Paint striper recommendations

I used to swear by the 'old' Nitromors in the green tin, just opening the can made your eyes water and get to close to the open tin and it would take your eyebrows off! never mind actually get any on your skin. But times have changed I know and 'things ain't wot they used to be' probably for the better ..........

but anybody got any recommendations for a paint stripper that actually works not just softens the surface a bit, got a boot lid to strip and its either DIY with the chemicals or of to the blasters.

Edited by Graham

The chemical in paint stripper that used to work so well has been banned for DIY use - presumably by the EU. You can still buy paint stripper that works, but you (should) have to declare that it's for professional use. My Nearest & Dearest tells me she uses Paramose in her antique furniture restoration business.

Cheers, Richard

When I needed to strip all the "new" US restored paint back to bare metal it broke my heart.

I considered paint stripper and the clean up, multiple applications, potential for injury and shear cost to strip a nice original car was excessive.

I got out my trusty hot air gun and scraper and set about it with caution. The results worked for me and I ended up with no damage or mess over than brush and pan cleanup. It was easy to then soda blast what remained to end up with a clean, rust free and protected surface ( left after Soda blast).

The trick is to be very careful and not keep in one place for too long. It was amazing to see the shear quantity of "Bondo" that the USA plasterer had applied coming off in strips. Given the dry weight of filler I measured I can only guess the weight of Bondo used by the body shop.

You need stones to use this method but it worked for me and no chemical burns or risk to eyes was the clincher.

I love the finish that soda blasting gives particularly on aluminium, I hate to see painted ally, flat naked alloy or highly polished is the way to go.

Do a Google for Offenhauser rocker cover to see what I mean.

BR

Rod

Starchem is the best I've found. It's usually available from automotive paint suppliers. I used it successfully to take my TR6 back to bare metal 6 years ago, then last year to strip my GT6.

Modern Nitromors has been reformulated to be safer. As a result, it can't remove car paint.

Nigel

Check the ingredients. The good stuff is methylene chloride based. Some States here in the US are banning it, at least for home use.

Ed

Methylene chloride is a powerful solvent and very effective as a paint remover . It will aslos often and disssolve a number of polymers (plastic)/ If you get it on you or in you (by breathing) it will demonstrate its power in nasty in skin contact, not at all good for you if inhaled,

Something weird happened and my post entered itself before I finished!! Now I find I can't can't edit it. Sorry for that

Methylene chloride is a powerful solvent and very effective as a paint remover . It will also soften and dissolve a number of polymers (plastics) some of which will be in your car. If you get it on you or in you (by inhalation) it will demonstrate its power quite effectively and do you some damage. Prolonged exposure will render the damage longlasting to permanent. I am not sure if it is currently considered a carcinogen as I no longer keep current on HSE legislation but it has been classified as such under some test regimes. IF you do use it you must follow all applicable safety instructions.

If using any chemical stripper, especially the gelled mixes you must take care to remove all traces before repainting, as even quite tiny amounts will eventually bubble your paint off.

Mike.

My boot lid had been sprayed with some high-build primer, that resisted every paint stripper I tried - this in the early 80s, when Nitromors worked on most paints. Left it while I did other things but a rag on it, that I'd used to mop up some brake fluid - paint came off with the rag, leaving the steel perfectly clean.

Pete