No garage for dry storage

Hi all,

Have just joined the forum although I have been reading lots as a guest and learned loads.

I know this has been covered (excuse the pun) many times before but please bear with me. I have been wanting to get a TR for many years and I am now able to afford one in good condition. After a long search I have found a TR6 which meets all of my requirements in terms of condition, originality and even colour. I was going to drive up to view it today with the intention of purchasing the vehicle if it was as good in the flesh as in it pictures and description.

However, I do not have a garage available for storage only my driveway. I was thinking of using a full breathable waterproof cover as modern materials are good in terms of breathability and water proofing. I have had great success soring my motorbikes under one.

Last night I was again browsing the forum for recommendations on which cover to go for. Unfortunately, my browsing resulted in me getting the impression that I was totally wasting my time and money buying a TR unless it was kept in a garage or other building and preferably the facility should be heated.

I cancelled my appointment to go and see the car as I wanted to confirm with the forum that I have read and understood previous responses on this matter correctly. My understanding is that trying to keep the car in anything other than an insulated and preferably heated garage would result in its deterioration in a matter of months with the chassis rails and sills corroding though?

Yours, more than a little deflated,

Graham

I have mine in a non heated concrete garage and have had it for 2+ years without any noticeable signs of deterioration. I cant comment on just a waterproof cover but the guy I got mine from stored it under one and chrome had rusted some but I am not sure how long they had been rusting before going under the cover.

Hi Graham, 

welcome to our forum, what a shame your first post is as a result of some pessimism.

I think that in an ideal world, a heated garage would be the ultimate, I have a garage for my TR, but it sure ain't warm in the winter!

I also think that the vision of your car rusting away in a matter of months is a falicey.

A decent breathable water proof cover, whilst not the ideal, would I'm sure suffice, until maybe sometime you could find a loch-up?

You might also bear in mind, that much maintenance/upgrades  is carried out over the winter months, and won't be a lot of fun in the open.

John.

Hi Graham,

if you park a wet TR in a sealed garage it will rusty merrily away on its own.

At least outside you  have a draft to  help drying etc.

Modern covers are very good and will keep your TR happy.  The bubbles are even better - Some have heating and draught fans.

Make sure that chrome is kept clean and waxed - as you would in a garage.

Go get your car - do it now.

Roger

Hi Graham,

After you have bought your TR go onto e bay and buy an Size 3 ( from memory) Outside Carcoon, about £400 second hand. They are double skinned with the outer skin in a UV stabilised aluminium colour.

You can put your TR in at the end of October WET and the inbuilt  system will dry your car ( about 2 days) and store it dry until you unzip it on 1st April. The Carcoon uses 2 x integrated fans about 200 mm dia pulling outside air into the chamber through carbon filters. It’s pretty economical on power, last time I checked it cost about £15… a year.

Mick Richards

Also bear in mind that covers can scratch away at the paintwork if there’s any dirt on it and the wind gets under it. Effectively you have a dry cloth rubbing tiny particles of grit against the paint.

I’m very lucky to have a dry well vented double garage, but my daily driver sits outside in all weathers. 

Just wondering whether you’d be better off fully protecting it with underbody treatment and a good waxing every so often in the winter. It’ll get wet, but it’s 50 yrs old and still around.

Just an alternative viewpoint for consideration and you’ll also drive it a lot more on those chilly sunny days, where normally you wouldn’t be bothered to remove the cover.

Salty roads are a massive no-no of course !

I have an integral garage which keeps the car at a constant temperature and humidity throughout the year, no way would I keep a Classic on my drive under a cover. Not a clue how good Carcoons are should a storm whip up.

They secure at the base to the floor on the exterior Carcoons, you'll see a few around with expensive motors in.

Mick Richards 

I used a cover to store my car on an open  driveway once- it wore the paint away on the corners even though the cover was one of those fur lined things.

There was no significant deterioration of the chassis or any other components, just wear of the paint in the corners back to the primer.

Hi Graham and welcome

What a shame that you cancelled your potential purchase. Whilst not optimal, I think it is possible (especially given the comments of those who have done it) to store a TR on your driveway. Let’s be clear, these cars are fairly robust. It is not going to disintegrate into a pile of rust within a few months (if you were buying an Alfa things might be different!). You just need to take a bit more care than those with the luxury of showroom quality garages. Get the underside thoroughly waxoyled. Wax the body, wheels and chrome thoroughly and regularly (you probably will anyway!). Get the best cover (ideally an external Carcoon) that you can.

Neil raises a good point about insurance but having a car on a driveway will be better than on the road. Insurers will also have some thoughts about mitigating risks so speak to them first. It will be insurable but will come down to price. Where I live in London, even a drive is rare and I know of a number of classic cars that live on the street although I would not do that.

Having said all that a garage of some sort is preferable for protection and security.Not sure where you live but I have a lock up which obviously involves ongoing cost (I don’t even have off street parking). The trade off is that you lose some of the immediacy of just jumping in car. Nothing fancy is required. As long as it is dry and has a good airflow (poor construction usually ensures this in my experience!) your car will be perfectly fine. In 15 years and 3 different lock ups I have never had any rust on tools, cars or damp in the interiors.

So I would suggest you go for it. If you don’t try this, your desire for the car will constantly gnaw away at you. If it doesn’t work at least you will know. 

Hope that helps.

Miles

yes i body sultzed and waxoyl mine and my 5 sat on my mam and dads drive all year drove in the snow etc it was my only car for around 4 years

then married, got house with garage, kids, mortgage, school fees, handbags shoes etc whoops got distracted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Graeme if its what you want go for it

I have had TR’s since 1973 my latest TR7 for 25years and the TR6 for 15. If they are looked after, I find wax oiled helps the body work last, but metal rusts and onward maintenance will be needed, you will have onward costs so be aware. But the enjoyment of owning and driving them for me makes it worth it, not that my wife agrees.  Something you might wish to consider is insurance, many insist it’s garaged sometimes it depends on value, post codes or both whether that’s applicable. Seek out one that suits you needs

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I spent a night surfing the internet looking at ‘Carcoons’ and similar outside cover/shelters. Really can’t face the faff of extracting the car from the bubble shelters and the thought of having a barrage balloon outside my kitchen window is not really appealing :lol:

Did look for lock-up garages in my area and there is nothing in the immediate vicinity. Two downers on that route, it would stop me just deciding to go for a drive on the spur of the moment and I don’t think I could relax with the car in a remote location.

So, my revised thoughts, I have found that there is a Waxoyl centre very near to me. So, what are your feelings about having the car Waoyl’ed inside the chassis box sections, door panels, sills, etc, getting a custom top of the range waterproof cover for the car and treating all brightwork with ACF50 anti corrosion spray for the cold season? ACF50 is a go to for motorcyclists during the winter. Could go really overboard and put an open container of salt in the cockpit, like they do for caravans, to soak up any moisture.

Grham S

3 hours ago, Graham S said:

I spent a night surfing the internet looking at ‘Carcoons’ and similar outside cover/shelters. Really can’t face the faff of extracting the car from the bubble shelters and the thought of having a barrage balloon outside my kitchen window is not really appealing :lol:

So, my revised thoughts, I have found that there is a Waxoyl centre very near to me. So, what are your feelings about having the car Waoyl’ed inside the chassis box sections, door panels, sills, etc, getting a custom top of the range waterproof cover for the car and treating all brightwork with ACF50 anti corrosion spray for the cold season? ACF50 is a go to for motorcyclists during the winter. Could go really overboard and put an open container of salt in the cockpit, like they do for caravans, to soak up any moisture.

Grham S

Hi Graham, I know plenty of Caterham and Westfield owners (to name but a few marques) that have been very happy with Carcoons and never ever heard them complain of any faff so perhaps you might want to see one in person as they're easy-as to use.

Failing that, getting the car protected, with ACF50 is a wise move nonetheless as well as protecting the chrome needs must. I'd never advocate putting salt near a car cockpit personally, on a 40++ year old car!

The UK is still the " car convertible capital " of Europe -  My experience of a British roadster left outside in the winter was damp carpets - to avoid this, I'd remove the carpets in the Autumn and enjoy the wonderful experience of a crisp winters day with the top down !. Leave the carpets in, Waxoyl and a "cockpit" type half cover would be a good way forward and the chance to enjoy your potential TR6 all year round.

feb-02-1957-flood-waters-in-surrey-the-scene-at-hersham-photo-shows-HYNWDR.jpg

Hi Graham

I have kept my TR6 on the drive for the last 4 years and this followed a TR4a and a TR5 similarly 'stored'

I use a good quality cover (replaced at 3-4 years - Hamilton's). I wax the car about three times a year and liberally

coat the chrome in car wax from Nov-March. If a sunny, damp autumn/winter morning I take the cover off for the day.

My insurance is £130 ish per year. 

My 6 has not suffer any 'rubbing' but it was subject to a high quality respray in 1995 by Rees Bros.

I guess a well-aired garage would be best, but I have found my storage method an acceptable  alternative.

Hope that you find the right car.

Ernest

May have come up with a solution to my storage problem.

I have a side access to my garden the other side of the house from the drive. I am just having new gates fitted due to the current ones rotting. If I move the gates forward more in line with the front of the house I have room to store the car in the garden alongside the house. I could then use a Carcoon as it would be away from temptation and the car safe behind locked gates. Can’t really build a garage there due to the slopes but that would not bother a Carcoon.. The car being in a locked area should also help with the insurance.

Thanks for all your help in getting me to think more laterally about the problem. Roll on TR6

For those who asked I am in North West Kent just outside the ULEZ.

Past Triumphs include a Hereld 1200, first car, a Toledo 1300 and a Mk III Spitfire that I restored for my late wife. Always wanted a TR4 IRS but now more taken by the straight 6 of the TR6

Graham S

my twopenneth 

I always apply a light coating of clean oil , with a cloth or spray can, including wheels,  to all the chrome, over the winter months.

Its easy to remove in spring with a little white spirit. I’ve been doing  for 50+ years.

Regarding insurance, I havent found any significant difference in cost for on-drive or in a locked garage classic car cover, maybe the post code might influence this.

My ‘6 is currently under a cover, but I wouldn’t like to leave it there for the whole winter, for both wind and wetness issues, also I need-it  in my garage to work on as its my winter project. So, the MG is off to the dealership for him to sell for me.

A nearby friend uses a carcoon in his drive over winter, and finds it fine.

n.b. out of all the many classics I owned over the years, the ‘6 is probably the best driving sports car I’ve had, So get yourself one.

cheers

Mike