ULEZ - not the rant you might be expecting!

46 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Derek,

all of the greater London area gets to vote.

But the inner area has a social poorer structure with far more immigrants that tend to follow  what Ghengis says and does.

Not sure how the voting wards are designed - it may be that Inner London has a bias.

Roger

There lies the problem. 

I'm not fancying your chances of success with Greater London soon becoming more of a state within a state as the population dynamic changes.

Andy    

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

There lies the problem. 

I'm not fancying your chances of success with Greater London soon becoming more of a state within a state as the population dynamic changes.

Andy    

How has our indigenous population allowed this to happen that immigrants with a totally different social ethic have taken over our Capital City?

it is absolutely appalling that this has happened in my home town….!!!

Edited by SuzanneH
23 hours ago, RobH said:

Does that actually work?  I thought TfL used the  original manufacuturer's specification data for emissions based on date of registration.  Can you actually register an individual altered vehicle spec ? 

My brother mentioned he'd done this when warning me about the situation next time I pay a visit. From TFL's web site:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Retrofit your vehicle

Check your vehicle to see if it meets the LEZ emissions standards. If it doesn't, you may be able to retrofit your vehicle with emissions reduction technology.

Emissions reduction technology

Emissions reduction technologies include:

• Selective catalytic reduction, which reduces NOx emissions
  • Replacement Euro VI engines
  • Converting a vehicle to electric power

------------------------------------------------------------------

He said he'd found a company which had "put a Cat in his exhaust, welded it up, done a really nice job and it was now certified."

Cheers, Richard

6 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

How has our indigenous population allowed this to happen that immigrants with a totally different social ethic have taken over our Capital City?

it is absolutely appalling that this has happened in my home town….!!!

Hi Sue

Because we are seen as the soft touch nation of the world where work is despised and the hand outs are free, and your local woke social workers ensure they get it. While the legal system is now so skewed in their favour with the politicians refusing to introduce draconian laws to ensure it dissuades the free loaders along with stopping the water taxi service to help them get here.

The indigenous population are voting with their feet and moving out from areas that are no longer seen as a cultural home for them and there two kids as they want no part of the cultural shift despite the propaganda saying otherwise.

Coming to a City or town near you sooner or later!

Andy

Edited by PodOne
16 hours ago, PodOne said:

Its simply a cash generation scheme to prop up a corrupt woke council which I'm sure all the other political self serving councils up and down the land will be looking at implementing to steal as much money as they can from folk. While the actual technology is run by third party contractors who no doubt will have greased a few palms to act for the council for a percentage of the spoils.

So when they have forced off the road all the "nasty cars" and no-one is wanting to work in these so called vibrant city centres which will become deserts then yes no one will be dying of so called air pollution related disease because they won't be there. The often totted out death rates I suspect are satirically massaged figures - The truth is the air has never since the 1950's being as clean. Plus when the first round of dirty cars have gone next will be any petrol/diesel followed by electric to pay for all that extra pollution used to generate the electric in the first place and dispose of the mountain of lithium batteries which they can always burn without too much bother.

Me I won't be paying if I'm ever put in the position to or visit places where it applies now. They can't jail everyone but then I suppose we could be housed in hotels,  more fashionable tents or even a house boat with a sea view!

This country has gone to the dogs and a soft touch for every lunatic that gets their hands on the levers of power - where are all the true inspirational politicians and leaders gone with common sense and judgement? No doubt hiding as they are too frightened and gagged by the establishment in fear of the woke minority who have quietly with media support taken over key areas so they can inflict their half baked ideology. The main stream parties don't want now you unless you fulfil the current warped woke agenda! 

That's why the silent working majority have little to vote for and why Khan and his ilk are doing what they are doing. Time for a change I think.

Andy

Oh how true your comments are Andy. A broken Country that upsets me every day. Run by useless, often corrupt & cheating politicians, woeful Mayors & the like. I am so glad my age meant I was born just after the war, my youth being in the wonderful 60’s with its great music etc. The UK is in a mess & there appear to be no more great leaders to save it.

2 minutes ago, Misfit said:
On 7/29/2023 at 4:47 PM, SuzanneH said:

Start all over again.:o

IMG_2519.jpeg

Expand  

Immigrants and indigenous. Born in Devon, with a Welsh Father American Grandfather and Devon Dartmouth farmer girl Grandmother on his side and a Londoner mother and Grandfather born in Whitechapel to a Spanish immigrant on hers, as a 57 Heinz variety child you may not be surprised I don’t believe it’s where you originated from matters. It’s your ethics, work values, and that, initially I believe comes from your family and then from your schooling. 

Born not long after the war, there were shortages but opportunities, things to build on and if you had initiative and goals you could achieve anything. Now we seem to stifle initiative replace them with rules and regulations. 

You have rights and it’s someone else’s responsibility. That’s encouraged in our schools our courts and in the media. 

The trouble with imposed rights they can be removed along with your liberty. No longer do we reason or ask questions we are told what to believe force fed a view and are chastised if we have an alternative. The days of a grammar school daughters of a greengrocer or a grammar school son of a circus act seem to have gone, where we were told to challenge and that values matter,  that no longer seems to exist. 

Remember Covid, travel restrictions, masks, isolation, schools closed businesses closed, prediction made by so called highly educated scientists vastly over egged. 

Following scientists calculated forecasts the American president is calling for changes here and across the world, here in the UK our Government had stopped fracking while America has increased theirs to highest levels ever and supplying us gas 1000’s of miles away, here drilling licenses withheld for oil while USA are pumping as before

Here we pay close close to £7.00 a gallon for fuel while USA fuel prices is  $3.50 a gallon  significantly lower even taking into account the 10% difference in volume. Our electric prices are 23% higher here, financially we are crippling our country while others China India and the USA amongst others are ignoring it and flourishing. 

Why do we do this? It’s based on  scientist models forecast.  Yet 40 years ago while in Turkey in the green forest hotel with temperatures in excess of 40 degrees we were evacuated because of a forest fire. 20 years ago in Spain we had temperatures then in excess of 40 degrees with ground fires locally, and there wasn’t a mention from the media. Back in the 1800 when the black stuff ran trains industry and homes the Thames froze on numerous occasions and again in 1963. In my time I recall when we use to have those walking around with plaques saying the end is nigh, then they were cranks now there experts.  

It will all be better with a change of Government, yep let’s close down schools longer and extend lock down further.  Their nuclear record has proved outstanding and on the NHS,  look at all the hospitals we lease at three time the cost of building them. On Blair’s revised doctors contract. Truth you can rely on them for that too. Then giving responsibility to unelected quangos, passing responsibility for interest rates to the Bank of England another unelected body.  Remember No more boom and bust, perhaps just Bust. The selling of our gold reserves when it was rock bottom, and in 2016 proudly stating there is no money left. If you believe they’re  the answer with the like of the current opposition and Mr flip flop himself, who previous employment required those in it, to argue a case whether they believe it or not. If you think they are the solution perhaps you need your bumps tested.  That said will they be worse? Is the same enough?

If Co2 is the problem and what’s been stated is correct, I find it incredibly that there are those elected by their constituents cutting down wide area of trees to build wind farms in Scotland.

I’m sure plants need Co2 to grow and produce oxygen, the more Co2 the more plants grow the more oxygen they produce and if my memory serves me well, our current level of Co2 is a lot lower than it has been in the past.

Clearly I’m not an expert and I’m sure I’ll be corrected by those apparently better educated than me, by the academics.  I believe it’s not all down to our Co2 production level.  I find hard to accept cancelling out the relatively small percentage of Co2 we produce here, will make the difference just cripple us as a country, that quantity of life for those in the future is paramount, it’s also quality and currently that seem to be eroded. My life has been extraordinary, I only hope that for those coming into this world now they have the same chances and experiences I have had, and that those reportedly managing the countries do considerably better than what’s available right now. That’s my thought rant over for now.

Edited by Misfit
15 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Immigrants and indigenous. Born in Devon, with a Welsh Father American Grandfather and Devon Dartmouth farmer girl Grandmother on his side and a Londoner mother and Grandfather born in Whitechapel to a Spanish immigrant on hers, as a 57 Heinz variety child you may not be surprised I don’t believe it’s where you originated from matters. It’s your ethics, work values, and that, initially I believe comes from your family and then from your schooling. 

Born not long after the war, there were shortages but opportunities, things to build on and if you had initiative and goals you could achieve anything. Now we seem to stifle initiative replace them with rules and regulations. 

You have rights and it’s someone else’s responsibility. That’s encouraged in our schools our courts and in the media. 

The trouble with imposed rights they can be removed along with your liberty. No longer do we reason or ask questions we are told what to believe force fed a view and are chastised if we have an alternative. The days of a grammar school daughters of a greengrocer or a grammar school son of a circus act seem to have gone, where we were told to challenge and that values matter,  that no longer seems to exist. 

Remember Covid, travel restrictions, masks, isolation, schools closed businesses closed, prediction made by so called highly educated scientists vastly over egged. 

Following scientists calculated forecasts the American president is calling for changes here and across the world, here in the UK our Government had stopped fracking while America has increased theirs to highest levels ever and supplying us gas 1000’s of miles away, here drilling licenses withheld for oil while USA are pumping as before

Here we pay close close to £7.00 a gallon for fuel while USA fuel prices is  $3.50 a gallon  significantly lower even taking into account the 10% difference in volume. Our electric prices are 23% higher here, financially we are crippling our country while others China India and the USA amongst others are ignoring it and flourishing. 

Why do we do this? It’s based on  scientist models forecast.  Yet 40 years ago while in Turkey in the green forest hotel with temperatures in excess of 40 degrees we were evacuated because of a forest fire. 20 years ago in Spain we had temperatures then in excess of 40 degrees with ground fires locally, and there wasn’t a mention from the media. Back in the 1800 when the black stuff ran trains industry and homes the Thames froze on numerous occasions and again in 1963. In my time I recall when we use to have those walking around with plaques saying the end is nigh, then they were cranks now there experts.  

It will all be better with a change of Government, yep let’s close down schools longer and extend lock down further.  Their nuclear record has proved outstanding and on the NHS,  look at all the hospitals we lease at three time the cost of building them. On Blair’s revised doctors contract. Truth you can rely on them for that too. Then giving responsibility to unelected quangos, passing responsibility for interest rates to the Bank of England another unelected body.  Remember No more boom and bust, perhaps just Bust. The selling of our gold reserves when it was rock bottom, and in 2016 proudly stating there is no money left. If you believe they’re  the answer with the like of the current opposition and Mr flip flop himself, who previous employment required those in it, to argue a case whether they believe it or not. If you think they are the solution perhaps you need your bumps tested.  That said will they be worse? Is the same enough?

If Co2 is the problem and what’s been stated is correct, I find it incredibly that there are those elected by their constituents cutting down wide area of trees to build wind farms in Scotland.

I’m sure plants need Co2 to grow and produce oxygen, the more Co2 the more plants grow the more oxygen they produce and if my memory serves me well, our current level of Co2 is a lot lower than it has been in the past.

Clearly I’m not an expert and I’m sure I’ll be corrected by those apparently better educated than me, by the academics.  I believe it’s not all down to our Co2 production level.  I find hard to accept cancelling out the relatively small percentage of Co2 we produce here, will make the difference just cripple us as a country, that quantity of life for those in the future is paramount, it’s also quality and currently that seem to be eroded. My life has been extraordinary, I only hope that for those coming into this world now they have the same chances and experiences I have had, and that those reportedly managing the countries do considerably better than what’s available right now. That’s my thought rant over for now.

Now that you have got that off of your chest Derek, I hope you feel better. I have to say I agree with most of it.

Some of the comments on here are bordering on racism, keep it clean. ULEZ is being implemented with the best of intentions but maybe not in the right way. Perhaps some of the vitriolic commentators could come up with good practical ideas for reducing NOx radically in the short term, or perhaps they are happy poisoning local communities.

The ULEX rules are not as bad as they appear. For example I have a 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. £35 a year to tax and its ULEZ compliant. There are many petrol/diesel cars about that are compliant and cheap to buy, you dont have to go electric.

Ah, I wondered how long it would be before someone played the R card. No Phil, nothing here is bordering on racism. It is a plain and simple fact that the 'native' English are now a minority in several major city centres and that the incoming population largely has different cultural beliefs and practices to those hitherto regarded as the norm.  It is not racist to express regret that your own culture and beliefs are being ousted; not everyone feels 'enriched by the diversity' when they may have been disadvantaged by it.  

I think it naive to believe that ULEZ is purely altruistic. These people are politicians, all of whom have agendas underlying their actions. As has been pointed out, the air in London is cleaner now than it has been for many decades, though that does not mean it cannot be made cleaner. However, not all agree on the problem and there is questioning by some medical practitioners whether current NOx limits are supported by the evidence:

"Several German pulmonary physicians question the current nitrogen oxide and particulate matter limits. These are inadequate and mainly based on questionable epidemiological studies, they say".

"In their practices and clinics, pulmonary physicians see [deaths caused by cigarette smoke] on a daily basis; however, deaths caused by particulate matter and NOx, even after careful investigation, never," 

https://www.dw.com/en/nitrogen-oxide-is-it-really-that-dangerous-lung-doctors-ask/a-47202076

ULEZ warning:

Like many of us in the Southeast, I went onto TFLs website to check our 50yr old TR 6. I put in the reg and was informed it is liable for BOTH charges.

As my wife has rare occasions(and they will become fare more rare for our 64 reg diesel Subaru now!) to go to Uxbridge/Hillingdon from our base in So. Bucks I have put both of our regular cars into their auto pay scheme. For a laugh, given it has told me the TR 6 is liable for ULEZ (which I knew was utter B.S.), so I added it at which time now they says it is exempt:

image.thumb.png.683a7530d69a53415d1b0b3f84ebb1f3.png

The moral of my warning is don't believe everything you see from them! I hope ALL taxpayers that can inside the M25 will elect people with brains at the next GE so Khanaroid can be disposed of!

PS> I must say I agree with a large amount of the commentors above in this thread as their sentiments mirror ours 100%

Edited by Steve-B

So the selfish person has scuppered the entire political party he claims to represent over his ego……

NOTE

If you intend to set up or use the ULEZ pay to drive app you need a password.  We who travel in the metropolis and run non compliant cars would be advised to do it unless you have a stunning memory.    It will be required to have upper and lower case letters plus numbers and be 8 characters long to create such a user id and account.

Do not fall in the hole I fell in and use a ‘character’ in your password, nor allow your device to create the password for you. The ill thought through ( as in not industry standard secure) app does not function with characters in the password but accepts them when you create an account.   Is that rubbish or what!   I have spent 1/2 hr of my life to get through to a tired and lifeless sounding person who reset the whole lot for me.  There is no way else to do this I was told.

5 hours ago, Phil Read said:

Some of the comments on here are bordering on racism, keep it clean. ULEZ is being implemented with the best of intentions but maybe not in the right way. Perhaps some of the vitriolic commentators could come up with good practical ideas for reducing NOx radically in the short term, or perhaps they are happy poisoning local communities.

The ULEX rules are not as bad as they appear. For example I have a 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. £35 a year to tax and its ULEZ compliant. There are many petrol/diesel cars about that are compliant and cheap to buy, you dont have to go electric.

Here's one Phil reduce the population.

Its nothing to do with race just a simple fact the county is full and has run out of capital resource with more cash going out than coming in hence the current and growing fiscal deficit and the accompanying economic mess this county is in in. This is at a time when successive governments have failed to implement a sound industrial policy not based on cheap labour. Now we are at the point where the man in the middle is being stripped of processions hence the back lash and discord. At some point it will lead to civil unrest as the incentive to work and fairly contribute becomes irrelevant.

ULEZ is nothing to do with air pollution just cash generation. Respiratory disease has aways being endemic and now more related to smoking, vaping added to pre-existing illnesses such as COPD/Asthma.  The figures are simply been manipulated for political gain. People are not bothered about the car being compliant or not its an unfair tax full stop and I would suggest restricts peoples freedom of movement based on the ability to pay added it now seems peoples ability to have free speech which has also quietly been removed with any opposition put down with the usual default of the r card followed by other woke bs.

Free Speech should work both ways if it isn't then there's trouble ahead eg Russia, China, North Korea, State of Greater London. Allowing City Mayors to in effect become independent thiefdoms and openly challenge central government is unsound and disruptive. That said the current government and the one to come will be no better. 

Andy

5 hours ago, RobH said:

Ah, I wondered how long it would be before someone played the R card. No Phil, nothing here is bordering on racism. It is a plain and simple fact that the 'native' English are now a minority in several major city centres and that the incoming population largely has different cultural beliefs and practices to those hitherto regarded as the norm.  It is not racist to express regret that your own culture and beliefs are being ousted; not everyone feels 'enriched by the diversity' when they may have been disadvantaged by it.

What the hell is native English. The UK has been a recipient of immegrants for the past 1000 years or more, thats what makes the country great. Our problem is the thick natives voting for incompetemt, corrupt polititions at national and local level. How many voters did their research in the Brexit vote? How many tories voted for Liz Truss? Dont moan about the country being in the doo doo. You like me have the chance to vote and make a difference but like lemmings we vote for those with the biggest gobs. I live in the village I was born in, the same village my great grandfather moved to in the 1890s Its changed beyond belief, yes because of immegrants, all white British who have sold their expenive properties in London, Leeds etc and invaded the countryside, this disadvantages the locals re house prices etc. You see we all have an axe to grind and someone else to blame.

35 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

What the hell is native English. The UK has been a recipient of immegrants for the past 1000 years or more, thats what makes the country great.

All true but where was that immigration from? Almost all Western European peoples with very similar religious beliefs, culture and values not completely different ones poles apart - resulting poor integration. Oil and water don't mix well and move away from each other.  

Agree the current crop of politicians are a worthless bunch of wasters not worth voting for. A lot of people I suspect are awaiting someone that talks sense. That some one may sadly never come.

Ask yourself why have the white immigrants invaded your village. Is it perhaps they felt like immigrants in their own towns and cities such as London or Leeds having suffered an invasion? Perhaps if they didn't they would have stayed put and being happy. I do agree that locals are been priced out by such people movement but then if we didn't have the internal population pressure the movement would be manageable like in the 1890's and your village would feel to the remaining residents like home and retain its character

I was planning to retire to a village for the above reasons but have being priced out of some due to what you describe as my area population dynamic has also changed massively over the past 20 years. The local school is a case in point with many local families moving away as it's not reflective of their cultural values so we are past the tipping point. So I maybe stuck or have to work a bit longer but I will be moving to where we feel comfortable with a local pub etc, ours have gone. All converted into restaurants as there wasn't enough of the traditional clientele to keep them viable even with pub food on offer.

My point of view is that as a nation we have gone beyond what immigration we can reasonably absorb without it resulting in the near total loss of our own culture and values which brings with it greater risks. Its a fools game for those who think we can.

Andy has summed it up for me.

We as a nation have brought in refugees/immigrants from every nation for their safety and well being  and quite rightly so.

But instead of spreading them around/through the UK the Gov't has allowed ghettos to be formed. And in doing so the indigenous population move out (for whatever reasons)

So, my dream of a Cornish idyll will only ever be a dream  because I have been out priced by my peers abandoning the ship

Roger

On 7/31/2023 at 2:09 PM, Phil Read said:

??????????????????? more than 40yo

I amended my post to 1973 because I could not enter any vehicle registration made after 1st January 1973 that was exempt. I looked at Mike Ellis way of finding out and the instructions were to scan the V5 and other documents, OK if you are a frequent visitor but not very practical on an ad hoc basis. Seeing as I will never return to Greater London I'm not that bothered.

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

Andy has summed it up for me.

We as a nation have brought in refugees/immigrants from every nation for their safety and well being  and quite rightly so.

But instead of spreading them around/through the UK the Gov't has allowed ghettos to be formed. And in doing so the indigenous population move out (for whatever reasons)

So, my dream of a Cornish idyll will only ever be a dream  because I have been out priced by my peers abandoning the ship

Roger

Having lived in three countries and worked in many others I can confirm that Europeans and in particular Brits also form "ghettos" where ever they may be. Having been to tourist areas France, Spain and Cyprus recently I have been very dissapointed in the food, fish and chips, steak and chips etc it seems we Brits have also changed their food cultures. I won't go on about raping half the world during a 400 year period and GB getting rich of the graft of peasants not to mention forcing Christianity on the world, there have been books written on the issue. Sure there is a major problem with illegal immegrants, but some of these are genuine refugees having to use the channel boats as our governmnt have failed in processing genuine refugees. In 2017/18 I did a couple of missions to Kabul, Aghanistan. the Afghans were very proud of their nation and the progress they had made in the 20 year period international forces were there. I was disgusted when they all pulled out. Most of the people I worked with are probably dead, particularly the women. I hope some managed to make it here across the channel. I also hope that if Russia expands its war and starts lobbing missiles at us there will be countries that are willing to accept British refugees/immegarnts. The point I am trying to make is that the world is changing fast for all, and to moan about losing a culture which for some prabably reminisces back to the 1950s, 60s is pretty parochial attitude.

I agree with that Phil. We are a nation of immigrants going back thousands of years. Waves of Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Flemings, Huguenots, Irish, Russians, Polish, Caribbean, Asians, just to name the big ones. The only difference is when the waves happened and how they arrived: with weapons or suitcases. They all had a dramatic impact on the resident population and it took them time to blend in. 

I am proud of our history of accepting refugees. The only bit I am not proud of was the resistance to take Jewish refugees from Poland and Germany during the early/mid 1930s. Like many countries the UK was wiped up into an anti-immigration frenzy by the right wing press claiming all sorts of nonsense. Have we learned nothing from history?

I also have lived in other countries around the world and tried my best to avoid the British ex-pat ghettos. They are horrendous; the worst of British behaviour. I met a family who had lived outside the UK for 20 years, the parents could not speak a word of the local language but the kids were fluent; it takes time to integrate.

Mick

A few points …..

You forget that most of the European countries “raped” half the world . Do I need to elaborate on that ?

Most  religions at one time have been forced on the world …..not just Christianity . 

Thick natives ….nice insult to the people who vote and to those who fought to get the vote for all . 

Brexit…..done and dusted . Accept the result and move on . Democratic county ….remember 

ULEZ is nothing but a money making scheme 

Geez I thought I was a grumpy old man, I see now I am just a beginner but I do find racist comments unsupportable especially being an immigrant myself. I always giggle to myself when British people living in foreign climes describe themselves as expats but people of other nationalities living in the UK are always immigrants.