We Buy Any Car (WBAC)

So I’ve always recognised that WBAC are not going to give you the best price for your car but yesterday I had an example of how bad it is.

I have a 2006 Mercedes SLK280 with 57k miles on the clock that needed to go and since it isn’t going to be worth a great deal I gave WBAC a try.

Their initial online valuation was £2135 which is on the low side but just about acceptable so I booked an appointment at the local site - about two miles away.

i arrived at the site and the guy in the office comes out to view the car - we note that there are some minor chips on the edge of the drivers door and that the front bumper has a small scratch on the LHS.  He then examines all the paperwork - full MB service history up to 2012 and then full MB independent service history thereafter.  And a full set of MoTs.

Next he puts all this data into has tablet and comes up with a revised offer - £1,000.01

Needless to say I walked away.

Rgds Ian

Sometimes difficult to recognise but ANY entity that buys a product has to move it on at a higher price, WBAC are not a retirement home for older or now unused cars.

Unless they sell the car to a trader (who wants to buy it at the cheapest price, not dissimilar to the actual offer you received on site). They have £1135 in the deal between the buying from you price, and the selling price which would likely reflect the original on line price at £2135. Even worse, because they are a firm as soon as they advertise the car for sale if entering the retail market whoever buys from them will be protected by legislation and they may end up having to repair it for at least a 3 month or 6 month period. I've not checked but a warranty (if available at this cars age) from a warranty firm will likely cost a good portion of that and be far from comprehensive, and as anybody who has claimed upon a warranty has found, seemingly there's always an exception that puts the failing part or problem outside it. 

I guess your experience just shows that any firm has to operate within it's restrictions to allow them to make a profit and exist. There must be somebody who is happy with what's offered by them to allow that to happen. As you demonstrate Ian, the perceptive owner will object to their advertising, and disappointment experienced with their "cast a net" and skim off the unwary car owner and the profit in his car owned.

Mick Richards      

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

a couple of neighbours and friends have sold their cars through Motorway  https://motorway.co.uk/ , achieving much better prices than quoted on WBAC and they have been happy with the service. As I understand it, traders bid against each other to buy the car.......... I have no connection with either company!
Ian

WBAC tried to screw over our older son who ended up going to Motorway and got a whole bunch more than WBAC offered, with no quibbling about negotiated price. He would recommend your going to Motorway and shunning WBAC therefore.

I actually got a great deal from wbac for Angie’s wreck of a Renault Clio - full of dents!!! I was honest when I declared the condition and they ended up paying £500 more!!!!

Part exed my Evoque a couple of years ago for a  BMW with CINCH and after a lot of shopping around they gave me the best deal!

Nigel

I know a couple of people who have sold their cars to WBAC, on talking to the young guy doing the deal he told me everything they buy goes on a transporter and off to BCA Auctions to be sold as seen with no come back, they get greatly reduced fees owing to the volume they send and with their low offers there is room for profit. Quite a good business plan I think, It would seem a good place to get rid of a car with problems..

Phil..

Edited by lynchpin

It's their usual ploy to get you there and then knock the price down as much as possible for the slightest imperfections. I've used them and others similar outfits to get a price to use against car dealers who will often offer even less who rather than loose a sale offer more against whatever your buying. 

Andy

I have done very well at WBAC - the last vehicle sold to them the offer was reduced by just £50 from the online offer. The key is to ensure you honestly include any damage/chips etc. when doing the valuation.

my personal experience of Motorway was very poor - I wouldn’t return there.

Almost all of the WBAC stock purchased does, indeed, go directly to the BCA auctions - if you happen to have a particularly new/desirable low-mileage vehicle it will probably go to their sister sales arm (Cinch/Cazoo) and they will get a slightly larger margin.

They are all businesses, therefore they need to make a profit - either from the seller, the buyer, or both.

I sold a 4-year old Audi to WBAC about 18 months ago and got a better price than I expected - even though not of course the 'teaser' price their computer spewed out. At risk of stating the obvious, it's important to decide beforehand your walk-away price and if they don't offer that after they've seen over the car... then walk away! It's not a question of morality, it's supply and demand.

Having accepted their offer, concluding things was incredibly easy/quick process that took about 15 mins and the money was in my account within a couple of hours. Having tried selling a car privately the previous time, and having to deal with various complete idiots and chancers, life's too short.

Nigel

On the matter of “Life is too short”, I agree with you entirely but a grand was a joke.  I rang up a local dealer who I know and asked if he would take a look at it and he offered £2,300 so I was happy to do a deal at that figure.  The car had a few issues and was an early 06 model with the balance shaft problem waiting to emerge and that’s an engine out job.

Rgds Ian

16 hours ago, lynchpin said:

I know a couple of people who have sold their cars to WBAC, on talking to the young guy doing the deal he told me everything they buy goes on a transporter and off to BCA Auctions to be sold as seen with no come back, they get greatly reduced fees owing to the volume they send and with their low offers there is room for profit. Quite a good business plan I think, It would seem a good place to get rid of a car with problems..

Phil..

THINK  WBAC is owned by BCA?

John.

I had a WBAC agent visit to view & quote on an XK8 which was in fabulous condition. On receipt of his lousy offer, I reminded him that Glasses Guide and Black Cap books were pricing cars long before WBAC existed - the difference being those organisations were not offering to buy the car - only value it. He was a bit too young to know this.

It seems WBAC spotted the mistake Glasses & BC were making and often now acquire cars below their true worth after undervalueing them.

The XK found a new and enthusiastic private owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-interesting article in the Mirror today about some seriously minted guy's experiment with WBAC... https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-took-4million-car-collection-31720846 :huh:

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 3:49 PM, lynchpin said:

on talking to the young guy doing the deal he told me everything they buy goes on a transporter and off to BCA Auctions to be sold as seen with no come back, they get greatly reduced fees owing to the volume they send and with their low offers there is room for profit. Quite a good business plan I think, It would seem a good place to get rid of a car with problems..

Phil..

We buy any car, Cinch and BCA are all part of the same company. Different brands for different purposes within the same supply chain.