1965 TR4A progress and restoration

Thanks both, I’ll take a look at the bondarust. Colour choice is a challenge, I’m in thenprocess of painting my 1275GT Bracken which is an odd choice for many but a good one for me more for personal reasons. Complete colour changes are a pain when you are running a rolling resto but all part of the fun. I’ll keep everyone updated. Thanks

hilos4_zps8ee64fa3.jpeg

rearsubby3_zps6b825d2b.jpeg

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Jase said:

Just received the tailpipes, good quality.

IMG_2682.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

Fitted mine a couple of weeks ago. Good quality, stylish and excellent price…big thanks to Demon Tweeks

Here a photo of mine. Agree that the quality from Demon Tweeks is very good for the price (£20 the pair).

David

IMG_1789.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Well, offered them up and they look silly on the exhausts I have. May look to having the rear silencers remade with a larger outlet bore. They should look okay on my Spitfire

Edited by Jase

Some more progress on my bonnet. Can’t belive how thick the paint is on the bonnet, has to be 15mm thick. Whoever painted this car 40 years ago used a lot of filler for some very small dents.

IMG_2748.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

17 hours ago, Jase said:

Some more progress on my bonnet. Can’t belive how thick the paint is on the bonnet, has to be 15mm thick. Whoever painted this car 40 years ago used a lot of filler for some very small dents.

IMG_2748.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

Be careful you dont put too much heat in with that grinder when trying to remove the deep bits. Ive seen it so many times where someones filled something and instead of blocking it down so there is the bare minimum of filler theyve rubbed it down a bit and then realised its not flat so just added more filler and so on.

Heres a classic example, took all that off, lead filled the small spots and it just need a good coat of primer.

Stuart.

Martins TR3a 032.jpg

Martins TR3a 033.jpg

100% in terms of heat, made that mistake many years ago. I’ve never lead loaded but I think a few of the little dings can be taken out carefully but even just a light skim of filler should do it. May have a ho at lead loading though.

Jase, that exhaust is embarrassing, rather like tucking a banana down your budgie smugglers 

11 hours ago, John Mellor said:

Jase, that exhaust is embarrassing, rather like tucking a banana down your budgie smugglers 

Yep, absolutely awful, will need a rethink

Posted (edited)

Back to colours, bought a litre of Primrose Yellow and decided not to use. Now back to green. Looking for a very dark almost black age related green and found these Jag colours. Like the one top left, any other suggestions for a dark BRG.

thanks

PS. The thought of stripping everything back to bare metal changed my mind :) 

IMG_2765.jpeg

Edited by Jase

Those really annoying little bugs are going to be very disappointed in your not going for the primrose yellow Jase.  :D

I'd typed a derogative comment regarding that exhaust tailpipe, but remembered ..just before posting it, that.. just because I have an opinion I don't need to express it.  B)

P1020308s.jpg.800d21ef4d4a66a5eaf0feecfc52f1bd.jpg

..a bit of a dangler.. Now that I'm happy with not having bumpers & their overriders,  I really ought to cut two or three inches off of it, and then with a refresh of its silver paint it'll will do for me.

Re. your choice of colour.   If there's a part of your car that's painted in the colour you like then it's worth polishing it and getting it scanned, for the paint to be mixed from.  Colours on most computer or phone screens is not accurate enough to select from.  On my HP computer's screen ; the top left and the bottom right of your four samples look more blue than green..  At least one of my local paint suppliers can mix up any scanned colour as an aerosol.  I did this with Katie  for some touch-up paint. At the time 400ml cost me £22.  Using aerosol paint you can spray a sample panel to see what it looks like under differing lights.  If it's close but not quite what you're looking for, it's not wasted when spraying underneath the car or under the wheel-arches.     

Otherwise look around newish car lots, even supermarket car-parks to find the colour you most like and from the make, model and years any decent paint supplier ought to be able to find its colour code easily enough.  Any car that been repainted may not be true to the original.   

Pete

You could try Laurel green which is a TR6 colour and not often seen 69/71 code 55

Stuart.

1971_Triumph_TR6_55_Laurel_Green_Todd_Spencer_000.jpg.80232e0b024e3c24d8a70199282654b2.jpg

Edited by stuart

i have used the very dark jaguar D type green and also a ferrari even darker one.

i like them

Thanks everyone, well I now have a choice of Primrose yellow or the very dark Jag BRG which we have made even darker.

Looking forward to eventually putting this on my bonnet:

IMG_2780.jpeg

16 hours ago, Jase said:

Thanks everyone, well I now have a choice of Primrose yellow or the very dark Jag BRG which we have made even darker.

IMG_2780.jpeg

FWIW if its a mixed colour you do need to be aware that there could be a possibility if you do decide its the one you want that a new mix is slightly different if another person mixes it. Thats from years of experience back when everything was painted in celly but there was very limited factory mixes available plus back then often there was a number of shades i.e. Light shade/Dark shade/blue shade/green shade/red shade etc etc.

Stuart.

I'm going to paint the bonnet over the next few weeks (hopefully) and if it is the colour I'm happy with I'll pop back and buy for the rest of the car and store. I've used these guys for years but agree and this was my exact question. Thanks Stuart

Recommend you instead flash spray a piece of metal that will not involve a whole lot of rubbing down again if you don't like the colour.  The bonnet is a big panel and a lot of re-work compared to something like a door skin.  Pete 

20240226_124336as.jpg.efba0e08995ea517955e03bca8d0d85c.jpg

And, "British Racing Green" is a more variable colour than Easter has dates! These are all "BRG"!

image.thumb.png.5b4c174e32c90842dcd5fb6aa5283e79.png

From almost black to lettuce, and it's easier to decide on a match on a big panel.

John

38 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

And, "British Racing Green" is a more variable colour than Easter has dates! These are all "BRG"!

image.thumb.png.5b4c174e32c90842dcd5fb6aa5283e79.png

From almost black to lettuce, and it's easier to decide on a match on a big panel.

John

There are just as many variants in every solid colour under the sun and thats before you start on metallics , e.g. Ford Roman bronze had 12 shades of the same colour.

Stuart.

Stuart.

But French Racing Blue, Blue de France, is a specific shade, with a "Hex triplet" which seems to be an industry identifier, of its own, #318CE7!   So does Italian Rosso red  (#D40000), but I suppose that German silver isn't a colour, just the appearance of sanded aluminium!

John

On 3/13/2024 at 7:14 PM, Jase said:

IMG_2780.jpeg

I would stay away from colours that you have tinted to make darker or lighter. Should you need to buy more in the future it is hard enough with standard colours without adding more difficulty to the equation. And you cannot rely on paint scanners for the correct match either, a friend had his van scanned 3 times and each time the paint was different and none matched the original colour . In the end he gave up and had to live with one panel a different shade to the rest of the van.

Ralph