The weather has changed and I am out in  the garage looking for my Bluecol. Will I be safe to use rain water or do I need to get out to Tesco and buy special water ? If  I use 50% water how much would be correct. 

I can not find the WSM so it is back to the forum. 

Please help Richard & B

Make sure your rainwater is clean

But why not use tap water, which will be clean?  The TR won't object to the very small amount of chlorine which the water board adds for your safety.

Ian Cornish

The problem with tap water isn't chlorine - it's the dissolved 'chalk' in hard water areas as that will deposit out in the waterways. 

No dehumidifier here but we do have a rainwater tank in  the garden, currently frozen. I could bring some ice into the house. That would give me clean pure water tomorrow.

I will hunt for a  filtered funnel at lunchtime.  

Thanks Richard & B

Sunny and 27 degC here!

Rob - although the dissolved limestone in hard tap water will get deposited inside the engine, one needs only about a gallon of water to mix with the anti-freeze, and that water will remain in the engine for a couple of years.  The amount of limestone in a single fill is therefore insignificant.

When folk used to put tapwater in the engine throughout the warmer months, and kept topping up with tapwater, engines used to get corroded and furred-up in hard water areas, just like the kettle.  Nowadays, sensible folk use an anti-freeze mixture all year round, and that inhibits corrosion.  After a couple of years, an anti-freeze mixture should pour out of the engine as a clean stream of liquid.

Ian Cornish

I don't think you realise just how much calcium there is in the water some areas Ian.  If I rinse drinking glasses under the tap and just leave them to dry, there are white patches left where each water drop has evaporated. It's greater than 300mg/litre here so a gallon could contain >1.5 grammes of it.  If you change the coolant every two years as you are supposed to, over 20 years  that will be 15 grammes of salts deposited in your engine. 

23 minutes ago, RobH said:

I don't think you realise just how much calcium there is in the water some areas Ian.  If I rinse drinking glasses under the tap and just leave them to dry, there are white patches left where each water drop has evaporated. It's greater than 300mg/litre here so a gallon could contain >1.5 grammes of it.  If you change the coolant every two years as you are supposed to, over 20 years  that will be 15 grammes of salts deposited in your engine. 

I agree with Rob calcium is a problem in some areas. In this area if you rinse a car off with untreated tap water and leather it down it is covered with white patches. Emersion tanks fill up with high level of calcium. It can be a major problem unless you treat the tap water. As for car coolant is concerned I don't take any chances and use deionised water.

Dave