This is from the I must be searching wrong department...

The battery in our 1973 car is having a harder time starting and looks to be about 10 yrs old.

I thought I'd search the archives, but no combination of TR6 AND Battery ... is yielding the result.

My apologies in advance, what do I need to pop down to Halfrauds and get?

I took the dimensions of the space and where the positive terminal was and went to Halfords and bought the biggest one I could get to fit. 

Mick

The biggest battery that the tray on a TR6 will accommodate is a 334. The three digit number is common to all the popular manufacturers with the correct +ive & -ive orientation.

I recently bought a Yuasa 334 battery from Halfords with the trade card discount, I can't remember the cost right now. 

Richard.

Huge thanks all, and my apologies for being a dimbulb searcher!

This battery from Halfords has done the job well.

Tim

289392959_20210522_103647_resized(002).thumb.jpg.42c8a57c4845847403a8dcb4345465af.jpg

19 hours ago, Steve-B said:

This is from the I must be searching wrong department...

The battery in our 1973 car is having a harder time starting and looks to be about 10 yrs old.

I thought I'd search the archives, but no combination of TR6 AND Battery ... is yielding the result.

My apologies in advance, what do I need to pop down to Halfrauds and get?

I went to Halfords for a new battery as that is where my old one came from which was for a Stag. But they did not do that battery anymore and then I had the problem of terminal orientation. So I gave up and found a place up north that did an original Lucas spec. TR6 battery with a 3 year warranty. Called Pellon Tyre and Autocenter Ltd. Part no. 069LP. This battery is an exact fit for the TR6!

Bruce.

The ampere-hour (Ah) figure isn't terribly important Michael - the battery is really only used for starting the engine and for that it's the Cold Cranking Amps  ( CCA  )that counts more.  Current once running comes from the alternator, not the battery, so the headlamp drain shouldn't matter.   

High Ah is really only a consideration if you intend doing something that drains the battery with the engine not running - like parking with sidelights on . 

If the starter and fuel pump take  - say -  300 amps total ( should be rather less ) and you have to crank continuously for one whole minute, that equates to 300 amp-minutes or  5 Ah.   Car batteries are designed to cycle down to about 80% of full charge on starting , so a 25 Ah battery will be good to supply that  figure - anything more is a bonus to make up for when the battery ages and loses capacity. 

The 069 battery referenced above is typically 70Ah and > 450CCA depending on construction. 

Edited by RobH

A few weeks ago I fitted a Lucas Battery, an LP O72T, made by Tanya . It replaced another identical battery that I have had for the previous six years or so. Its a perfect fit with the terminals the correct way round and is marketed for a Land Rover - good value and comes with a four year guarantee. I ordered it in the afternoon and it arrived the following day post free. 

Derek

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191898122333

1 hour ago, DRD said:

I've never been able to work out the difference between a 69 and 72 battery - they seem to be the same.

They are a slightly different shape I believe. Doesn't matter in a TR but it might in other cars.

Edited by RobH
On 1/16/2024 at 11:46 AM, RobH said:

069 batteries are a standard size and are available from lots of suppliers.  e.g.:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/search/069

I certainly wouldn't use or recommend Tayna Rob

Bought a battery for my '6' from them

12 month warranty.

11 months in, the battery just gave up and died a rapid death.

Claimed under said warranty.

Sent battery back as requested (BUT signed for).

They agreed that the battery had failed and offered me 1/12 of the cost back to cover the unused warranty period of one month.

Kept insisting that their warranty trumped English law and the sale of goods act.

This went on for weeks, emails back and forth.

In the end I sent what I told them was my final communication on the subject; pay my full cost or we would go to the small claims court.

I laid out the additional costs that they would incur (court costs, my time, distress etc etc) when the court found in my favour, which, I said, it most certainly would.

They coughed up the full amount I was owed.

So; good prices, yes

Quick delivery, yes

Customer support, nil

Honesty, suspect at best

No, I'll not deal with them again

On 1/16/2024 at 2:07 PM, saffrontr said:

A few weeks ago I fitted a Lucas Battery, an LP O72T, made by Tanya . It replaced another identical battery that I have had for the previous six years or so. Its a perfect fit with the terminals the correct way round and is marketed for a Land Rover - good value and comes with a four year guarantee. I ordered it in the afternoon and it arrived the following day post free. 

Derek

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191898122333

Keep the paperwork Derek.

In all honesty, you shouldn't need it, but, SHOULD the battery fail you during the warranty period, you'll have to work to get your money back.

Useful to hear John I've had a couple of batteries from them no issues. Your experiences however may well influence where I buy from next time and good for you for standing up to them when others would have given up..

Andy

I've also suffered from the poor customer service at Tanya but as it was a relatively low value lawn mower battery which failed under warranty, I let them fob me off and get away with it, but will never buy from them again

Time will tell I guess, maybe I was lucky with the last one which lasted six years and like the last one the new one comes with a four year warranty so maybe different type to what you had John. 

Derek

Always use Halfords - they price match, I can usually walk out with what I want and they have a physical location that I can take 'duff' batteries back to.  

+1 for Halfords. My local one has always been very good.

I fitted a while back a battery isolator (manual one you screw in/out) and it has made a big difference to the battery performance. I don’t use the car much in winter and the isolator seems to have helped the life of the battery a lot. Just started the car after 4 or 5 months (my bad) and it fired up on second crank. Needed choke for a minute or so but warmed up nicely. Even with 4/5 months in garage the battery kept its charge well.

Interesting experience with tayna. I've had loads of batteries from them and service has been good. Even when I ordered the wrong one the accepted it as a return. 

Tim

31 minutes ago, Tim D. said:

Interesting experience with tayna. I've had loads of batteries from them and service has been good.

Tim

Another satified Tayna customer here, although I would always hesitate at buying any battery with just one years warranty as in John's case. There's a good range available called BulletBatt from Tayna with old style construction and 4 years warranty. Mine is 7.5 years in and good. Size is 096R for TR4/5/6, the R suffix is the reversed terminal one with negative terminal to wiper motor side.

Bob

18 hours ago, OldBob said:

Another satified Tayna customer here, although I would always hesitate at buying any battery with just one years warranty as in John's case. There's a good range available called BulletBatt from Tayna with old style construction and 4 years warranty. Mine is 7.5 years in and good. Size is 096R for TR4/5/6, the R suffix is the reversed terminal one with negative terminal to wiper motor side.

Bob

Not sure that the length of the warranty is relevant Bob, it's their willingness to honour the warranty that's the issue