Current Price of Fuel

Our roads are unused and very frozen out here in the country. I will have a look in the middle of the day if conditions improve.That is if the VW door will open and is not frozen closed.. There is a plastic sheet over the windscreen. It looks as if the sun is trying to fight off the clouds. :(

Richard & B

It's rather more expensive round here so I bought diesel on Monday down at the coast since I was there  - the v power stuff not the cooking variety - at £1.92

Yer being robbed!

Fuel is currently subsidised by 10 centimes here (it was 30) paid for by tax on super profits of the fuel companies

Local prices here in our village, they are less closer to the refineries:

Diesel 1.739 € = about £1.50

Premium 95 1.669 € = £1.44

Super 98. 1.749 € =  £1.51

james

Edited by james christie

Diesel £1.86 Petrol £1.68 round here :( And thats supermarkets

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I checked our local village garage today in Ringmer Sussex BN8 The diesel, which I need for my VW Passat, is £1.99 per litre. There is another small garage and I will have a look tomorrow.

When I first had the TR regular fuel was 4 gallons for £1.00 which lasted for a 55 mile drive to London on Monday and all week in the SW area, and a top up on Friday for the drive home.

Petrol is  not the only thing to be more expensive. !!

Richard & B

What I don't understand with the supermarkets is the variability between their own stores. There are two Sainsbury's about 8 miles apart and there is a 4p/litre difference for both petrol and diesel and this differentiation seems to be maintained throughout the year.

The only difference is one store is in a more affluent area which make me suspicious of their motives.

9 hours ago, PodOne said:

The only difference is one store is in a more affluent area which make me suspicious of their motives.

You mean they might be maximising their profits ahead of providing a service to the public?  Shock horror.

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

You mean they might be maximising their profits ahead of providing a service to the public?  Shock horror.

They do seem to act as a cartel though, despite denials.  Strange that all the outlets in an area can hold their prices higher. Where I live is particularly expensive but my daily driver has 700 miles range so I can afford to hold off from filling up locally, and do it when I am in a cheaper area.  Their loss. 

As this points out though, it isn't necessarily the outlets doing it - it's the wholesalers:

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1622329/cheap-petrol-fuel-prices-diesel-price-BP-Shell-profits-cheaper-petrol

Edited by RobH

Tesco Carlisle today E10 for 146.9p, E5 for 153.9p and Diesel 171.9. They dont sell premium diesel not that it bothers me as I dont have a diesel car or van. The E5 suits all of our cars including of course the TR6

Derek

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Shell E10 £1.40 today at Trago, 1/2 mile queues  

So if one Shell garage can do it and presumably still make a profit begs why? Greed perhaps dressed up as demand v supply. 

If the government had any intent in helping everybody's pain at the moment while helping business that they covert so much to stay viable, then they would set the % profit margin after all its not a fair market anyway with Opec pulling the strings. But when the dependence ends you can't grow food in the desert and that imported food costs money, lots of it when your population is bigger than the oasis can support!

Anyway what irks me is that our own mineral/oil rights were sold off under one feet to the highest bidder who exploited them and now sells it on the open market which we have to buy back at at full cost! The so called oil/gas tax dividend has effectively been wasted for 50 years and we are falling further down the prosperity scale. Not long now to third world status. When if the governments of all colours had thought long term we would not be in the current situation. After all it was not going anywhere left in the ground until needed on better terms. 

But since when as any government since Cromwell ruled in the interest of the people living on this island. 

Off topic I know but hell its cold outside.

Andy

56 minutes ago, RobH said:

It isn't necessarily the retailer at fault Andy. Read my link above. 

Ok Rob so why not regulate the wholesalers % profit/L they are allowed to make on each delivery? It seems the game is known by government or have certain politicians a vested interest!

I'm afraid I'm just cynical. Worse case nationalise the wholesalers if they won't play fair at present we are being exploited.

15 minutes ago, PodOne said:

have certain politicians a vested interest!

I'm afraid they all have - or at least all those who voted for "net zero" (which is most of the fools).  The ultimate political object is to stop us using oil, so they really aren't worried if the prices rise; not least because the tax-take rises in proportion anyway.