New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

Yours is a 4 synchro David.  The bottom most helical gear is 1st gear, it would not be there if it was a 3 synchro one.

The next gear up which is straight cut is for reverse only, if it were a 3 synchro box then it would also have been for 1st gear.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
  • Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

David,

If it's any help.  I acquired my TR2 gearbox lid with the dipstick as an impulse buy from another TR-Register member for £25, about 10 years ago.  Bob has reminded me that I took the two lids apart to create the lid that I currently have. I am in no way a gearbox expert, I wouldn't dream of trying to rebuild one, I leave that to experts, however I took a few photos of both the new lid and the one that was on my Triumph 2000 saloon box and then as Bob has identified set about making the new (to me) Tr2 lid a replica of the one on the Tr2000 box.  I obviously managed not to break enough of the wedgelok screws not to have to order any more and shuffled around the operating forks until they would do the job of operating the OD switches and the gear clusters.

I vaguely recall that it took me a weekend when my wife was away and I was allowed into the garage uninterrupted.

So if you are unable to find the right lid for your box, it isn't a challenge to do what I did and the advantages of a dipstick (plus a hole in the gearbox tunnel) are obvious.  Particularly if you don't have a hoist.

Rgds Ian

PS Having just seen Peter's post on gearbox identification I am reminded that the saloon box only had O/D operating on 3rd and 4th and therefore only needed one switch on the cover.  Having had my O/D uprated to TR spec by ORS, I wanted it to operate on 2nd gear as well, and because the TR2 cover was drilled for two O/D switches I was able to achieve this by judicious swapping around of the various forks and buying an extra switch.

Edited by Ian Vincent
1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Heres a picture of a saloon 4 synchro gearbox. The synchro rings are the brass rings with serrated edges that stand out quite clearly. Or at least they did in real life, not so clear on the photo. But basically there should be one each side of the hubs where the selector forks fit. If you don`t have one at the rear end ( bottom on your pic and mine) then you have a 3 synchro box.

20210131_132405.jpg

So I have a 3 synchro but it has a TR4 serial #.  Is that possible? Am I wrong? Not knowing anything about TR4's I thought they were all 4 synchro's.

2 minutes ago, David Owen said:

So I have a 3 synchro but it has a TR4 serial #.  Is that possible? Am I wrong? Not knowing anything about TR4's I thought they were all 4 synchro's.

I didn't see Bob's post and I thought that gear had to be right next to the fork hub.

Now to hunt for Peter's gearbox ID post.

30 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Is this correct?

461412899_Gearingcopy.png.35f10b5f3c135ddb67d4ecd99dad9087.png

Yes that is correct, the synchro rings are the brass colored ones just beyond your arrow heads, & there are two more, 1 below your text "Reverse", & 1 below your text "4th" (which you can just see)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
38 minutes ago, David Owen said:

NO you have a 4 synchro ! & all TR4's had them,  some TR3B's but no TR2 / 3 / 3A's

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Good news

Will you be drilling the new one the same size as the last one

did you mention the "extra hole" on the returned one

I presume you informed him that his descriptions were wrong for both types ?

Bob.

16 hours ago, Lebro said:

Good news

Will you be drilling the new one the same size as the last one

did you mention the "extra hole" on the returned one

I presume you informed him that his descriptions were wrong for both types ?

Bob.

Yes to explaining the situation and mislabelling.  They called me to sort it out.  They don't want the old one back in case they can't resell it because I altered it. The shipping would wipe out any net positive for them.

They are excellent to deal with.  For me, when someone screws up, it's how they respond that matters.  You can't run any sort of business without messing up at some point.  It's impossible.  They definitely bought some loyalty/trust from me on this one.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:44 AM, Ian Vincent said:

David,

If it's any help.  I acquired my TR2 gearbox lid with the dipstick as an impulse buy from another TR-Register member for £25, about 10 years ago.  Bob has reminded me that I took the two lids apart to create the lid that I currently have. I am in no way a gearbox expert, I wouldn't dream of trying to rebuild one, I leave that to experts, however I took a few photos of both the new lid and the one that was on my Triumph 2000 saloon box and then as Bob has identified set about making the new (to me) Tr2 lid a replica of the one on the Tr2000 box.  I obviously managed not to break enough of the wedgelok screws not to have to order any more and shuffled around the operating forks until they would do the job of operating the OD switches and the gear clusters.

I vaguely recall that it took me a weekend when my wife was away and I was allowed into the garage uninterrupted.

So if you are unable to find the right lid for your box, it isn't a challenge to do what I did and the advantages of a dipstick (plus a hole in the gearbox tunnel) are obvious.  Particularly if you don't have a hoist.

Rgds Ian

PS Having just seen Peter's post on gearbox identification I am reminded that the saloon box only had O/D operating on 3rd and 4th and therefore only needed one switch on the cover.  Having had my O/D uprated to TR spec by ORS, I wanted it to operate on 2nd gear as well, and because the TR2 cover was drilled for two O/D switches I was able to achieve this by judicious swapping around of the various forks and buying an extra switch.

Thank Ian,

The forks are toast on the original and I think one of the shafts.  Knowing the seals are leaking badlly as well I will attempt to acquire the pieces over the next couple of years and rebuild it.  I have other priorities at the moment.  Now I know how Musk felt leading up to the first Space X launch.  :lol:

Edited by David Owen

I am trying to figure out where the oil pressure line runs before it gets to the firewall.  The simplest route would be along the heater pipe, but I do not think that is the right way to do it.  (I know the fuel line is incorrect.)  I am replacing the oil pressure line and want to get it as close to right as possible.  Any input would be welcome.  Thank you.

67254317_HeaterPipe.jpg.56dbc4a6955bcd809920b5ba011b52eb.jpg

It runs under the filter housing, over the snorkle pipe, & verticaly up just behind the fuel pump. There is a "P" clip securing it under the rear fuel pump fixing nut.

It then goes up, & terminates, changing to the flexible section.

305893620_Enginepainted.thumb.JPG.8e859a53a185fdde5e9eadb539667d0a.JPG   Click on to enlarge

Bob.

Mine drops down through a 90 degree curve and runs along level with where the sump joins the block and is held in place by p clips through two of the sump bolts before it connects to the flexible and turns through 90 degrees to run up the firewall. 

Some pictures. Much the same as Ian's really, but no fixings along the sump line.

20210207_102516.thumb.jpg.80bab40b068103270c8eb859f47076de.jpg  20210207_102505.thumb.jpg.15fa1783435d8eb5a29eb4dab01ee7c5.jpg  20210207_102620.thumb.jpg.918f1654ee312c1260f39935aaa93631.jpg 20210207_102437.thumb.jpg.32d1d0f9543c721ba4644a371f524a1b.jpg 20210207_102432.thumb.jpg.af11b4ab89a22cee3e0159826c7e81c0.jpg

Noticed on your photo David, your distributor is not in the normal position, but you would need to move the drive gear to a different mesh position on the camshaft to get it right (clockwise 1 tooth I would guess, & rotate the plug leads on the cap 90° clockwise.) then the vacuum pipe should be pretty much in line with the front of the car (subject to proper timing)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
43 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Some pictures. Much the same as Ian's really, but no fixings along the sump line.

20210207_102516.thumb.jpg.80bab40b068103270c8eb859f47076de.jpg  20210207_102505.thumb.jpg.15fa1783435d8eb5a29eb4dab01ee7c5.jpg  20210207_102620.thumb.jpg.918f1654ee312c1260f39935aaa93631.jpg 20210207_102437.thumb.jpg.32d1d0f9543c721ba4644a371f524a1b.jpg 20210207_102432.thumb.jpg.af11b4ab89a22cee3e0159826c7e81c0.jpg

Noticed on your photo David, your distributor is not in the normal position, but you would need to move the drive gear to a different mesh position on the camshaft to get it right (clockwise 1 tooth I would guess, & rotate the plug leads on the cap 90° clockwise.) then the vacuum pipe should be pretty much in line with the front of the car (subject to proper timing)

Bob.

The oil pressure pipe on your car looks to be in tha same layour as ours, Bob.

Now you mention the timing on David's distributor ...

Firing order viewed from above is 1-3-4-2 

Peter W

I tried to get some decent pics of mine but failed dismally.  However here is one of the line emerging from under the oil filter before it connects with the flexible.

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure mine is original, I certainly didn't add the couple of P clips that are picked up by the sump set screws, they were on the line when I took it off the car when I rebuilt it.

Rgds Ian

C54E794C-E344-490D-A0EF-ED60CC1DB7CF_1_105_c.jpeg