Help - I've lost a little thingy

Hi Folks,

today has been a waste of space.

I decided to re-site the home made heater valve in the engine bay.

I removed the little clip that clamps the operating cable to the top plate of the valve. Whereupon it flew out of my hand and disappeared.

Can it be found - NO!!!! i've seen this in Harry Potter.

Never mind, I thought, I'll continue and find it later.

Firstly I need some copper tube, then some yorkshire elbows, and some olives. Could I find my pipe cutter so a new one of those required. About £20 in all.

So after some cutting soldering and swearing I had the new pipe layout sorted.

Sadly valve was now in a vertical position (horizontal before) and the solid operating wire would now not align with the operating lever attachment hole. Was this a little annoying - NO - it was a lot annoying.

So after spending £20, wasted 2 or 3 hours I had to reinstall it back as it was (almost) AND with a little thingy missing.

So my plea - has anybody got a duff heater valve with the operating cable clamp on it that they no longer need.

Can I buy, borrow, steal the little clamp.

Roger

Hello Roger. All my lost bits end up stuck to the magnetic base of my torch. It's now the first place I check. Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,

it is amazing where things end up. My errant little thingy is not on the ground under the car, but it did sound as though it went through the engine bay.

Somewhere in the carb's/exhaust manifold/ alternator/starter lies a little thingy having a right good time whilst on the run.

Tomorrow we look in earnest. If that fails I'll look in Henry.

Roger

Roger you have a pm

Dave.

Having had speaks with Dave he is at this moment swimming across the Solent and will be running up the A3 to deliver a little thingy.

Do they not have the Post Office on the Island. :rolleyes:

Roger

Hi Dave,

it is amazing where things end up. My errant little thingy is not on the ground under the car, but it did sound as though it went through the engine bay.

Somewhere in the carb's/exhaust manifold/ alternator/starter lies a little thingy having a right good time whilst on the run.

Tomorrow we look in earnest. If that fails I'll look in Henry.

Roger

Roger when I stripped BUO i found the 1/2 socket that I lost 25 years and 2 intermediate owners after I first lost it so sure it will turn up!

The front end of a TR is the Bermuda Triangle for dropped objects.

I couldn't agree more - I'm still wondering what happened to a 35A fuse and a plenum mounting bolt that went missing last year. No funny noises yet, so I can only assume they have fallen somewhere harmless!

John

Roger when I stripped BUO i found the 1/2 socket that I lost 25 years and 2 intermediate owners after I first lost it so sure it will turn up!

Hi Graham,

my first chore today was to jack the front of the car up.

On the off side lower radiator mounting was a 9/16 spanner I've been looking for for many a week. Why it hadn't dropped off I don't know.

Roger

there was a TR4 at Bo,ness last yer

was mek,n strange noises up top

they found a 1/2 drive socket in the inlet manifold

apparently, had been there for ages !!!

As to wee bit, ive had things end up int bell housing,thru clutch arm hole

behint the starter, starter to block, and between feed wire to starter

stuck in the collector areas pipes

stuck on chassis rail edge

gone int hole thru suspension tower

gone in recess on supspension tower, where engine mont bolts are

Ye need t,get under neath Ole Bean

M

Edited by GT6M

Little things normally end up in a nook where chassis and bulkhead or sispension meet. you'll find it with a socket or two. whilst in there dig out the bits between extractor and block.

ps a yorkshire elbow will be too big, use a finger !

Having done this several times 30 years ago I created a tool for the job. A powerful cylindrical magnet 3/4 dia 3/4 long on the end of a springy bendy plastic rod about 10 inches long. Great for ferreting about to pick up missing bits from places where you can't get your hand in and often where you can't see.

For lost items on the floor, operating theatres use a handy magnetic tool. Used like a broom,but with a rod full of magnets instead of the brush, and small castors each end. See : http://www.alimed.com/magnetic-needle-finder.html

Eaxy to DiY!

John

John

Handy for the needles but not for the stitches I fear! :lol:

When I use a magnet to find things, it usually gets attracted to larger steel items like the engine block or chassis and won´t let go. Either that or the thing I am looking for is non magnetic like stainless n&b´s or brass ones.

Dave

Used one of these http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=2259&gclid=CPyWgbrLrdECFUGNGwod37cHWw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

many years ago when "we" dropped a boat winch handle over the side at Dartmouth.

It attached itself to something large ferrous and fixed. We suspect admiralty hardware !?!?

We had a devil of a job releasing it whilst in an inflatable Avon dingy !!!

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi John,

I can see you are on the same wave length as me - that may not be good :o

I'm sure if I dropped any of those parts they would all simply disappear into thin air.

My garage is full of stuff that has disappeared into thin air. :blink:

Roger

Roger,

it would seem that your garage is a node of Quantum Instability, where objects previously kept in collapsed wave function form by your observation revert to a superposition of several eigenstates, and become distributed anywhere within the building, only to be re-collapsed into non-quantum form when you actually see them again.

OR DO THEY??

Conjecture that all garages are part of the same Quantum Node, and that when they revert, the objects become distributed anywhere within the Universe of Garages.

Only because we do not know that our colleague is searching for something does the object not materialise on our workbench, just under the sandwich wrapper.

Now that by publishing your paper on the Thingy, the new particle that is a major contribution to modifying and extending the Standard Model of Sub-Atomic Particles, you have exceeded any from that bauble the Large Hadron Collider, and you are a cert for the next Nobel in Fysicks. Congratulations! Like the Higgs Boson, there is a highly positive probability function that the Thingy will turn up, but not on your garage floor!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Roger

I would refer you to this link: http://hitchhikersguidequotes.tumblr.com/post/16166477046/the-hitch-hikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-is-a-very

To précis:

Somewhere in the cosmos,....along with all the planets inhabited by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking treeoids and superintelligent shades of the colour blue, there is also a planet entirely given over to biro thingy life forms. And it is to this planet that unattended biros thingies make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they knew they enjoy a uniquely biroid thingoid lifestyle, responding to highly thingy-oriented stimuli, and generally leading the thingy equivalent of the good life.

And thus I conclude that you have a wormhole in your garage! :rolleyes:

Roger,

it would seem that your garage is a node of Quantum Instability, where objects previously kept in collapsed wave function form by your observation revert to a superposition of several eigenstates, and become distributed anywhere within the building, only to be re-collapsed into non-quantum form when you actually see them again.

OR DO THEY??

Conjecture that all garages are part of the same Quantum Node, and that when they revert, the objects become distributed anywhere within the Universe of Garages.

Only because we do not know that our colleague is searching for something does the object not materialise on our workbench, just under the sandwich wrapper.

Now that by publishing your paper on the Thingy, the new particle that is a major contribution to modifying and extending the Standard Model of Sub-Atomic Particles, you have exceeded any from that bauble the Large Hadron Collider, and you are a cert for the next Nobel in Fysicks. Congratulations! Like the Higgs Boson, there is a highly positive probability function that the Thingy will turn up, but not on your garage floor!

John

According to the Sunday/Daily Sport or National Enquirer, depending on who you trust, a world war 2 bomber was found on the moon....

PS Roger - I usually ask my wife if she has looked in her other handbag.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT