Inter-Club International - June 28/30th - 2024

There was supposed to be an Indian "tiffin"  stall and a proper Coffee stall , neither were there and yes the ice cream man obviously thought better.

Practically everyone drinks Tea and Coffee ,  so an absolute no brainer for one of those lovely pop up Coffee and cake vans.

There is probably a political reason for it , but strangely it was the same at Silverstone , one Cofffee stall for thousands of people !!

Maybe i should of kept the kettle boiling in my camper, could have done some Trade !!!

Food for thought  .

Conrad.

• 2 weeks later...

To Mick Forey

you was in Holland for their 50 weekend.

That's what we need for our gatherings not a field with a shed.

Hotel rooms not tents .

Those of us with grey hair who now seem to out number the youngsters need comfort .

Now very old farts.

Roy

I would be happy to camp, but SWMBO will not camp as she would not be able to grovel around on knees.

Hence, ever since she started to accompany me to IWEs, we have been using B&B accommodation.

I have booked B&B for June 2024 at the place we used in 2021.

Ian Cornish

In Holland there was enough camping space right at the venue, but most preferred a room. Times have changed.

Cheers,
Waldi

We have already started thinking about an International of the future, with a hotel based event but with camping nearby. I used the TRCH50 event as an example of how it can be done well.

I think it is an inevitable shift but when? 2025? I would be interested in members views.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I would prefer a camping/campground and hotel together on one location. It also avoids “separation”, not feeling connected.

It does not need to be luxury/high end for me either, what was available at TRCH50 was enough.

I hope similar places can be found in the UK?

The Dutch event was relatively small (200-250 cars), so no paid security or paid hosts etc. was needed. This helped to keep the costs relatively low. Food was excellent (I did not organise it so am entitled to say;)) and I think worth spending the extra money.

Best regards,

Waldi

For me, camping off site just would not work. Campers will want to look around the show, pop back to the tent / caravan for a rest / cuppa, or chat with others, then back to the show - & so on. Having to drive back to the campsite is a non starter.

Bob

4 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

We have already started thinking about an International of the future, with a hotel based event but with camping nearby. I used the TRCH50 event as an example of how it can be done well.

I think it is an inevitable shift but when? 2025? I would be interested in members views.

Mick

Asap! Many people do not want to camp these days!

5 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Mick

Americans have been doing that for years, admittedly they do have plenty of resort hotels to utilise. I believe someone did suggest somewhere in the Midlands that was eminently suitable (Hotel/camping) when all the discussion was being had before but it was ignored.

Stuart.

I totally understand the request/requirements for camping and caravanning, but it’s not for me. I stopped camping when I could afford a comfortable bed and shower.

BUT, I’m sensitive as to how much I have to pay for the privilège. B)

james

A hotel/camping solution seems to fit the requirements best for the near future. I camped at Shepton Mallet as I have for 'IWEs' in the past, but I'm not for camping again as the appeal has gone down for me and people I know. There was a feeling of 'separation' (that Waldi mentioned) as people made their way off site to accommodation.

What I think is needed is that the event (field/buildings/tents) and camping are at the same site with ideally the hotel, if not a just a short walk to the hotel or shuttle bus service would be acceptable.   

I have been to a hotel only based TR event in Germany that was excellent, but such an event can't be an 'IWE' due to the financial costs/ limit on numbers and that would have a knock-on to the 'event part' and probably make it one day only anyway.

Chris

On 9/10/2023 at 7:43 AM, Mick Forey said:

Mick

Hi Mick

I think the TRCH@50 formula was spot on, a conference centre type hotel with camping on site, marquees for the evening if it rains and a massive dining room for breakfast.

I went to the German event at Bad Gogging a few years back which was of a similar format and again was a great success.

A plus point for the Register with this type of set up is people attending will have paid for their rooms in advance, which means ofcourse thr organisers know exactly how many will be attending for the weekend at least a month in advance and day visitors will be a bonus. This is totally different from a showground where you have to hope the attendance on the day will cover the substantial upfront cost of the venue.

George 

Thanks for your views. We will continue to explore the options. If anyone knows of a suitable large hotel with on site camping facilities then please let me know.

The Fire Service College is one we have looked at before. Not perfect but has many positive attributes.

Mick