ULEZ - not the rant you might be expecting!

25 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Just realised the ULEZ expansion includes Heathrow airport. Could be a surprise to many holidaymakers.

Keith

Hi Keith

very few people drive into LHR as it costs money just to think about doing it.

All airports treat cars as money spinners

Roger

Picked up our daughter and fiancé three weeks ago off their flight from Melbourne into Heathrow t4 and took them back a couple of days ago. Fairly straightforward (apart from the traffic on the M25 and roadworks on the A3) - £9.50 in the short term car park for our ~45 minutes each time. Our main car is ULEZ exempt I think, but another £25 for the two trips would be a pain if it wasn't.

' The 2022 Annual CAZ report published by Bath & North East Somerset Council notes that compared with 2019, there has been a 26% reduction in annual mean nitrogen dioxide (NO2) within the zone, representing an average reduction of 8.5 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3).

In the urban area outside the zone, there has been a 27% reduction in annual mean NO2 concentrations (an average reduction of 7.1 μg/m3) with nine fewer sites exceeding the legal limit of 40 μg/m3 falling from 10 sites in 2019 to one site in 2022.

The figures also indicate an additional reduction of 6% in annual mean NO2 concentrations in 2022 compared with 2021, as well as a reduction of 7% within the CAZ boundary.

This data indicates air quality has improved both within the CAZ and the areas which immediately surround it, with indications, too, of improvements to air quality across the wider B&NES area as well.'

I posted that on Friday.   To me it shows the CAZ is doing nothing - it ought to show a far greater reduction than the uncontrolled areas outside.  

Edited by RobH
On 8/27/2023 at 9:26 AM, acaie said:

' The 2022 Annual CAZ report published by Bath & North East Somerset Council notes that compared with 2019, there has been a 26% reduction in annual mean nitrogen dioxide (NO2) within the zone, representing an average reduction of 8.5 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3).

In the urban area outside the zone, there has been a 27% reduction in annual mean NO2 concentrations (an average reduction of 7.1 μg/m3) with nine fewer sites exceeding the legal limit of 40 μg/m3 falling from 10 sites in 2019 to one site in 2022.

The figures also indicate an additional reduction of 6% in annual mean NO2 concentrations in 2022 compared with 2021, as well as a reduction of 7% within the CAZ boundary.

This data indicates air quality has improved both within the CAZ and the areas which immediately surround it, with indications, too, of improvements to air quality across the wider B&NES area as well.'

Did they take into account the Covid influence?

during Covid all areas in the uk witnessed reduced nox 

and few areas have fully returned to pre Covid traffic numbers with the working from home numbers significantly greater than pre Covid times. 

I remember driving through London years ago when the congestion charge first came in. Several times, while leaving the zone, I spotted people jumping out of their cars at traffic lights to peel off the masking tape they had used to cover up their number plates. Apparently the fine for not having number plates was quite a bit less than the fine for not paying the congestion charge.

I read today that people have started to vandalize cameras in the new zone extension.
I can’t really condone criminal activity, but there comes a time when people say “Enough is enough”.

Charlie.

Here in Hillingdon I have seen one camera covered with spray string (not very successfully).

On a local FaceBook post one chap will be removing his number plates and sticking the number on paper in front/rear screens.

I have heard of one camera post being cut down.

Civil insurrection 

Roger

Long may it continue until khan recognises people have had enough of in effect having their freedom of movement curtailed on the basis of the ability to pay yet another tax.

Interesting he made the comment that in a few years the expected revenue from the current scheme will be much reduced. After spending a fortune implementing it, what next pay/mile and I bet that will be anything on wheels including classic cars.

If there is no back lash now then every council in the land will be jumping on the band wagon of course councillors and MP's will no doubt be exempt!

Damned by their own report then. 71% fewer 'bad' vehicles entering the zone but the air quality is no better than the area outside. 

At least in Bath they don't charge private vehicles though - only commercials, busses and larger vehicles. . 

Great news for the BamBam Klub anti-ULEZ folks today - over 600 cameras destroyed (and counting) 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/london-ulez-camera-tory-mp-vandalism-police-iain-duncan-smith-b1103720.html

It's the cynicism of the thing that gets me. Effectively what Khan is saying is   "I think your car is killing people but pay me £12.50 a day and I'll let you carry on doing it." 

If there really was a problem then the only ethical solution would be an outright ban, but of course that generates no revenue....... 

Edited by RobH
9 hours ago, RobH said:

It's the cynicism of the thing that gets me. Effectively what Khan is saying is   "I think your car is killing people but pay me £12.50 a day and I'll let you carry on doing it." 

If there really was a problem then the only ethical solution would be an outright ban, but of course that generates no revenue....... 

On the nail!

cheers Rich

13 hours ago, RobH said:

Spot on Rob, I was only making exact same point to friends over dinner yesterday! Just an extra tax!

Hi Folks,

our cynicism does  us proud (me certainly)  but now look at it  from the other direction.

Many cities around our stinking globe have serious air quality issues. Nobody has come up with 'the' answer. 

Athens tried it a couple of years back and used odd / even number plates to limit the traffic.

Ghengis needs transport within London but clearly is not happy with the transport he has.

So he imposes a charge/fine/cost on drivers and hopes they will come up with the answer.

He is still charging to kill people (4000/annum apparently) which surly can't be right.

Roger

16 minutes ago, RogerH said:

He is still charging to kill people (4000/annum apparently) which surly can't be right.

No it isn't right. The reality is that no-one really knows for sure. That number is a statistically derived estimate of the number of people who have fatal medical conditions which may be worsened by pollution and who may therefore die prematurely.  Nothing can be proven. 

8 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

An unpopular solution to a self limiting problem.

The non-compliant cars are by their nature ageing and diminishing in numbers.

So why go to all this effort install enforcement cameras?

As a warm up for Charge/mile for anything on four wheels including electric. How else will the politicians local or national plug the gap from the loss of fuel duty and road tax?

The greener solution is to keep the "old cars" on the road for as long as possible. But hey there's no profit in that!

The cost of installation and no doubt the dividends to the third party contractors have also got to be paid - Its a "gravy train" boys all on board.

Andy

21 hours ago, RobH said:

No it isn't right. The reality is that no-one really knows for sure. That number is a statistically derived estimate of the number of people who have fatal medical conditions which may be worsened by pollution and who may therefore die prematurely.  Nothing can be proven. 

Just like smoking then.

Not sure if you will be able to see this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175791075920492/permalink/2603749043124671/

and this:

IMG_2688.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH

This is interesting. The authorised ULEZ sign is the drawing on the left.

The signs erected are like the photo on the right, which does not comply.  

ulz.jpg.35f231a76256e5db93c6f350c66dfca9.jpg1693859703734.jpg.b87d7434c3aeb1a865eb9f4a099c5e27.jpg

It would appear the signage used is incorrect. I wonder whether it can be challenged in court ?

https://assets.dft.gov.uk/trafficauths/case-4557.pdf

Edited by RobH

Side step here.

My Honda lawn mower is Euro 2 compliant.

What is the compliance level of all the park equipment( mowers, tractors, strimmers, etc. the boroughs have?   Will that trigger a further theft from Khan?  

Going after the easy targets is the trick.  

No one is chasing the lorries with diesel power auxiliary power units that drive refrigerators or cement turning drums.   These of course will probably run on agricultural red diesel which is untaxed, as they are not being used as a form of road power which would contravene vehicle excise regs.
 And diesel powered river transport?

And air transport?   And all the off road diesel transport at the airports probably running red diesel?

I see the logic of the mayor backing a plan for rail link from S. London to LHR.   Get the infrastructure in place for the enormous housing estate it will become when Boris Island is re-discovered and the airport is re located….

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 weeks later...

……and in the ring tonight is pi55 taker no 1   Trip allegedly paid for by ULEZ fines 

Flying to a conference on emissions and climate change

Sadiq Khan flies to New York for global climate summit https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66820972

ULEZ is not about climate change, it’s about air quality so maybe he’s not being quite such a hypocrite.  When I next venture into London though it will be in my high CO2 and climate changing but ULEZ compliant 2006 petrol car and not my low CO2 diesel.

Rgds Ian