dipstick for you to give away !

Bob.

27 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I have just looked at the ebay post for the cover you bought, it definately states it is for a TR4, but it definately is not !  I would not worry about the dip stick hole, as that type usually had them anyway.  I don't really want to make you a dipstick for you to give away !

Bob.

Thank you.  I will talk to them Monday first thing.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, Ian Vincent said:

I have a TR2 gearbox lid Bob and it is compatible with my 2000 saloon gearbox.  That's how I have a dipstick.

Rgds Ian

Ian.

Having checked on the difference (see above posts) I don't see how you could have a TR2 top on a saloon box unless someone has changed the reverse selector fork as a minimum.

Bob.

4 hours ago, David Owen said:

I believe this is the one I need.

GBT.png.961f6693d43bf91a612560d1353ec0c6.png

I agree the photo is for a TR4 one, but description says TR2 - TR3A  is it the same seller as before ?  maybe this one, also wrongly described

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-OEM-TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3A-GEARBOX-TOP-COVER-ASSEMBLY-W-O-OIL-DIPSTICK-A055/233370229077?hash=item3655f31955:g:NkIAAOSwEWtZuWpr

Same seller, he has them the wrong way round in all cases.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Ian.

Having checked on the difference (see above posts) I don't see how you could have a TR2 top on a saloon box unless someone has changed the reverse selector fork as a minimum.

Bob.

You are probably right Bob. It’s quite possible I dismantled the cover from my saloon box along with the TR2 cover and made one that fitted and worked. Put it this way, the actual lid is pretty much identical it’s the innards that are different so it just becomes a case of swapping things over. 

Rgds Ian 

When I look at this picture what do I look for to identify 3 or 4 gear synchromesh?

1439711313_Gearingcopy.jpg.0f71bbdbbdbf5784c6b7d6ca35f8657c.jpg

Also, is the reverse fork THE indentifier of which gearbox top you are looking at?  I realize the other two forks are different as well,

Edited by David Owen

Heres a picture of a saloon 4 synchro gearbox. The synchro rings are the brass rings with serrated edges that stand out quite clearly. Or at least they did in real life, not so clear on the photo. But basically there should be one each side of the hubs where the selector forks fit. If you don`t have one at the rear end ( bottom on your pic and mine) then you have a 3 synchro box.

20210131_132405.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker