Thoroughly Unchuffed - Spares Day

So just booked 8 tickets for some of the crowd travelling in February.

£15 on the day, £12 if you pre pay - fair enough?

£1.50 PER Ticket Booking Fee, and they don't even post them, I have to print them off, or do that technical phone thingy - something I 

do not trust!

So really taking the mickey I think?

John.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

.......and they are making 3 months interest on your payment.........  Rip Off Britain.

Roger

Every day Roger!

For saving £1.50 on the day when if we may possibly have snow in Feb and not be able to travel I’ll pay on the day. 

But agree it’s another shameless rip off for the fee I’d expect free tea and coffee 

Download to your phone seems the way everybody is going now, be it car events, concerts etc, we booked ours and friends tickets 14 in all for Silverstone this year and my wife had to send everybody their own tickets on email so that they could download them onto their own phones, couldn't print them off, I normally leave my phone off and locked in the car but had to carry it about all day, and what if you don' have a smart phone! or no bl--dy signal. Sod bloody modern tec, give me a printed bit of paper any time. Rant over (for now).

Phil..

Ticket for Saturday at the NEC is £38.00 but if booked in advance it is only £35.00 but a booking fee of £2.50 bumps that up to near the full ammount! Luckily the TR Register discount brings it down to £31.00 and the booking fee was spread over 4 tickets, then forwarded the ticket email to a friend who has a working printer.

Cheers 

Richard

That place is such a rip-off!

NEC parking is a rip off. I've avoided paying it past if they haven't changed it. How you ask? Simple asked them to show me where the price was displayed on entry there wasn't so I was denied the choice to park or not based on price. Thought they were smart by replying its available on line Sir. Answer I don't use the internet or have a smart phone. Result waved us through.

I'd gladly pay a reasonable sum to park but 15 - 17 quid plus entry and heaven forbid a snack and the cost of travel its far from a family outing. Taking the p...s.

Plus the traders pay a silly amount to the point getting a discount is becoming a no no or increasingly simply don't attend.

Andy 

I have never paid to get in the NEC, or for the car parking (either displaying our, or our customers cars, or scrounged trade tickets) , but its been a few years now since I last attended so its come as a bit of a shock to find out that people are prepared to shell out nearly 40 quid, plus parking!

I have bought TR's for less than that!

Mug punters easily parted with their hard earned!

If people held back from going for a year or two then the prices may adjust themselves.

Car parking at other events at the NEC are very much cheaper  (re - Caravan Expo etc)  

The organisers know that we stupid car owners expect to be ripped off and they go for it wholesale.

Roger

20 hours ago, lynchpin said:

Download to your phone seems the way everybody is going now, be it car events, concerts etc, we booked ours and friends tickets 14 in all for Silverstone this year and my wife had to send everybody their own tickets on email so that they could download them onto their own phones, couldn't print them off, I normally leave my phone off and locked in the car but had to carry it about all day, and what if you don' have a smart phone! or no bl--dy signal. Sod bloody modern tec, give me a printed bit of paper any time. Rant over (for now).

Phil..

Went to see a band in the middle of winter with e tickets on my phone . 
Problem ….real hassle trying to get face recognition on my phone to work to open my phone up to show the bouncer my tickets . Oh the days of paper tickets and queuing up at the box office to buy !!!

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

If people held back from going for a year or two then the prices may adjust themselves.

Car parking at other events at the NEC are very much cheaper  (re - Caravan Expo etc)  

The organisers know that we stupid car owners expect to be ripped off and they go for it wholesale.

Roger

This comes around every year it seems. I have said previously the Caravan show was not only a lot cheaper(half the price I think) but parking was free!!. I have not gone for 2 years now as I don't like feeling I am being ripped off. Miss the show but I am at enough is enough. Just my 2p worth.

Edited by Harbottle

The entry fee overhere for the “BritishCarClubDay” was 5 euro’s and parking was free.

That is a big difference. Probably it is a smaller event (just around a thousand visitors or so), so you would expect it to be more expensive?

Waldi

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roger

I didn’t go last year and not going again this year. It’s a great show but entry cost way too high and car parking extortionate. 
Recent similar sized Caravan and Motorhome Show there, entry was £9.75 with Camping & Caravan Club discount, including car parking. 
Blatant profiteering for Classic Car Show. 
Dave McD

1 hour ago, Dave McDonald said:

I didn’t go last year and not going again this year. It’s a great show but entry cost way too high and car parking extortionate. 
Recent similar sized Caravan and Motorhome Show there, entry was £9.75 with Camping & Caravan Club discount, including car parking. 
Blatant profiteering for Classic Car Show. 
Dave McD

I completely agree Dave, it's a good show but the cost is way to high. We went along to the Caravan and Motorhome show which is a very similar format to the Classic Car Show at a fraction of the price, as you say "blatant profiteering! "

Unfortunately it's beginning to creep into car shows as well, one of the bigger shows here in  Cambridgeshire started to charge entrants to show their cars this summer, which resulted in a very poor turnout and those who did go said they wouldn't bother next year.

George 

2 minutes ago, harlequin said:

Unfortunately it's beginning to creep into car shows as well, one of the bigger shows here in  Cambridgeshire started to charge entrants to show their cars this summer, which resulted in a very poor turnout and those who did go said they wouldn't bother next year.

George 

Happened with one of the bigger shows down here too, result a serious drop in attendance and eventual closing of the show.

Stuart.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, multipletriumphsinner said:

I have never paid to get in the NEC, or for the car parking (either displaying our, or our customers cars, or scrounged trade tickets) , but its been a few years now since I last attended so its come as a bit of a shock to find out that people are prepared to shell out nearly 40 quid, plus parking!

I have bought TR's for less than that!

Mug punters easily parted with their hard earned!

Thanks for the Mug Punters comment.   Freeloading isn't my thing,  the Classic Car movement needs supporting. !

Conrad.

52 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

...if you cannot buy the ticket without a fee the fee is in reality part of the cost...

A bit like in the old days when you bought a new car. You had to pay extra for the number plats. Hardley an "Optional exra."

The whole idea of having to pay to go into a show that is basically full of traders always seems odd.

You are actually paying to go into a shop.

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

You are actually paying to go into a shop.

Same could be said of any town centre and the often Stella parking costs and then the council wonders why the city centres are dying and people shop out of town. not a hard concept to grasp instead they feel the need to spend mega bucks to redevelop the city centre and hike the parking costs up even higher!