I more than doubled the total capacity of my water butts this year but it was still insufficient with the very hot dry summer!

I realised at the weekend when it was raining, that I could hear the tinkling of water at the 210 litre butt by the side door of the garage, so on Monday I removed the lid and found inside a solid ice block which was almost the size of the inside of the butt - probably some 170 litres.

I suspect that when the weather was so cold for so long, the freezing of the contents might have split the plastic of the butt.  Shall investigate tomorrow.

Strangely, the paired 210 litre butts at the far rear corner of the garage seem not to have frozen in the same fashion, so I'm hoping that they have not split.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

I more than doubled the total capacity of my water butts this year but it was still insufficient with the very hot dry summer!

I realised at the weekend when it was raining, that I could hear the tinkling of water at the 210 litre butt by the side door of the garage, so on Monday I removed the lid and found inside a solid ice block which was almost the size of the inside of the butt - probably some 170 litres.

I suspect that when the weather was so cold for so long, the freezing of the contents might have split the plastic of the butt.  Shall investigate tomorrow.

Strangely, the paired 210 litre butts at the far rear corner of the garage seem not to have frozen in the same fashion, so I'm hoping that they have not split.

Ian Cornish

My garage butt split/cracked so brother and I plastic welded it with slithers of plastic cut from the lid opening as filler rod applied with a soldering iron.   Went over the repair with the hot glue gun.

Jobs a good’n