Here in East Sussex  today there is ice on the cars parked outside. The TR3 is inside a garage and I need to add antifreeze to my winter maintenance list.

I have a can of BLUECOL blue which I hope is the correct type for my 1958 car. The label says that it conforms to BS6580  (2010). I am sure that it is correct for my car but I would like some advice from the forum before I flush and refill my radiator. There is also some choice on the quantity. 25%, 33%, or 50% . How much coolant is in the car at present ?

What would be the best way to flush the radiator to make sure that it is cleaned up inside,  and what would be a safe product ??

Thanks Richard & B

Hi Richard

l always get my blue antifreeze from euro car parts when needed ( more often than not on offer )and mix at 50/50 the best way to flush is with a garden hose, bottom hose off or radiator tap left open and if fitted engine block tap open until you get clean water coming out you will always have some residual of old antifreeze left but it won’t do any harm don’t waste money on any chemical flushes on the market as they are not really worth it 

Chris

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

I have a can of BLUECOL blue which I hope is the correct type for my 1958 car.

Yes that is the right stuff.  There is around 8 litres of coolant in the engine, radiator and heater.

The blue will be fine. I run about 50/50 and fill a  top up 2ltr pop bottle with the same mix.

just don’t spill and antifreeze or the mix as despite the bitrex stuff that should be in it pets and wildlife may still drink it and get very ill or die. So don’t put the old stuff down the drain either.

Absolutely right about animals and antifreeze, Hamish.     But how else to dispose other than down the drain?    Well diluted, of course, washed it down with sinkfull of water?

John

Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is used not just as a car antifreeze. It seems it is common in cosmetics and detergent cleaners and of course is widely used at airports for de-icing so lots of it is already going down the drain.  It does seem to be biodegradable:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/3527600035.bpol9012

On 12/1/2023 at 8:41 PM, Dady said:

Does antifreeze have a shelf life? I’ve got a bottle in the garage I’ve had for years. can I still use it to top up?

David

Can somebody answer the above part of the question please, as my neighbour who is no longer driving has some unused blue freeze?

Cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread

Quote:

'A sealed bottle of antifreeze has an indefinite shelf life. Once opened, it will keep for years if stored in the original container.

Antifreeze – coolant that has not been mixed with water – tends to last even longer than pre-mixed engine coolant, though both last for years'.

https://www.diycarserviceparts.co.uk/blog/2019/12/24/does-antifreeze-expire/

The consensus seems to be that the life is indefinite if the container is still sealed, and at least 5 years if opened.   If older than that you must ask yourself how much you value your engine, in case it doesn't work as well as it should ...........

Edited by RobH

There are 101 versions of antifreeze testers like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403434630077

I'm not sure though if they just test to check that the water/antifreeze ratio is correct (people topping up with just water in the summer months) of if it actually tells you if the antifreeze is still good enough to do it's job.

Any chemists here who know the answer?

Charlie.

It’s £10 from Halfords just buy a new one and be sure- not a lot in the scheme of things surely ? It’s insurance from potentially expensive engine damage, even stored in the garage if the winter continues to be so cold and variable with this freeze thaw.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-silicate-ready-mixed-antifreeze-2l-600407.html

On 12/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, Hamish said:

It’s £10 from Halfords just buy a new one and be sure- not a lot in the scheme of things surely ? It’s insurance from potentially expensive engine damage, even stored in the garage if the winter continues to be so cold and variable with this freeze thaw.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-silicate-ready-mixed-antifreeze-2l-600407.html

A word of warning - I used the link above and entered my reg number…message came back stating not suitable for my car (TR4a)

55 minutes ago, Dady said:

A word of warning - I used the link above and entered my reg number…message came back stating not suitable for my car (TR4a)

Halfords checker doesn’t  even recognise my TR3a reg. so don’t rely on it!

but my point is don’t scrimp on cheap essentials that can save you repair bills of £’000’s

55 minutes ago, Dady said:

It's a silicate antifreeze so yes it is the right type for TRs  

You can usually ignore those registration number look-up things - they just don't work for cars more than about 20 years old, and even then you can't necessarily trust them . 

1 hour ago, trchris said:

GSF car parts have Drivetec blue antifreeze on offer at £13.38 for 5lts at the moment 

Chris

Just checked GSF.  Not available at any of the 4 local stores or for home delivery.

12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Just checked GSF.  Not available at any of the 4 local stores or for home delivery.

Hello 

I used these people and for de ionised water

Hexeal BLUE ANTIFREEZE & COOLANT | 5L | -37 ºC | High Concentrate/Longlife | eBay

Roger

After reading this thread decided to check the strength, if any of the coolant in my, new to me TR3a.

Firstly I was pleased to see that the coolant was very blue……Bluecol ? and  no discolouration. 
Secondly with my Sealey concentrate checker, it showed the anti freeze strength could cope with -37C I am thinking this must be nearly 100% antifreeze. 
Hopefully it will not get as cold as this in Hampshire….and am I right to assume that this is OK ?

IMG_5531.jpeg