Today the garden is wet and cold. The garage is shut to keep the damp out. The wind is too strong to walk the dog very far. So I have a problem in the kitchen, which is warm. 

I have a TAG wristwatch. It has an adjustable ring around the face to allow for timing. The battery has given up and I am looking for a new one. This requires the removal of  the back plate. There are six small slots around the edge of the plate but I have tried with small sharp screwdrivers and there's no sign of movement. So I need a spacial tool to loosen it and then remove by hand. Then I can access the battery and find out the correct number.

I am sure that Ebay will supply the battery but the removal adjustable pin plate tool is more difficult. The two pins to fit in the slots have to be 14mm apart and approximately 1.0 m.m.  deep, with a decent handle/lever so that I can get some leverage without damaging my left hand which will be holding the watch. The watch is supposed to be waterproof but I never get it wet, so that is not important. 

Has any one any suggestions , please. 

Richard & B

An alternative is to take it to your local Timpsons (yes the shoe repairers).  They are quite good at watch battery replacement. 

Beware of replacing watch batteries with cheap EBay ones. I had a battery leak inside a watch and wreck it. Nowadays I go to Timpsons and get them to install one of their lifetime batteries. They seem to last longer and when they do eventually expire I take the watch plus the little guarantee card back to Timpsons and they replace it FOC. 

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, RobH said:

An alternative is to take it to your local Timpsons (yes the shoe repairers).  They are quite good at watch battery replacement. 

I've found them more expensive than a jeweller and unreliable Rob, perhaps I've just been unlucky.

Pete

I actually do it myself now Pete, as I bought a similar removal tool (the three-legged type)*. The only time I went to a jeweller it was something of a rip-off.  I know people who used Timpsons and were quite satisfied. 

* although most of the watches I have are mechanical automatic movements, not quartz. 

1 hour ago, peejay4A said:

Will it also get the sump plug off an A-Type overdrive? :D

I’ve used timpsons on other watches and went for the lifetime replacement battery offer and it worked. 3 years on. 

tag retailers should do it. 

last time I had my omega Co-axial serviced it was £300 but came back like new. ( never take it off - I know about the injury risks !!!)

but that tool looks like your answer with watch face down on a well folded tea towel - as you are in the kitchen.

These were at auction a few weeks ago if you are into watches

https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/CH080322

I used Timpsons for replacing my Tag F1  battery. He assured me they regularly changed Tag batteries, as well as replacing the seal and cleaning it etc ,and was guaranteed. 
I went for the life time replacement offer. 
Was about £70 iirc but that was half the Tag Heuer dealer price for a single ‘service’ . 
I wear it all the time so I should get good value from Timpsons . As long as I don’t lose the ticket ! 

Thanks for the help. I will call Timpsons in Newhaven when they open. If they are not interested I will buy the special blue tool. There is also the use of Diesel fuel which I never used to worry about and the tool is  delivered.

Tanks Richard & B

11 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Timpsons are helpful but charge 89.95 gbp with a lifetime guarantee.  It is much too expensive when I can give the mobile a quick look. I will buy the tool and try harder.

Thanks Richard & B

Ouch!  That is way more than I paid for a lifetime battery for a Skagen a few years (and at least two replacements ago). I paid somewhere in the region of thirty quid.

Rgds Ian

If you have a metal bracelet on the watch Richard, you need to disconnect one end from the watch so it lays out flat. You cant really work the tool inside the loop of the bracelet. 

11 hours ago, Lebro said:

Buy branded batteries (cell's actually as a battery is defined as 2 or more cells connected !)

Bob

And make sure they are genuine, I bought a ‘branded’ Samsung memory card for a dash cam and when it didn’t work it turned out it was copy. 

Rgds Ian

I once read somewhere that you can super glue a large nut on the back of the watch and then use a normal spanner.

I tried it and it worked. Once the battery has been replaced use the nut to tighten it up again.

I forget how I removed the nut, but I must have done it eventually as I still use the watch. I think I may have dowsed the nut in acetone (Pour it down the middle and let it soak for a day or 2. I must have done something to stop it evaperating but I'm not sure what.)

+ 1 for not using eBay batteries. I did once and although the packaging looked genuine Panasonic  I realised it read "Mad in Singapore"

A bit of a give away.

Charlie

I have used this company for many years. Nearer to you than Seaford I would think.

Freepost if you cannot be bothered to drive to Uckfield or Lewes.

https://www.weclarkwatchrepairs.co.uk/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I would concur with Trumpy, if you have a TAG Heuer watch then you have a very good quality timepiece in my opinion. That surely deserves a genuine battery replacement. I have used the Watch Lab now several time over the last 20 years. Expect to pay £45+ for a battery and re-seal. My current battery is now 5 years old and still going strong! (That’s put the mockers on it!!). But, I do believe you get what you pay for!

David

My son has a TAG , and I have a pre merger Heuer . 
Getting a battery changed ….I will be surprised if you will get done at a jewellers or watch repair shop . 
As part from the tools required to open it up , there is another process that is required to reseal the watch to make it waterproof . TAG dealers may have the equipment and technicians to change the battery . My sons watch was sent to TAG . It took him 4 weeks to get it back .

I don’t have this hassle with my Fossil watch . A few quid a H.Samuels !!

Thanks for the post Crawfie. I have given up on waterproof some years ago and I will be searching for a correct battery once I am inside the watch casing.

I did try some local watch shops and jewellers last time and they all turned it down. There was a small shop in Hailsham who replaced it for 14 GBP but I can not find them again. So I am waiting for the new tool and keeping out of the garage and rain this morning.

Thanks, Richard & B

On 11/21/2022 at 5:33 PM, RogerH said:

Pop along to your local jeweler and he will replace the battery for £5(ish)

Roger

Sorry Roger No chance this time