The Beast is for sale

John Dodd built Merlin engined car is for sale now I see, I used to love the stories of him blasting past flat out Mercs and Porsche on the Autobahns back in the day and Irate owners ringing Rolls Royce asking where they could buy their latest model that had just blown them into the weeds.

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1972-john-dodds-the-beast-8bEqL4

Stuart.

Slight tangent 

An old friend of mine was selling his Minerva.   Similar price range but a very different vehicle.  

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/your-classics/your-classics-ed-marriott-and-his-27-litre-minerva-liberty-special/

8C449E96-316A-466C-A9C9-34E2D01A4FAB.jpeg

We usually see two or more of such frightening beasts at Kop Hill each year, along with others having more modest engines (about 10-15 litres).

Very entertaining, as the "bodywork" often consists of little more than a wickerwork seat !

And some are driven by those who, because of age/infirmity, struggle to get aboard - but once aboard, they have fun !

Ian Cornish

Don’t know if I am just getting old and or my dog just dying has made me so miserable……. However, this was a vehicle that filled me with awe back in the day and now I can only see a ‘tatty monstrosity’!?

Sure I will get over it and best of luck to whoever takes it on (at that price!) but, certainly not for me…..

1 hour ago, Tony_C said:

Don’t know if I am just getting old and or my dog just dying has made me so miserable…….

Very sorry to hear that, Tony.

I remember when we lost ours. You must be beside yourself.

Deggers

6 hours ago, ianc said:

We usually see two or more of such frightening beasts at Kop Hill each year,............

Very entertaining, as the "bodywork" often consists of little more than a wickerwork seat !

Like this one, seen about 5 years ago at a local car show ?    Admire the safety of that final drive mech! 

beast.jpg.710165496292148fc9d448b1bbd544f6.jpg

beast2.jpg.e588089da51e406f8d85dc8b50ac6dc9.jpg

Edited by RobH
5 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

“Tatty monstrosity” works for me. 

+1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 11:35 AM, Tony_C said:

Don’t know if I am just getting old and or my dog just dying has made me so miserable……. However, this was a vehicle that filled me with awe back in the day and now I can only see a ‘tatty monstrosity’!?

Sure I will get over it and best of luck to whoever takes it on (at that price!) but, certainly not for me…..

Look what I’ve just gone and done……..:blink:

2BFA01DC-B3C2-4E02-B0FD-C28C7977884F.thumb.jpeg.5d562bc78a7ea4841b413f7ea3de5503.jpeg

1AED277C-1B88-42C4-8019-EDF834F685C3.jpeg

Yep Bob….

Firstly however, apologies to Hamish (all) for my mischievous behaviour….I did not / would not bid on this beast’…

John Dodd was from Epsom and the car has now ‘come back home’ according to his son, Paul, who I was chatting with along with the new custodian whilst trying to get her to fire-up…..think we managed about two cylinders before I finally baled out when they resorted to trying every switch on the dash (which did get the indicator going)

"Look what I’ve just gone and done…….."

Lost all credibility ?

Mick Richards