Tyre Advice

Hi All,

I have a question about tyres which has no doubt been asked and answered more than a few times.

Firstly, I need tyres all round for my ongoing ‘return to the road’ restoration on my 1972 TR6 which has original 15” steel wheels fitted. I have read up on a few recommendations and had settled on Vredestein T-Trac 2’s (165/80 R15).

What are peoples experience of these in the past? Are they the correct size?

I am also curious about tubed / tubeless, I am guessing that the current setup is tubed tyres on the 6, if fitting the above, would it be acceptable to run these tubeless? 

I have phoned round a few shops in the area but no one has experience of this age of car anymore. 

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cal 

Hi Cal,

You will no doubt get various opinions here.

Based on a stock, 5.5j original pressed wheel (as above), I suggest: 195/65/15 sized tyre. Uniroyal Rainsports are a great brand of tyre (check tyre reviews for grip). 

Circa £70 a tyre, fully inclusive (valve, balancing & VAT).

You can buy an original 165 sized tyre, for that period feel, but they are very expensive, and if you're not doing many miles a year, the tyre will go off, before it wears out.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Cal,

You will no doubt get various opinions here.

Based on a stock, 5.5j original pressed wheel (as above), I suggest: 195/65/15 sized tyre. Uniroyal Rainsports are a great brand of tyre (check tyre reviews for grip). 

Circa £70 a tyre, fully inclusive (valve, balancing & VAT).

You can buy an original 165 sized tyre, for that period feel, but they are very expensive, and if you're not doing many miles a year, the tyre will go off, before it wears out.

Good luck.

I use 195/65R15 Pirelli Cinturato's. They're a common tyre in Australia and when you buy them they are fresh and cheap.

Very few TR6 owners drive their cars enough to wear out the tyres before their use by date,

I would also recommend the 165/80/15. The steering is so much lighter and the car feels more responsive and agile than with the larger sizes I have had in the past. This is the size that Triumph designed the car for at least it was for the PI cars and for me at least it has transformed the experience. 

Derek . 

I use 165/80 x 15, car looks and feels great compared to the larger lower profile I started with. Mine are fitted without tubes on the standard wheels.

Gareth

Thanks for the replies and food for thought (I am now probably more undecided than before).

John / Gareth, thank you for clearing up the tubed / tubeless issue. 

I had of course wanted to maintain the cars originality and stick with the 165/80’s hence the T-track’s, although it is good to hear of people being happy with larger lower profile tyres.

The speed rating is not something I was aware of but have had a good read of a previous thread linked here: 

which seems like a can of worms! 

There is a real limit of correctly rated 165/80 tyres which I guess is why many people have opted for different sizes.

The Vredestein T-track 2’s currently priced at £64 a corner are not of the required spec but the Sprint Classics currently priced at £163 a corner are! They cost more than what I just put on daily driver!! 

I note that some people have spoken to their insurers with regards to putting lower speed rates tyres on their cars but again that seems to divide opinion.

Thanks again for the info so far! 
Cal 

16 hours ago, CalT said:

Thanks for the replies and food for thought (I am now probably more undecided than before).

I had of course wanted to maintain the cars originality and stick with the 165/80’s hence the T-track’s, although it is good to hear of people being happy with larger lower profile tyres.

The speed rating is not something I was aware of but have had a good read of a previous thread linked here: 

There is a real limit of correctly rated 165/80 tyres which I guess is why many people have opted for different sizes.

The Vredestein T-track 2’s currently priced at £64 a corner are not of the required spec but the Sprint Classics currently priced at £163 a corner are! They cost more than what I just put on daily driver!! 

I note that some people have spoken to their insurers with regards to putting lower speed rates tyres on their cars but again that seems to divide opinion.

Cal 

Cal, 

you are correct to say that this is a can of worms, IF you are going down a speed rating from the original spec, likely OK, BUT clear this with your insurance company, then you are belt and braces on the job.

John.

you are correct 

15 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

These are what I use:

165/80 x 15 H

Old style tread, based on Michelin XVS tyre and is H rated. 

Gareth

As fitted to this as well.

Stuart.

IMG_1889 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1892 - Copy.JPG

Thanks again folks, a few options to mull over.

I had come across the RC-001’s the other day, they seem reasonable. Those that use them, are you happy enough with these? I guess so if you would not be recommending them! They certainly fit the look of the car are of the correct rating, and are, for me within a reasonable price bracket.

5 hours ago, glasgow4a said:

Cal you have a PM cheers Ian.

Ian, nothing in the inbox that I can see. 

Thanks again,

Cal 

Just now, CalT said:

Thanks again folks, a few options to mull over.

I had come across the RC-001’s the other day, they seem reasonable. Those that use them, are you happy enough with these? I guess so if you would not be recommending them! They certainly fit the look of the car are of the correct rating, and are, for me within a reasonable price bracket.

Ian, nothing in the inbox that I can see. 

Thanks again,

Cal 

The RC001 is a good tyre and does fulfil all you`ll need, you can even get it with a whitewall!

Stuart.

I ran 195/65 Michelin Pilot Exaltos for 40K miles on my driver '250 and found that (1) ~ 1/2" of tread didn't touch the pavement at 25psi and (2) they are actually smaller in diameter than the 165/80s.

I have been happy with 185/70 Michelin XWX since then, now on my 2nd set. They only went about 25K miles the first round, edges wore first so am inflating them to 26/28 now.

XWX3.JPG

The RC001 tyres are very good which I also have. 

I have just done the TR Register European Meeting and Wales Tour on them total of 3,300 kms  or 2050 miles on them no problem.

Dave from hot Spain

6 minutes ago, Harbottle said:

Is the RC001 only a summer tyre or will it cope in the wet?. I don't use the car in winter but our summers seem to resemble winter at times.

I seem to remember it does rain in the summer from time to time. 

Gareth

On 9/17/2023 at 5:23 PM, CalT said:

Cal 

Hi All

I had the same issue a few years ago.

I wanted to stick to 165/80 15 and looking round i noted that it was either Dunlop Sprint Classics (or similar) at around £200 a corner or Vredstien T Trac2 or Conti CT22, both speed rated as T (118mph) at around £60 ish. (gone up a bit now).

Looked into all of the speed issues and checked with my insurer about fitting TTrac's or CT22's and they were fine with them. Since moved to the TR insurer and they are also fine with that.

I went with the Vredstiens as they have a better wet grip rating than the Conti.

They seem absolutely fine but I don’t drive that fast or do that many miles so no doubt it will be age and cracks that put a pay to them rather than wear.

Cheers   Keith