Ken Munford, R.I.P

Dear All,

It is my sad duty to repot that Ken Mumford has passed away.

He had been in a care home for about 5 years after damaging his back in a fall at home.

Ken was in his 90's so many of you on the forum will be unaware of his contribution to the preservation and restoration of the early cars, but it was immense.

Ken worked in the factory before setting up on his own in west London buying brand new but damaged cars from the factory and restoring them, and this was in the mid 50's. He used to tell me stories about buying the contents of a ship that sunk in the channel loaded with Tr's and other cars for export. Theses cars were stripped and sold as spare parts when spare parts were in short supply,.

This is probably why up until 10 years ago if you needed an obscure part for an early car then Ken would walk down the garden path to his garage, rummage for a while and come up with that elusive part.

It is true to say that Ken was the 'go to' man for parts and advice for early cars.

I remember once when i judged my first concours event with him at the international we walked towards the judging area and he stopped dead in his tracks and his face went white. What's up Ken I said?, Tom he replied you will have to judge this on your own, all the finalists are my customers and i supplied most of the parts for their cars!  Oh how we laughed!

You will find stories about Ken in the pages of Classic cars where the cars he built appeared on the front cover and in articles. His most famous car was the tribute he built of the Jabekke car, perfect in every detail and now residing in a museum in Singapore.

Kens leaves behind a son,daughter and grand daughter.

I will write more another time but am feeling just a little sad at the passing of someone I held to be a good friend to me and the TR register.

Very sad news, he was a great friend for many years and could always come up with something to "get you out of trouble" and always at a very reasonable price. Used to make me laugh when stood in his workshop at the bottom of his garden and a tube train passed literally the other side of one wall and everything in the workshop shook. He will be greatly missed at International and spares days.

RIP Ken

Stuart.

Very sad news indeed.

I spent many happy hours with him in his garage in west london during the late 80's and early/mid 90's. A font of knowledge across the full range of Triumphs

Wonderful, generous man with an excellent sense of humour!

Missing you already Ken. RIP.

p.s Mike is right to point out his correct surname.

I used some suppliers in West London and I was wondering where Ken kept his spares. Please can someone post an address or area so that I can remember where he was ??

I was an early customer at a garage in West London back in the late 60's 

Thanks Richard & B

I second everything said in previous posts.

A great honest person who was the sidescreen guru.

Visited his home many times to collect parts and purchase a car. Regret not purchasing his green TR 2 when he gave me first refusal.

He was everyones friend.

Honoured for his charity work .  

A great person

Proud to have known him

Roy

I really liked Ken from the first time we met, always helpfull, generous with his prices and some great, great stories.!

I too have spent time in the shed, with the trains rushing by,  end of an Era.

RIP Ken, 

Conrad.

A fascinating man, and I too went to his shed, virtually ON the Central Line in Perivale, a number of times, heard his stories, which weren't exaggerated, and bought his always reasonably priced bits.....I was brought up not a mile from him in Greenford and knew him from my late teenage years .The best thing ever however was one of the handful of beautifully done, handmade copies Ken made of the original (and unobtainable) works type TR aeroscreens......fifty quid was all he would take for the single one he sold me. I always tried to get him to make some more but his answer was always"one day....." I still have that original Munford aeroscreen on my TR2, by which I shall remember him.....BTW, I think it was Macau where his excellent Jabbeke replica went rather than to Singapore....it was I believe commissioned from him by someone connected with Eddie Carvalho, the man who won the 1954 Macau Grand Prix in a very early TR2 (yes, really!)  Bill Piggott

Hi Everyone, 

I’m Aimee Ken’s granddaughter, some of you might remember me as the baby. I’m now 26. 

I just want to say a massive thank you for all your kind words. Grandad has left a massive hole in all of our hearts but he’s now back with his lovely wife Jean who you all might remember. 

I will let everyone know on Friday regarding the funeral arrangements. 

Thank you for the bottom of our hearts. 

Aimee and Jane Munford x 

Here are the details for Ken's funeral:

The funeral will be on Tuesday
14th March at 1.15pm
At Breakspear Crematorium
West Chapel
Breakspear Road
Ruislip
Middlesex
HA4 7SJ

Then the wake will be at