Gearbox filling plug

Just had the gearbox oil drained and cleaned the filter of the A type overdrive.

Lack of experience, didn't check the filler plug, and when trying to undo...under the car, without elevator, you guessed could not take it out.

Now I have a gearbox and overdrive without oil and cannot drive.

Is the any other way to fill the gearbox? at least get some oil in and get to the nearest garage 

thank you wise and experience Trs

Lift the carpet from the transmission tunnel and see if there is a rubber bung in the cover you can pull to get to it. If not you could elect to cut one and use a decent socket/key to take the plug out or risk rounding it if it isn't already if so a pipe wrench should extract it then replace with a new one for next time.

Other folk may have other solutions but you shouldn't need to take it to a garage.

Andy

I cut a hole in my tunnel some time back, I got a measurement from the H frame from the Forum but don't remember now what it was, I used the rubber bung that goes in the tunnel at the front of the hand brake lever,  Moss p/n 605602, to lubricate the prop shaft.

John

Edited by John L
49 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

If you don’t have the proper 7/16” square tool to undo it then file a 7/16” square hole in a large nut, slip it over the square drain plug and  get a socket and ratchet on it. 

I like that idea Andrew as square sockets seem a bit thin on the ground unless anyone knows of a supplier?

Andy

I have made (filed) myself “tool” from a nut too, took me 15 mins. It has a tight fit. I made it with a new plug available, so I could optimise the fit, it is a bit tapered.

Waldi

Thanks George but it relies on griping the corners not the flats so I suspect if the drain plug is less than perfect it will round it off after which the fun and games begin!

Rimmers offer this https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RX1643 but for £27 it looks like a cheap offering so it can stay on the shelf! Surprised so far that I haven't found a quality vintage one. looks like I'll make one for when the time comes to change the oil.

Andy 

1 hour ago, PodOne said:

Thanks George but it relies on griping the corners not the flats so I suspect if the drain plug is less than perfect it will round it off after which the fun and games begin

Andy

I have used an eight point socket for drain and level plugs for years without problems.

I did have a modified nut which was fine for the drain plug but found it to big to go under the rib on the gearbox level plug. (Or thinking about it it may have been the dif level plug).

George 

Edited by harlequin

Use a „multident“ socket, 12 dents / 3 = 4.

For those who can work from down under the car, use a „Knipex Zangenschlüssel“,

https://www.ebay.de/itm/313043024784?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=_BhsuKQ8Qs2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=O7ERiDvEQQq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Hold it the right way around and it closes more tight the more you pull.

One of the best tools you can ever buy!

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320

There was a article in TR Action sometime ago about using a stainless steel bush and a s/s hex head plug to replace the original type of plug. Did this on my 4A and no problems since topping up the gearbox oil.

Graham

I tried that Rimmer tool on my J-type box and found it useless.  This was because below the level/filler plug there is a horizontal rib on the J-type that prevents the tool fitting squarely over the square head.  Handy for adjusting the rear brakes though.

Edited by Alfrom
1 hour ago, Alfrom said:

I tried that Rimmer tool on my J-type box and fund it useless.  This was because below the level/filler plug there is a horizontal rib on the J-type that prevents the tool fitting squarely over the square head.  Handy for adjusting the rear brakes though.

Sounds about right!

Just as well its useful for something but then you can buy a brake adjuster spanner for £5.

How big is the square?

what about a lathe tool post wrench?    
Sadly the metric world has taken hold.

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/402072-lathe-post-square-wrench-8-to-19mm?variant=32032306762

IMG_2043.jpeg

A big syringe and a bit of tube fed into the hole or a long tube attached to a funnel held above out side of the car and let gravity do the work. The long tube most likely need two people unless you rig it to a stand of some kind. No need to remove the tunnel even if you have a bung cut in there. 

A 7/16' 8 point socket works well, and will not strip a square headed stock drain plug.

Here's one in the UK....

https://www.uktools.com/716-inch-38drive-8-point-26mm-long-double-square-soc.html

I use a small funnel with tube attached, but as mentioned above.... there is more than one way.

While I prefer topping/filling off this way, a lot of folks don't mind topping off from below.

100_4162.jpg

9 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

This forum is a real Alexandria library for TR,s 

My main concern now is how to fill the gearbox at least a minimum quantity without go over again taking of the tunnel cover, if possible 

Park the car on a level surface.Put a drip tray under the gearbox.Tilt the car from the passenger side using a jack or whatever, undo the gearbox fill/level plug and fill it until it just overflows. I use an old Castrol syringe device.Drop the jack until the car's back on its wheels.Oil will flow out of the filler plug into the drip tray until it reaches the correct level in the gearbox. Jack the car back up and reinstall the plug.

Note:I use car stands as well as the jack to support the car while I'm  under it  even for this simple operation.

Edited by Mike C
10 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

This forum is a real Alexandria library for TR,s 

My main concern now is how to fill the gearbox at least a minimum quantity without go over again taking of the tunnel cover, if possible 

I use a catering 5litre sauce bottle and pump, and just feed in from underneath.

Remember that, as you have an overdrive you MUST top up again after the first short run, you cannot top up an empty gearbox and overdrive in one session.

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

I use a catering 5litre sauce bottle and pump, and just feed in from underneath.

Remember that, as you have an overdrive you MUST top up again after the first short run, you cannot top up an empty gearbox and overdrive in one session.

John.

Why? No mention of this in the Brown Book, which I've followed for years without any problems.

Hi Mike,

on a new refurbished OD there will be no oil in the various oilways and pump.

So top up as normal. Then give it a run for a few miles (the GB will be OK with a slightly low level) then top up - it will not need much.

You could run slightly low for a 1000 miles and top up with your usual service.

Roger