The Queen is dead. Long Live the King

'Tis said that 95% of the worlds population had only known one UK monarch

Says somthing

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

'Tis said that 95% of the worlds population had only known one UK monarch

Says somthing

Yes but that trend is downwards. By 2050 about 16% of the world population will be over 65, versus less than 10% today. (Source: Our World in Data).

Nigel 

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Well I've known 3, & depending on who goes first it may be 4 !!!

Bob

I’m only on my 2nd

I wouldn't say I 'knew' of George VI  since I was only 3-and-a-bit when he died, but I guess I'm a 3 reign-er as well.  

I can recall the street party for the Queen's coronation (still have the mug somewhere).  Food rationing still had a year to go then for things like meat, cheese and cooking fats and sweets had only recently been de-rationed,  so a party was a real treat. 

21 minutes ago, RobH said:

I wouldn't say I 'knew' of George VI  since I was only 3-and-a-bit when he died, but I guess I'm a 3 reign-er as well.  

I can recall the street party for the Queen's coronation (still have the mug somewhere).  Food rationing still had a year to go then for things like meat, cheese and cooking fats and sweets had only recently been de-rationed,  so a party was a real treat. 

So, You can have three crowns on your T shirt. No need for the cricket bat

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/3-Three-Crowns-Tre-Kronor-of-Sweden-Swedish-Coat-of-Arms-Distressed-by-funnytshirtemp/37145637.7H7A9?country_code=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4a2X45uX-gIVyLHtCh2vEwoPEAQYASABEgJfnfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Roger

Edited by RogerH

This is me as The Queen at the Gutteridge Street Coronation Street Party in 1953, I was 3.75. Peace is my Cousin Stephanie.

DCABFAA3-F652-453C-B4C6-A3ECA6C22730.jpeg

As the matriarch of a disfunctional family - Diana, Andrew, Megan/Harry - not to mention her sister Margaret - her life has not been entirely beyond criticism. That said, I'd rather a hereditary monarch than a elected president as head of state, and as that she did an excellent job.

I found the last part particularly moving.  The removal of the regalia from the coffin was a very final act representing the transfer of sovereignty and brought home that the world has changed. The breaking of the Chamberlain's staff and the piper's lament fading into the distance.......

Those things may have happened in past royal funerals but we were not privileged to witness it.  Many of us will never witness their like again. 

Edited by RobH

Fully concour with the above comments about Her Majesty's Funeral.

..and has been said, the pressure particularly on the eight guys, actually lifting the coffin must have been

more than immense, knowing that their not insignificant physical efforts were being watched by an estimated audience of 4 billion!

Very well done those guys.

John.

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Fully concour with the above comments about Her Majesty's Funeral.

..and has been said, the pressure particularly on the eight guys, actually lifting the coffin must have been

more that immense, knowing that their not insignificant physical efforts were being watched by an estimated audience of 4 billion!

Very well done those guys.

John.

I'm sure CIIIR will want to thank them personally.

Pete

Ah, British exceptionalism at its best.   Despite all our other problems we can bury the monarch better than any other nation on Earth.   

The British Army has 485 horses. The Queen loved horses, so why not?  But the British Army has 227 main battle tanks.

A truly wonderful spectacle despite the sad occasion. So sad to see her horse brought out to say goodbye along with the corgis. Only we could have done her proud like that, a pity we cannot export it. A lovely lady deceased but I think the King will do alright. I shall never forget her & the past few days since her sudden sad demise. RIP your Majesty.