• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

Not really Richard, The Rugglestone is on the outskirts of Widecombe on the moor, you are closer to Tiverton. I’ve been to the Butterleigh Inn Butterleigh a couple of times that’s closer,  had a good meal there, although it was a year or so since the last time I went ,  mm

could try that.

Derek.

We used to visit the Rugglestone when you had to leave your car in Widecombe and walk to it. The lady who ran it used to wear very frilly Laura Ashleigh type dresses with wellington Boots. She stood behind a serving hatch and only sold Bass and wines. She didn’t have a spirit licence. Definitely no food!

the last time we went there, the field opposite had been opened up for parking and there were numerous tables. Progress maybe but it had lost it’s charm.

the other great pub was the Drewe Arms at Drewsteignton when Aunt Mabel was the licencee. The same family had run it for about a century. The 75 year old nephew who again served through a serving hatch told us proudly that unlike the Rugglestone, they had a spirit licence. When Aunt Mable died the brewery wanted to change it to an eating house but the locals protested and I believe raised the money to buy it. We’ve not been back since but I hope that it’s still unspoilt although I doubt it. 
Below, my wife and my much missed best friend and TR4 owner enjoying a Bass at Rugglestone in the 90s.
Rodders.

9082BA8E-5AF9-4BF6-89F0-F6C8F13F0A16.jpeg

Edited by modelbuilder

Popped out for a run to try out the new suspension set up with the road legal competition tyres. 

263D228A-1F0C-445C-9504-91EE3A402265.jpeg

309C6CE9-5766-42B8-A595-B43E1838AFF6.jpeg

19 hours ago, Misfit said:

Popped up on the moor, met up with a few Devon members at the two Bridge hotel including Crawfie for the first time. Then stopped off at Badgers Holt, on way home.

D8550E7F-F46B-452E-BC1A-EF150AE8FC83.jpeg

Spotted by a chum who lives in Tavistock...

PHOTO-2023-04-04-08-04-06.thumb.jpg.649269419c965c6623b23591e13a7ca8.jpg

Miles

7 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Hamish,

Looking good.

What make of tyres are those, & which size ? 205 / 60 / 15 ?

Cheers.

Thanks Tom

They are maxsport remoulds 185/55x15. ok for short blasts not so good for the road. They took a lot of balancing. 

IMG-20230409-WA0010.thumb.jpg.4253127e916fc89da239413c5d701a3a.jpgEaster run, Belvoir Castle in Background,  she has now done about 350 miles  !!  And running well, a few little things to sort out , but great to Drive.

Conrad.

Edited by openroad
Spelling
1 hour ago, openroad said:

IMG-20230409-WA0010.thumb.jpg.4253127e916fc89da239413c5d701a3a.jpgEaster run, Belvoir Castle in Background,  she has now done about 350 miles  !!  And running well, a few little things to sort out , but great to Drive.

Conrad.

Looking great Conrad. After all she's been through, must be good th have her on the road.

Hello chaps,   it was always going to happen, but you are right, I wasn't sure when. 

And I wasn't going to be beaten !!

I don't mind sorting the little things these days, always a good feeling when it's done and working properly. 

Cheers,  Conrad. 

Very Nice Conrad, and well done on getting her on the road to be useble and enjoyable ready for the springtime.

As an aside, I was interested to see the shape of your door glass and how it appears to more suddenly drop off at the top back corner. Mine own car's are wrong as it has TR6 door glass (..as was the hood n' frame) with a rounder top curve and less of a drop at that back corner.  Thanks for that.

Best regards, Pete

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

Very Nice Conrad, and well done on getting her on the road to be useble and enjoyable ready for the springtime.

As an aside, I was interested to see the shape of your door glass and how it appears to more suddenly drop off at the top back corner. Mine own car's are wrong as it has TR6 door glass (..as was the hood n' frame) with a rounder top curve and less of a drop at that back corner.  Thanks for that.

Best regards, Pete

Pete, I was told many years ago that TR4A glass is slightly different in shape to that of a TR5. When my 4A was restored, again several years ago, it was fitted with TR5 door glass as 4A was not available.

P1270497s.thumb.JPG.4a3b07b7ca24f27f7ac2dab55cfce3a4.JPG

This Easter weekend Katie and I visited Hedingham Castle, Halstead, Essex - built around about 1140 by Aubrey De Vere, the eldest son of a good buddy of the former Duke of Normandy, aka  William the Conquer. The property remains the home of one of his ancestors (..well he, his wife and three children live in the somewhat more comfortable mansion house built c.1719, within the grounds. They don't actually reside in the castle's keep).  The above photo was taken on Monday afternoon, belying the reality that the morning was miserably wet & quite chilly weather (hence the other half of the roof also being on).

Nevertheless..,  it was a great day out, and I met some other chaps there who were celebrating their Triumph ..

P1270486s.thumb.JPG.c45e51ac4e469c49205697374d5af735.JPG 

^ Spring Joust  with Knights of Middle England

Edited by Bfg