2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Just watching Morning Live on the biased broadcasting company while I quaff my porridge, a question comes in from the public asking are there any benefits from taking vitamin D? The resident doc says yes, everyone in this country, particularly those with darker skin colour should take a daily supplement. You should follow the advice from the NHS which is to take 10mg, or 400IU daily. One of the resident hosts chirps that she takes 1000IU daily. The Doc, hesitates a little, then says well that’s better than not taking any at all.

I suppose that as ever he can only trot out that line as that is this country’s health department recommendation. I wonder if behind the scenes all these people are shovelling back 1000’s a day like we are?

MPs Davis and Huq will have ensured all the House and the rest of Westmonster are taking D3 for C-19. David Davis takes 6000 IU pd. Political journos working with MPs will be in the know....and their colleagues. The grapevine  is protecting the chattering classes.  Has anyone knowledge of their MP catching C-19 this winter ?  Out of 600 we would expect around 5% (15) to have become infected and a proportion hospitalised. I do not know a single case.

Peter

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

MPs Davis and Huq will have ensured all the House and the rest of Westmonster are taking D3 for C-19. David Davis takes 6000 IU pd. Political journos working with MPs will be in the know....and their colleagues. The grapevine  is protecting the chattering classes.  Has anyone knowledge of their MP catching C-19 this winter ?  Out of 600 we would expect around 5% (15) to have become infected and a proportion hospitalised. I do not know a single case.

Peter

Boris.

49 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

If they had looked beyond RCTs and at higher doses >1000 IUpd, the evidence base is overwhelming for a host of chronic diseases, and collated by Vitamindwiki https://vitamindwiki.com/

They are playing catch-up, at cruise not full throttle. Even NICE accepts  D3 role in gut cancer.

The sunlight "advice" is atrocious.

Peter

As some of you know my son works as an anaesthetist  on ICU.

Here’s some facts his profession would like to

Puts the work load into perspective.

Iain

image.png

image.png

Edited by iain

Terrible work load.  But relief is on the way, from Spain. 80% reduction in need for ICU.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=840017005024119079099104102116127069003015009020000075110025045001116096049101004029042023083005080075096107111039094089118000012042024013067048014027041124008027003076098022014012118012090025120114119075051087062126113105096070102106012006015084021108079104022065010104030067065105125074119&EXT=pdf&INDEX=TRUE

David Davis MP is demanding action:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/study-finds-vitamin-d-reduces-covid-deaths-by-60/ar-BB1dEOBZ?ocid=msedgntp

However, calcifediol is activated D3  ( 25(OH)D3) and not widely available. Spain manufacutres it and recently upped capacity 3-fold.

Our dediicated ICU staff are going to have to hang on until the sun returns and C-19 numbers plummet again. Now why could that be?

Peter

The success of the vaccination programme is clear, as more and more of the usual suspects here report either their jab or their appointment.     New Scientist's current issue has a series of articles reviewing aspects of progress on Covid, including:

"How to give your vaccine a boost" - Avoid stress, easy to say but make sure you get penty of sleep, use Zoom or videochat as a substitute for friendly/family chats (or of course keep posting here!), avoid excess alcohol (an occasional drink may improve response!), and take exercise.   It takes three to four weeks for the immune response to develop, so keep it up for a month.

Other articles include "How to tell if your vaccine worked",  a review of vaccines in the pipeline, including  a pill (!), a report from South Africa on their suspension of the Oxford AZ vaccine, and a main long article on how the hospital treatment of Covid infection has changed and improved.

I could mention that Vitamin D is not mentioned anywhere in the whole issue, but I won't because that would be just poking the bear with short stick.

Iain,

What a well designed "infographic" your son has passed on to us!   From the Intensive Care Society?

It shows the extra intensive care beds that have been created, and that this is eqivalent to 141 new ICUs( a low figure as it assumes 16 beds/ICU - the more usual fugure is much less - see below)     Absolutely brilliant work, typical of the dedication, determination and sheer competence in adversity of the NHS, that other health services find hard to match.    However, the downside has to be pointed out.    These "new" ICUs are nothing of the sort, they are operating theatres and recovery rooms, taken out of service and remodelled to take beds instead of operating tables.  They are whole wards, with half the beds removed and extra equipment installed.

Both of these tactics have, of course, crippled the ability of the NHS to perform non-urgent surgery, and extended the waiting list for that from six months to four years, and counting.   Why has it been so necessary?    This map shows the accessibility to an ICU bed for people across Europe (Bauer, Brüggmann, Klingelhöfer, et al, Access to intensive care in 14 European countries: a spatial analysis of intensive care need and capacity in the light of COVID-19, Intensive Care Med. 2020; 46(11): 2026–2034.)

image.thumb.png.7b459d6528776d6a446c1ff2c6e07e07.png

Accessibility Index is the bed number/100,000 population, locally.  They supplemented this by combining that with the distance that someone might have to travel to get a bed, in a hot/cold spot analysis:

image.thumb.png.bedb1b68f09a88561f41ef5f2fa5347d.png

Clearly Germany is exceptionally well provided, as are parts of Austria and the Baltic States.   Sweden's massive cold sort represents a very sparsely popluated and mountainous region, as do the blue blotches on the French/Italian border, the Pyranees and other mountainous areas.     So might be said for the Engish Lake District, but the whole of the East Coast?  Most of Devon and Cornwall?    England's spotty blue face is explained by this table, showing bed availability in 2017-8;

1981337521_EuropeanICUbeds.thumb.png.55b2c4973480e3ac1dde1934afd5ed55.png

As is painfully obvious, England. even before Covid, had the fewest ICU beds per 100,000 in the whole of Europe, save for Sweden.  Germany had FIVE TIMES more!  This situation has long been obvious in our hospitals, where daily decisons were necessary on two candidates for one bed, or surgery postponed because there is none for the patient who will need it post-op.     This concern has not been recognised, indeed ignored by those in charge of hospital funding, as this is not the first such paper to point out the discrepancy.    

Of course, when a pandemic comes, it is easier to increase the capacity of a large resource than a small one.    The UK has added 2500  'new' ICU beds.   To its pre-Covid stock of 28,000 ICU beds, Germany has added 12,000, again FIVE times as many!

However, and as Iain's son showed us in the ICS infographic, it is impossible to match the increase in beds with an increase in the number of staff, and the staff to patient ratio that in ICU has always been one to one (that's what makes it "Intensive") has dropped almost to catastrophic levels.       A nurse who had one patient now has four to watch, monitor and provide care for.     It is worth noting that on a normal ward, nurse to patient ratios have a good correlation with cross infection, and if one nurse has as many as six patients, the  cross infection rate rises markedly.    The stress on ICU staff has been enormous, not just in workload, but emotionally.   Even dedicated nurses and  doctors - especially the nurses and doctors in ICUs, who become used to seeing suffering and death most weeks - have been seeing it many times a day.     The sense of failure, of inadequacy and pressure towards depression  and burn-out, is overwhelming.   See: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/feb/06/ive-been-called-satan-dr-rachel-clarke-on-facing-abuse-in-the-covid-crisis

There is talk in Westminster of integrating hospital and community care, much needed.  But Intensive care needs funding too, much more than there has been for the last twenty years.   I could need it soon as could many on this board!

John

UK vs Germany,

Just an observation

Odd then the the WHO rate

UK Ranked at number 18 on WHO’s league table

Germany Ranked in 25th place by WHO’s league table 

https://www.aetnainternational.com/en/about-us/explore/living-abroad/culture-lifestyle/health-care-quality-in-europe-and-scandinavia.html

https://www.who.int/whr/2000/en/

Alan

4 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

The success of the vaccination programme is clear, as more and more of the usual suspects here report either their jab or their appointment.     New Scientist's current issue has a series of articles reviewing aspects of progress on Covid, including:

"How to give your vaccine a boost" - Avoid stress, easy to say but make sure you get penty of sleep, use Zoom or videochat as a substitute for friendly/family chats (or of course keep posting here!), avoid excess alcohol (an occasional drink may improve response!), and take exercise.   It takes three to four weeks for the immune response to develop, so keep it up for a month.

Other articles include "How to tell if your vaccine worked",  a review of vaccines in the pipeline, including  a pill (!), a report from South Africa on their suspension of the Oxford AZ vaccine, and a main long article on how the hospital treatment of Covid infection has changed and improved.

I could mention that Vitamin D is not mentioned anywhere in the whole issue, but I won't because that would be just poking the bear with short stick.

NS has failed to mention D3 for the whole of the pandemic. I only renwed my sub so I cna keep tbas on how long it takes them to wake up.  Most of the info they publish is re-heated from phys.org and medicalXpress, three weeks later.

Peter

Slowly, oh so slowly the mainstream press is catching on.  But  I got  this today form the Welsh Minister for Health, replying to my MS who had sent the CMO the Open Letter:

image.png.b4cbe07ffa47482c2d597fdb870501c4.png

Meanwhile, people are needlessly dying in large numbers. Interestig though that the minister replied not the CMO. Perhaps the CMO felt he could nit himself dismiss the evidence in the Open Letter.

Peter

Caught a spot on BBC 1 yesterdau morning on teh programme immediately after breakfast,

(I think 9.15 start) not so much watching as got round to switching off.

there was a doctor on there seemed quite pro Vit D whilst replying to a question.

John.

New variant Covid virus found that combines two previously noted mutations, the so-called 'Kent' B.1.1.7 and B.1.429.  It may allow it to escape the protection of existing vaccines.

The recombinant variant was discovered on the West Coast of America.   I look forward to it being referred to as the 'California' virus!

See:  https://www.newscientist.com/article/2268014-exclusive-two-variants-have-merged-into-heavily-mutated-coronavirus/

2 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

New variant Covid virus found that combines two previously noted mutations, the so-called 'Kent' B.1.1.7 and B.1.429.  It may allow it to escape the protection of existing vaccines.

The recombinant variant was discovered on the West Coast of America.   I look forward to it being referred to as the 'California' virus!

See:  https://www.newscientist.com/article/2268014-exclusive-two-variants-have-merged-into-heavily-mutated-coronavirus/

Perhaps better named the TRUMP virus

21 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Caught a spot on BBC 1 yesterdau morning on teh programme immediately after breakfast,

(I think 9.15 start) not so much watching as got round to switching off.

there was a doctor on there seemed quite pro Vit D whilst replying to a question.

John.

Dr Chris Smith, he is a Dr the BBC use a lot, currently he completing a review into D3 articles and evidence with a view to reporting back on air on the  Colin Murray show on Radio 5 live this week. (tomorrow I think).

Mick Richards

And Facebook gets blamed for spreading 'fake news'!

What has happened is that a study has looked, in theory, at where the next coronavirus pandemic could come from.  In theory, because they used Artificial Intelligence to explore the genetics of humans and other mammals, looking for areas that such viruses could attack.     All valuable work.

But then, how is this  reported?    I swear that I didn't read it from its poxy pages, but the Daily Mail headlined this as, " WILL THE NEXT CORONA VIRUS COME FROM A HEDGEHOG? " 

Well, yes, but in a paragraph that is almost an afterthought, when the main finding is "The most prominent result for a SARS-CoV-2 recombination host is the domestic pig (Sus scrofa), having the most predicted associations of all included non-human mammals."    No mention of Porky in the Mail, which likes its bacon sarnies!

You can read Wardeh, Baylis & Blagrove's paper at: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21034-5