My son ,who lives down in Devon, has a carport with a room over. The floor is timber boards on 8" x 2" joist which are open to the air, damp in Devon. We are planning 6" of Celotexor something similar  between the joists and need some advice on a board to fix to the car port ceiling.  Plasterboard would not be resistant to the damp. Plywood will warp and split . There must be a useful board that will cope.

Any advice would be helpful before we get it wrong ?

Richard & B

Earlier this year I bought moisture resistant MDF sheet (2440 x 1220 x 12) from Travis Perkins in order to make an awkward-shaped cover for the cold water tank in the loft (it's jammed into the space and the plastic cover didn't fit).  The sheet cost me about £30, and I had to cut it into 3 in order to get it into my Citroen estate.

As extra protection, I painted the MDF once I had cut it to shape.

I cannot say how resistant this board really is, but worth Googling for more info.

Ian Cornish

How about cement/fibre board like this?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Construction-Board-1200-x-800-x-12mm/p/225437

I know a local builder who always recommends this as a backing for tiles in shower enclosures.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

My son ,who lives down in Devon, has a carport with a room over. The floor is timber boards on 8" x 2" joist which are open to the air, damp in Devon. We are planning 6" of Celotexor something similar  between the joists and need some advice on a board to fix to the car port ceiling.  Plasterboard would not be resistant to the damp. Plywood will warp and split . There must be a useful board that will cope.

Any advice would be helpful before we get it wrong ?

Richard & B

It should be fire rated...........

Hi Richard,

'Marine ply' will withstand a fair amount of damp without protection.

You could paint both sides with intumenscent paint  Paint

That would give some degree of fire protection.  However as the joists and floor boards are not protected at present then why worry

Roger

I wonder if “Building Regs” come into the equation?

It’s possible that the car port was built when regulations were not so tight and the fact that the joists and boards were not fire retardant did not matter then.

If you now go and put boards underneath that don’t have some sort of “Fire rating” then you may have insurance problems if the worst happens.

I believe that plasterboard does offer some sort of fire protection, but as you say is not very good in the damp.

When I have done building work in the past (Loft conversion and extension and garage) I found that the council building inspectors were very helpful in their advice even when I told them I had no idea what I was doing.

Maybe worth asking them.

If you get it wrong then the insurance company will rub their hands with glee.

Charlie

Having done a few similar projects in the past, I would ask the local building control office. They will tell you what needs to be done and what materials are suitable.

As previously mentioned it could be very costly if you get it wrong.

The pink plasterboard has a 30 minute fire rating and is the one used for garage ceilings, I always understood that a good airflow was the best cure for damp, and you should have that with a carport, cheers, Andrew

Edited by AndrewMAshton

Fire risk has to be the biggest consideration. The latest guidance  is ADB1. Fire retardant insulation might be the answer.

Iain

4 hours ago, ntc said:

I hope the wrong advise you are getting does not come back to bite!! good luck Richard.

From that sentence it must mean that you KNOW that some of the advice here is wrong. and that you KNOW the answer.

Why not just explain your knowledge in more detail, rather than just saying that everyone else is wrong.

THAT would be far more helpful, don’t you think?

Charlie.

36 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

A google search of Tacfire just takes me to a firearms company in the USA :(

30 million guns were sold in USA in 2020. Google may reflect that popularity.   

===

Tacfire board looks to me to be a modern version of ICI ( as was) Saffil.  I knew its inventor, a self-taught scientist-engineer who was one of very few Fellows of Royal Society without a university education. Brilliant man:  https://www.rsc.org/prizes-funding/prizes/archives/materials-for-industry---derek-birchall-award/

Peter

2 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

very few Fellows of Royal Society without a university education.

Peter

believe me, a university education is no measure of intelligence or ingenuity - i should know i have a degree in Env Health and a post grad in acoustics !!!

and as Manuel in Fawlty Towers used to say

" i know nothing"

3 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

30 million guns were sold in USA in 2020. Google may reflect that popularity.   

===

Tacfire board looks to me to be a modern version of ICI ( as was) Saffil.  I knew its inventor, a self-taught scientist-engineer who was one of very few Fellows of Royal Society without a university education. Brilliant man:  https://www.rsc.org/prizes-funding/prizes/archives/materials-for-industry---derek-birchall-award/

Peter

You are correct Peter I will say no more 

13 hours ago, Hamish said:

believe me, a university education is no measure of intelligence or ingenuity - i should know i have a degree in Env Health and a post grad in acoustics !!!

and as Manuel in Fawlty Towers used to say

" i know nothing"

You and me too. Assuming we know all we need to know, or can know, is mistaken. Knowledge and understanding is a movable feast, always changing, My degrees form 50 years ago are now out-dated in almost every respect, but I wanted to 'understand' and that has stuck with me. With age comes the realisation that we do indeed "know nothing" about the fundamentals of what we  regard as reality. I find that exciting, lots to explore....

Peter

Possibly the most well known member of the Royal Society not to have had a formal education was Charles Mason, famous for discovering the Mason /Dixon line buried in the undergrowth in North America.

Not only was he a great astronomer, he also wrote poetry. Notably his autobiography, which he wrote in verse, part of which goes:

"They call me Charlie Mason

A stargazer am I.

It seems that I was born

To chart the evening sky.

They'd cut me out for baking bread,

But I had other dreams instead.

This baker's boy from the West Country

Would join the Royal Society."

A talented fellow indeed.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
5 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Possibly the most well known member of the Royal Society not to have had a formal education was Charles Mason, famous for discovering the Mason /Dixon line buried in the undergrowth in North America.

Not only was he a great astronomer, he also wrote poetry. Notably his autobiography, which he wrote in verse, part of which goes:

"They call me Charlie Mason

A stargazer am I.

It seems that I was born

To chart the evening sky.

They'd cut me out for baking bread,

But I had other dreams instead.

This baker's boy from the West Country

Would join the Royal Society."

A talented fellow indeed.

Charlie.

one of my favourite tracks, Mark Knopfler and James Taylor, includes this quote from Charlie Mason