Bummer!

My son and I were on our way to Le Mans having just disembarked from the ferry at Caen when a rocker arm snapped. Currently waiting at the recovery garage for the technician to confirm my diagnosis back to the insurance company.

Anyone got a spare rocker for #3 exhaust valve?

Even more annoying is the fact that I replaced them all less than 500 miles ago because the previous ones were also faulty - no case hardening on the wearing surfaces.

Both sets were supplied by Moss who provided the replacements FOC without any quibbling.

I suspect that all of them come from the same source no matter who actually supplies them so there probably isn't much point in looking for an alternative, it's just one of the joys of classic car motoring!

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

not sure of ultimate outcome but if you go that way remove the spark plug as well

Keep revs as low as you can

MPG will drop.

I've got a few arms but how to get to you.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Spoken to Moss already, the earliest they could deliver to France would be Monday. The garage in Caen say there is a possibility that one will be available locally but need to wait until 2pm to find out. I'm not optimistic.

Rgds Ian

Once fixed, please make full PQI (Parts Quality Initiative) Reports on the earlier and the current failure.

Best of luck,

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

not sure of ultimate outcome but if you go that way remove the spark plug as well

Keep revs as low as you can

MPG will drop.

I've got a few arms but how to get to you.

Roger

Is it wise to be spraying fuel all over a hot engine bay?

No joy in contacting our local mates in TR France etc to source a locally available used item ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Is it wise to be spraying fuel all over a hot engine bay?

It won't do that as the valves won't be opening.

I'd remove pushrods and sparkplug, and take it carefully too. Nice slow drive through the French countryside, even if the toll roads are reasonably quick and direct.

My suggestion would be to try to find someone on a boat to Caen today/tomorrow morning who can bring over a rocker arm, either from Moss or Roger. Collect it at Lemans, or Caen if you're still there.

Bit late now but there's a boat this afternoon, and another overnight boat tonight.

Anyone know someone travelling later?

Moss have a branch in Paris, but as far as I am aware, there are no/minimal parts held there.

David

Have seen this done but not a recommendation from me. Remove both push rods and drive on. It was Mick Watson in a 3 returning from a euro meet.

Roy

To update on this topic. We are now at Le Mans having picked up a hire car in Caen courtesy of DAS Roadside assistance, (but boy were they incompetent). I have ordered a replacement rocker from Moss to be sent UPS Air (to arrive in Caen Monday). I guess I will have to come back to Caen to collect the car once it is fixed.

Many thanks for any advice / offers but I went with option that got me to Le Mans to enjoy the event.

Rgds Ian

Ian,

I think you have made the right choice with the hire car

At least you will now get to see the 24hrs race and forget about the TRoubles for a couple of days.

You still have to get her back to Blighty, but it WILL happen.

In 6 months you will see it all as “Fun“ trip.

I’ve had many continental disasters in my TR. But that is always part of the “Adventure” of continental driving in an old car.

30 years ago I drove from Coventry to Rome in a VW camper van with a hole in a piston. Bit of a worry at the time, but I did it and all added to the rich tapestry of life. (And something to bore your grand-kids with when you tell them the tale.)

Best of luck with the trip home.

Charlie D.

Ian, it looks as if you may be sorted now, but this may have been useful to you.

This is a link to a list of garages and suppliers throughout Europe (including the UK) that can provide TR breakdown assistance, be it parts or services.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/4387919/download-the-pdf-of-the-guide-tr-register/5

It was a TR Register publication called the "European Breakdown Directory" that was produced some time ago (2005) and which you used to be able to download from the (old) website.

I note that there is a "Foreward to the First Edition"

Can I make a plea to the Register to, at the very least, put the download link back on the new website, even if does come with a warning that some of the information may be out of date. This will take very little effort and could be a useful resource to any TRR member from any country, touring Europe.

And then update the directory and publish the Second Edition.

Phil

Many thks again for the various posts and advice, the car is now fixed and awaiting my collection from Caen. I am planning to do that on Monday next week.

I have a few issues with the DAS recovery service that is part of my TR Register insurance package but I will take those up separately in a letter.

I have also taken photos of the offending part and will write to Moss and copy the letter to the PQI team.

In view of the fact that this is the second issue I have had with rockers, if anyone knows a source of better quality (and inevitably more expensive items), please let me know.

Rgds Ian

Many thks again for the various posts and advice, the car is now fixed and awaiting my collection from Caen. I am planning to do that on Monday next week.

I have a few issues with the DAS recovery service that is part of my TR Register insurance package but I will take those up separately in a letter.

I have also taken photos of the offending part and will write to Moss and copy the letter to the PQI team.

In view of the fact that this is the second issue I have had with rockers, if anyone knows a source of better quality (and inevitably more expensive items), please let me know.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

As others of us have TR Register insurance, perhaps you could enlighten us on the DAS problems?

Cheers.

If only I had seen Roger PM before, I could have bring you a complete spare rocker shaft on my way to CLM, the 8th :wacko:

But, as explained to Roger, I don't come here often since Badfrog is not with us anymore....

Some guys here (Alec Pringle, but he is not the only one) has my cell phone number, and Allan Jezzard know how I can help when I can.

One point : why I don't have an email to tell me that I have a new Pm on this forum, as on others ?

If only I had seen Roger PM before, I could have bring you a complete spare rocker shaft on my way to CLM, the 8th :wacko:

But, as explained to Roger, I don't come here often since Badfrog is not with us anymore....

Some guys here (Alec Pringle, but he is not the only one) has my cell phone number, and Allan Jezzard know how I can help when I can.

One point : why I don't have an email to tell me that I have a new Pm on this forum, as on others ?

Chris, see what you have configured in My Settings... Notification Options... There is an option to be notified when you have new PM. My Settings is under the profile drop down in the top right hand corner of the main forum page.

I imagine that anywhere that you break down in Europe or the USA there are half a dozen people within a 100 mile radius who have just what you need. The challenge is finding them.

Stan