Oil change interval

What are people's opinions of the intervals between oil changes? I know it probably depends on type driving but do most people change oil & filter @ the old recommendation of 3000 miles or extend that with today's oils? I was going to change mine @ around 3500 before going to France. I am using Millers 20/50 Classic Sport (semi synthetic) but with such a good oil I was wondering whether to add another approx 800 miles of M25 & French driving!

Cheers.

What are people's opinions of the intervals between oil changes? I know it probably depends on type driving but do most people change oil & filter @ the old recommendation of 3000 miles or extend that with today's oils? I was going to change mine @ around 3500 before going to France. I am using Millers 20/50 Classic Sport (semi synthetic) but with such a good oil I was wondering whether to add another approx 800 miles of M25 & French driving!

Cheers.

Meant to say that has been 3000 miles in the past year.

I change every 3k..... but I wouldn't sweat it over some extra miles, drive and enjoy :)

Thanks for that Andy. Pleasing too that the oil is still very clean & quite golden.

Greasing joints etc is equally important. Dig out a service maintenance bulletin (or similar) and see what needs to be done apart from an oil change. Decide if you want to skip that as well.

Menno

Greasing joints etc is equally important. Dig out a service maintenance bulletin (or similar) and see what needs to be done apart from an oil change. Decide if you want to skip that as well.

Menno

Yes I always do all the grease points every year but just wondered about oil intervals now that oils are supposed to be so much better than 50 years ago.

Hi Monty,

the modern oil should last longer. There is also a camp that suggests that oils filters get better the longer they are used (up to a point).

New filters are not as good as a run in filter.

However our older cars have bigger gaps and more blow by down the pistons and that is what discolours the oil and bungs things up.

Increasing your 3000 miles to nearer 5000 will do no damage and leave the filter alone until this figure.

Roger

When I worked at a BMC/BL dealer from 1970 on, the intervals were normally 6,000, with the initial drain at 1,000 miles.

I have used Castrol Classic 20/50 mineral oil in both the Triumph and the Mini so assuming the make-up of it is similar to the original I would say intervals might be the same, though I often thought it was unnecessary so soon especially if the oil hadn't been contaminated or damaged by overheating etc. However, I thought the Minis/1100's deserved it most due to the gearbox running engine oil. We were also encouraged to use Wynns engine protection on every service.

One thing I do miss is the smell of Castrol R ! Is it still available with the same 'classic perfume' I wonder?!

Kevin

Ahhh the smell of castrol R

Reminds me of vscc events in the pits when a full grid took off in a cloud of methanol and castrol R mix.

Guest ntc

When I worked at a BMC/BL dealer from 1970 on, the intervals were normally 6,000, with the initial drain at 1,000 miles.

I have used Castrol Classic 20/50 mineral oil in both the Triumph and the Mini so assuming the make-up of it is similar to the original I would say intervals might be the same, though I often thought it was unnecessary so soon especially if the oil hadn't been contaminated or damaged by overheating etc. However, I thought the Minis/1100's deserved it most due to the gearbox running engine oil. We were also encouraged to use Wynns engine protection on every service.

One thing I do miss is the smell of Castrol R ! Is it still available with the same 'classic perfume' I wonder?!

Kevin

It is but dry sump use only.

Yes Hamish, that wonderful Castrol R smell, if it were available in an after shave I'd be up for it. The 1966 IOM TT traces were delayed.by a seaman's strike and took place later than normal that year. By lucky chance I was on holiday there with my parents that year on a pre-planned holiday and father and I watched several races from vantage points such as Creg Ny Baa and the Gooseneck. Even after 50+ years I only have to catch a whiff of Castrol R to be transported back to the Island to hear again Agostini's wonderful 3 cylinder MV Agusta in the Junior TT. Mike Hailwood won the Senior that year on his Honda at over 103mph but more amazing were the 50cc super lightweights, the winning bike's race average speed was over 85mph and on their way down to the Creg from Kate's Cottage they sounded like an angry swarm of wasps!

Tim

Ahhh the smell of castrol R

Reminds me of vscc events in the pits when a full grid took off in a cloud of methanol and castrol R mix.

My friend still runs Castrol R in this lawn mower for the 'experience'

Castrol R,

Its 1956, i'm 10 years old and mad about anything that has a motor, its also saturday night and I've just walked nearly 2 miles with mates to get to Rayleigh Stadium and watch the Rayleigh Rockets Speedway team battle it out with the Ipswitch Witches. Castrol R fills the air and can still be smelt 1/4 mile away while walking home afterwards. Memories ah

Yes lovely stuff. A friend & fellow 'mod' used to run it in his Vespa GS160! Smelling that oil, seeing The Who live every other weekend in Watford & 'posing' with scooters & girlfriends will stay with me forever! Then I got sensible & bought a Mini & started another phase!

Regards.

Wonderful evocative smell for us oldies. You can get the same effect by putting a cap-full of castor oil in the petrol tank........

Wonderful evocative smell for us oldies. You can get the same effect by putting a cap-full of castor oil in the petrol tank........

I'd imagine that would loosen everything up nicely :wacko:

Getting back to oil change intervals I was reading some lab. results from

America on a large selection of modern oils to test there deterioration over

a period of use, without going into details 5000 mls was the results before

a decline in there ability to hold contaminates in suspension.

Harvey S. Maitland

Mine has a useful feature. It has so many leaks that it changes oil on its own every 3000 miles or so! I just have to keep topping it up!????????

I would run it to 5000 miles and then do a used oil analysis. Millers will do that.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/millercare.asp

I reckon tha oil will still be well in spec at 5000 miles. Did one for my Impreza with 9,000 miles on the oil and it was still well in spec. Sometines the oil will tend to start going off at say about 5,000 miles.

Edited by Eddie Cairns

Mine has a useful feature. It has so many leaks that it changes oil on its own every 3000 miles or so! I just have to keep topping it up!

You too huh? Keeps the chassis rust down doesn't it.

Pete