Since the demise of the company that i used i have tried a couple of recommended others but not to my standard.

Just seen on one of the many TV restoration programes a company ACF Howell in the midlands. Looked good but has anyone had dealing and a view of there work ?

Roy

Apologies for hijacking the thread. But my bumpers could do with a re chrome.

Anyone able suggest a good company within 30 miles of Wakefield.

Interested more in the quality rather than the price.

Andy

26 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Andy

Derby plating used to be good, don’t know if they’re still going.

Stuart

Roy,  I can recommend A C F Howell in Walsall, they are old school and produce very high quality work.

I took them everything to be re-chromed on a 1971 Daytona and the same on an Espada, Ghibli and Facel Vega - the results were exceptional. I know several 'difficult to please' people who have used them without a grumble.

Rod

I too used AFC Howell for an XK140, bumpers and zamac grille around 2003; old school indeed, then as well. The ceiling was packed with many new bumpers for classic cars!

Waldi

Very timely - I have just picked up two TR4A rear light castings from the platers  http://colonnademetal.com/contact_10.html

and the quality is better than new.  £120 each.  Slowish time apprx 3 months.  But Quality

I tried photographing them but it is rather difficult on something so shiny.  The reflection looks good.

Roger

DSC_9383a.jpg

Edited by RogerH

Derby Plating if still going are used by top restorers.

Rang both Derby plating and Howells roughly a £1000 difference between the two. Howells being the cheaper. 

Big difference am I missing something. Howells quality the lesser of the two?

On 10/18/2023 at 9:13 PM, PodOne said:

Andy

I had excellent results with Prestige Chrome Plating in Mexborough, which is about 25 miles from you

Hi Roy, I used Howells for rechroming at full set of bumpers and overrides about 12 years ago on my TR4a. The quality of there work was very good at the time and from memory without digging out my receipts I think I paid £840 total inclusive of VAT. They also undertook repairing and replating rear lights, front side light/indicators, and wire wheel spinners. They all still look very good. Mike