What spares would you take?

Peter most important thing to have is a recovery service in place ,plus the obvious service parts ,cable ties,some wire,small Jack ,petrol pipe,tape, assortment of tools, I am sure you can be the most prepared as possible but there is the possibility of anything breaking ,,where do you stop clutch spare diff etc

But you also have the Tr register members who can be a great help so the internet is a must.

Good luck

Nick

Everything is as it should be on my car with no worries, but what spares would you take on a tour or what spares proved to be invaluable for you on a tour?

Peter

Hi Peter, you have a pm.

Hi Peter,

I think the best advice I ever received on this matter was to only take what you feel confident about fixing your self at the side of the road. As I do not have a lot of mechanical knowledge, that limits the scope for me to quite a manageable amount of spares and tools.

Most important ... breakdown cover and fully charged phone (with the breakdown service providers numbers saved).

Tools:

Small imperial/metric socket set

Small range of spanners

Small range of screwdrivers

Pliers

Electric jack

Tyre inflator

Tools for removing wheels (I have knock ons)

Tyre valve core removal tool

Micro battery booster (fully charged up)

Multimeter

Crimping tool

A couple of those little gadgets to put on the end of a spark plug to see if it is firing

Spares

Coil

Distributor cap

Rotor arm

Spark plugs

2 Spare injectors

Alternator belt

Tyre valve cores

Spare wheel

Range of fuses

Electrical cable

Range of electrical connectors

Range of light bulbs

Range of jubilee clips

If I were going on a long journey abroad, I might take the spare fuel pump I have.

Useful consumables

Cable ties of various sizes

Duck tape

Self amalgamating tape

Strong glue

K-Seal

5 ltr can of water

I think that's about it.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Really helpful post Peter as I'm new to the TR club.

Darren, saved your list and will set about acquiring those you mention.

Thanks a million guys, the membership fee is well worth all the help, advice and information I'm getting here from true enthusiasts.

Best wishes

Mike

If you are a TR Register member, check out the website, spanners and spares, downloadable lists for PI and carb cars:-

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/past-issue/2015/08/0008/TR-Register-Spares-and-Spanners-Guide-for-longdistance-touring-preparation-PI-Cars

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/past-issue/2015/08/0007/TR-Register-Spares-and-Spanners-Guide-for-longdistance-touring-preparation-Carburettor-Cars

Breakdown recovery, credit cards and a mobile phone are a must. Usually other TR enthusiasts around with technical know how and their own spares they are willing to use to help out.

A copy of TR Action with all the GL contact details if you are in another group's area, always people willing to help.

Travelling abroad - overseas directory also available to download on the website

Good Luck

Ian

Edited by cvtrian

That's useful, thanks Ian. I'd not seen it before. Only one slight problem, the download for PI cars is actually for carburettor cars.

A couple of good points that the document makes is to carry and torch and warning triangle ... which I do. In addition, I also carry a flashing light, the type used by cyclists.

Darren

North London member Mike North has undertaken a considerable amount of travelling on the Continent in recent years, produced a most useful list some while ago - and this was published in TR Action.

I have taken the liberty of attaching Mike's list here.

In addition to torch and warning triangle, carry two reflective jackets and, at night in particular, keep them in the cockpit and put them on before exiting the car (this is mandatory in France).

Many years ago, I installed a Lucas after-market hazard warning kit in my car - that's another useful safety aid (see Section J9 of the Technicalities CD). Although the Lucas kit may no longer be available, equivalent items are.

Ian Cornish

LNK spares list 2.doc

Edited by ianc

My dad always told me that people who had a “GB” sticker on their car were just showing off to let other people know that they had “Gone ‘Broad”.

Many times I’ve not bothered with a “GB” sticker.

Two years ago we were fined 70 Euros in Italy for not having one…

So add that to the list if not already fitted.

(Only, of course, if you are “Going ‘Broad”)

Not sure about the law for breathalyzers, apparently there was a lot of controversy about it.

Partly brought about because the government minister who pressed for it to become law also used to own the only breathalyzer factory in France… (Or so I read.)

Charlie.

Thanks Ian

The list was part of a larger article which included JUMP LEADS, a Tow rope, 2.0L fire extinguisher to which I have now added a folding axle stand (brilliant) ! Breathalyzers no longer required I think but carried anyway just to keep them happy !

Also useful to know is how to bump start your car when you really only have one chance to get it right and also how to get your car to the side of the road and out of harms way just on the starter motor. Both easy enough you would think but alone (or worse with the wife!) in the dark and its raining is not the time to figure it out..........

Looking forward to 'Going Broad' very soon B)

Edited by North London Mike

Many thanks for the replies and Kev in particular. It makes me wonder if the reason why a breakdown occurs is the shear weight of spares and tools being transported just in case of a 'breakdown'!

On another topic how does one load 'TR register member' in blue with the logo beneath ones name?

Peter

Edited by Jomac

Peter,

If you are a member but the blue sign does not show up simply send a mail to the TR register.

I had the same, is was fixed the same day.

Waldi

Going back to the original question, which I get asked frequently, I now reply, half in jest "anything originally made by Lucas". It seems to cover most of the things you need.

Mick Forey

International Director

Hi Peter,

I think the best advice I ever received on this matter was to only take what you feel confident about fixing your self at the side of the road. As I do not have a lot of mechanical knowledge, that limits the scope for me to quite a manageable amount of spares and tools.

Most important ... breakdown cover and fully charged phone (with the breakdown service providers numbers saved).

Tools:

Small imperial/metric socket set

Small range of spanners

Small range of screwdrivers

Pliers

Electric jack

Tyre inflator

Tools for removing wheels (I have knock ons)

Tyre valve core removal tool

Micro battery booster (fully charged up)

Multimeter

Crimping tool

A couple of those little gadgets to put on the end of a spark plug to see if it is firing

Spares

Coil

Distributor cap

Rotor arm

Spark plugs

2 Spare injectors

Alternator belt

Tyre valve cores

Spare wheel

Range of fuses

Electrical cable

Range of electrical connectors

Range of light bulbs

Range of jubilee clips

If I were going on a long journey abroad, I might take the spare fuel pump I have.

Useful consumables

Cable ties of various sizes

Duck tape

Self amalgamating tape

Strong glue

K-Seal

5 ltr can of water some oil

I think that's about it.

Cheers, Darren

as above but with some oil and a spare ignition barrel and key. mine snapped off inside once

I carry a distributor base plate with condenser and points fitted all set up and run on the car prior to packaging. It takes a couple of minutes to fit and get back on the road.

A small selection of different sized UNF nuts washers and screws (thread right up to the head) have been useful in the past too.

If you have tubed tyres I would take an inner tube, there are not many tyre shops these days who can vulcanize a patch on a tube, and not many have tubes to buy either.

John

Edited by John L

Phew!.

Would it be better to tow a trailer with a spare car like the Motor home people.

Steve.

You might think so Steve :D

Although, surprisingly, most of what I have on my list packs into a small toolbox. The water goes behind the driver's seat.

post-12866-0-61096700-1523435406_thumb.jpg

There's still plenty of room for the kitchen sink.

If you are a TR Register member, check out the website, spanners and spares, downloadable lists for PI and carb cars:-

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/past-issue/2015/08/0008/TR-Register-Spares-and-Spanners-Guide-for-longdistance-touring-preparation-PI-Cars

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/past-issue/2015/08/0007/TR-Register-Spares-and-Spanners-Guide-for-longdistance-touring-preparation-Carburettor-Cars

Breakdown recovery, credit cards and a mobile phone are a must. Usually other TR enthusiasts around with technical know how and their own spares they are willing to use to help out.

A copy of TR Action with all the GL contact details if you are in another group's area, always people willing to help.

Travelling abroad - overseas directory also available to download on the website

Good Luck

Ian

In the spares list for carb cars carry a spare #4 plug lead as it is the longest - not the #1 as stated.

Why not have a complete spare set.

If you are relying on club insurance recovery contact them and say where you are going and is it all in place - there have been a few cock-ups.

Read the small print carefully.

Roger

You might think so Steve :D

Although, surprisingly, most of what I have on my list packs into a small toolbox. The water goes behind the driver's seat.

attachicon.gifIMG_1446.JPG

There's still plenty of room for the kitchen sink.

Hi Daren,

if you remove the panel in the boot that hides the fuel tank you can get all sorts of tools and kit in there.

Lift the bonnet and look at all that empty space. a 3 man tent next to the wiper motor. Ground sheets and poles next to the master Cy's.

I have fitted little floors in the spaces just forward of the wheel arches next to the headlights - very handy for all the fluids.

Roger

loads of crevices around the petrol tank to stash parts also, tend to leave my tank cover off when away for a while

• 2 weeks later...