According to the writing on that gauge, -37C is 50% mixture. 

Ageing  isn't necessarily shown by the concentration getting less or the colour changing Rob,  antifreeze also contains corrosion inhibitors and it is those which get used up with time and require the coolant to be changed.  I don't think you can tell just by looking at the stuff.

The silicate inhibitors  in non - OAT (blue) antifreeze are reckoned to last about two years.  

Rob,

Such a high concentration of antifreeze may not be a good idea!

Water, plain water, is an ideal coolant.  It conducts heat well, has a high specific heat, and a low viscosity, so that it attracts heat from the block, carries a lot of heat in it and flows easily to take it away  Only problem is that it freezes, and that when in contact with differing metals can cause electrolytic corrosion.     Adding antifreeze prevents these ill properties, but diminishes the advantages of pure water.

The lowest temp ever recorded in  Hampshire (in  modern times, no doubt it was less in the Ice Ages!) was -17C.   The mixture in your engine is probably about 50% antifreeze, while you only need an antifreeze mixture of less than 40% at worst  to prevent damage.     In reality 20% is probably adequate and it's what I use, a long way further north than you are!

John

image.png.968bb7940e06b4222f955acdc365a4aa.png

1 hour ago, RobH said:

According to the writing on that gauge, -37C is 50% mixture. 

Ageing  isn't necessarily shown by the concentration getting less or the colour changing Rob,  antifreeze also contains corrosion inhibitors and it is those which get used up with time and require the coolant to be changed.  I don't think you can tell just by looking at the stuff.

The silicate inhibitors  in non - OAT (blue) antifreeze are reckoned to last about two years.  

Thanks Rob, as the car is as you know, in an unheated garage I was concerned about the strength of the antifreeze, I am now confident that there will be no frost damage, while it stands thro’ the winter months. 
In the spring, I will have a go at draining and refilling at a slightly lower concentration !

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Rob just drain a third of the coolant volume, refill with water and check the concentration with your device!

It should last two years at least.

John

John, thanks for that, car is garaged now for the winter. Will check antifreeze and adjust as you suggest early spring when back on road !

On 12/8/2023 at 4:52 PM, TR Rob said:

After reading this thread decided to check the strength, if any of the coolant in my, new to me TR3a.

Firstly I was pleased to see that the coolant was very blue……Bluecol ? and  no discolouration. 
Secondly with my Sealey concentrate checker, it showed the anti freeze strength could cope with -37C I am thinking this must be nearly 100% antifreeze. 
Hopefully it will not get as cold as this in Hampshire….and am I right to assume that this is OK ?

IMG_5531.jpeg

I think -37C is a 50% mix.