Back to school.............

.............then back home to finish off granny.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-children-silent-spreaders-sars-cov-.html

" The infected children were shown to have a significantly higher level of virus in their airways than hospitalized adults in ICUs for COVID-19 treatment"

A grim winter beckons.

Peter

3 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

.............then back home to finish off granny.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-children-silent-spreaders-sars-cov-.html

" The infected children were shown to have a significantly higher level of virus in their airways than hospitalized adults in ICUs for COVID-19 treatment"

A grim winter beckons.

Peter

We've know this for quite some time Peter, asymptomatic carriers. 

Maybe it's time to cull granny and grumpy!

Fewer old folks would mean; reduction in demand on the NHS, reduced pensions outlay for the gov't, additional housing stock coming to market, inheritances meaning improved fiscal position for the following generation(s).

Just a few of the advantages, what's not to like?

23 minutes ago, wjgco said:

We've know this for quite some time Peter, asymptomatic carriers. 

Maybe it's time to cull granny and grumpy!

Fewer old folks would mean; reduction in demand on the NHS, reduced pensions outlay for the gov't, additional housing stock coming to market, inheritances meaning improved fiscal position for the following generation(s).

Just a few of the advantages, what's not to like?

Asymptomatic carriers were assumed to be rare. In this study half the infected children sampled showed no obvious symptoms but carried a high viral load.

University students as well as school pupils present a threat to their families:

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3248/rr-1

- that'll put the dampers on Crimbo for us moldie oldies.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold
16 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

- that'll put the dampers on Crimbo for us moldie oldies.

Peter

Au contraire!

Covid seems to be the perfect excuse to stay home and avoid screaming toddlers, for a wonderful bah humbug Christmas.

Nigel

31 minutes ago, harlequin said:

The only downside of this brave new world is that it has come a little late in life for me :o

George 

George, I'd been expecting a pandemic of some sort for most of my adult life, like many biologists, so am not surprised at the mayhem. Better late than never, eh?

Peter

25 minutes ago, Gordon Bayley said:

Young ones don't seem to start work until there in there 20s ,who will do all the work. :unsure::lol: 

Maybe work will be reduced to the bare essentials: water, food, shelter, clothes, warmth, and broadband. Teenagers seem happy to be provided with that. Perhaps its adults who create unessential jobs?

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I remember a discussion with my wise father, focussing on the fundamental truth that overpopulation was the root of many environmental and sociological ills.  He had a short and interesting reaction when he said "Nature has a way of taking care of that".  He is now 91 with my mum at 88, and we are all squirreled away together trying not to be part of the solution!

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long
3 minutes ago, 2long said:

I remember a discussion with my wise father, focussing on the fundamental truth that overpopulation was the root of many environmental and sociological ills.  He had a short and interesting reaction when he said "Nature has a way of taking care of that".  He is now 91 with my mum at 88, and we are all squirreled away together trying not to be part of the solution!

Cheers

Dan

Dan, Yes, informed pessimism about humanity has survival value. Its going to be a long squirreling for us too. Even an effective vaccine will only have a limited utility , only until the virus  evolves around it. The more vaccines, the more the virus diversifies. Carefree travel will be history. Peter

4 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Dan, Yes, informed pessimism about humanity has survival value. Its going to be a long squirreling for us too. Even an effective vaccine will only have a limited utility , only until the virus  evolves around it. The more vaccines, the more the virus diversifies. Carefree travel will be history. Peter

Not for me, within the UK.

We will be doing all we can to get out and about.

Norwich next week

Arundel in September.

Chester and York in the 1st 1/2 of 2021.

Yes, it will be different, but, I'm buggered if I am going to hide under my bed for the rest of my life.

Hiding never changed anything.  Confrontation is the only way forward with this thing.

If my name is writ large on the left hand page of the big book in the sky, then so be it.  At least I will have gone down fighting.

+1 John.  I have had the best part of half a year stolen from me and I'm buggered if I'm letting them have any more. Sweden got it right as far as I am concerned. 

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, wjgco said:

Not for me, within the UK.

We will be doing all we can to get out and about.

Norwich next week

Arundel in September.

Chester and York in the 1st 1/2 of 2021.

Yes, it will be different, but, I'm buggered if I am going to hide under my bed for the rest of my life.

Hiding never changed anything.  Confrontation is the only way forward with this thing.

If my name is writ large on the left hand page of the big book in the sky, then so be it.  At least I will have gone down fighting.

I escaped from Chelmsford 57 years ago, so your motivation is not for me to doubt ! 

However I have no illusions that COVID-19, even if survivable, has further impacts upon health that are steadily emerging: heart, lungs,  brain etc. Most oldies wont die, but suffer these longer term morbidities. So my attitude is to play for time to allow medicine to catch up. A few more months of playing the hermit seems to me to be a wise sacrifice. Jam tomorrow, for me.

Peter

50 minutes ago, roy53 said:

So you are happy to help it spread  John

25 minutes ago, ntc said:

Yep beggars belief not the best way to represent the club 

I would not panic.

I suspect,as the Imperial College study has found, that far more people have had the virus thann what the Gov't is letting on, and are probably now resistant to a fair degree.

Keep taking high levels of D3, wear a mask and act normal. 

Ask yourself why the Scandinavians have escaped so lightly.

Roger

"Ask yourself why the Scandinavians have escaped so lightly."

Oily fish and not having Public Health England pretending to look after them ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
42 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"Ask yourself why the Scandinavians have escaped so lightly."

Oily fish and not having Public Health England pretending to look after them ?

Mick Richards

Not sure about oily fish but Finland fortifies foodstuffs with D3, has the highest 25(OH)D3 in northern nations ( almost 70 vs UK almost 50 nmol/L) and the lowest COVID deaths. http://www.imj.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Vitamin-D-and-Inflammation-Potential-Implications-for-Severity-of-Covid-19.pdf

Finland learned the danger of advising too little D3 in the 60s and 70s in the mistaken belief that d3 was toxic. As juvenile supplements were lowered, T1 diabetes rose a few years later. The lesson  was learned the hard way. No foods are fortified in UK, except for cornflakes. My cat has better food D3-wise than I do.

Peter

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

I would not panic.

I suspect,as the Imperial College study has found, that far more people have had the virus thann what the Gov't is letting on, and are probably now resistant to a fair degree.

Keep taking high levels of D3, wear a mask and act normal. 

Roger

Roger,

About 6% of England as a whole judging from this study in June-July: https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3224

13% in London !

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

We all make our individual choices, we can see that with our families, friends, colleagues. We are in the careful brigade, but cannot always avoid close contact with other people who are far less concerned. 
The effects On body and brain post-infection can be so severe that we are determined to remain careful, even more as the number of infected people is on the rise.
Luckily we have the luxury to choose, Many people on this earth do not have that.

Waldi

Wash your hands stay a reasonable distance apart and enjoy life.

COVID is on a slow burn through the population until balance is achieved. The bigger the population the longer the process will take especially with the half measures that are in place. NHS England are kidding themselves and the politicians need to be seen to be doing something. D3 levels vary across the UK population based on socioeconomic factors in terms of some groups choosing not to expose their bodies to sunlight which links well to the reported higher death rates in some groups of the population and that they tend to have larger families, live closer together to aid the spread.

One of the interesting things to me is that the government setting up a new department to plan for future pandemics akin to the old civil defence organisation which was largely disbanded shame as I suspect it would have done a better job in ensuring at least enough PPE would have been available. Will the new be any use probably not when all the bureaucrat's have had their fill and agreed nothing of value except a fat pay cheque. Cynical am I.  

Andy

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

Have they? 575 deaths per million of population in Sweden. Finland only 60 per million. Norway 49. Why so much difference between Sweden and its neighbours? Denmark 107, almost the same as Germany.

https://ncov2019.live/data/world

Pete